This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasal decongestant

So i am about to see a new ophthalmologist monday, which I hope goes well. Anyway I should have been doing this when i finished school and had some free time instead of now when im about to begin my work life after university. I am trying to get on curing dry eye with only health things (like vitamins, omega 3) and remove anything related to dry eyes. Except my sleeping pill meds, despite side effects I have never noticed dry eye, my mother has also used them for sometime and her eyes are always fine. Even though it states it has dry eyes as a side effect i monitor my eyes carefully and they are never more dry after i take them.

So getting rid of the histamines (which i do notice dry out my eyes) and allergy meds (I have an allergy test soon, but my family doctor said he is more concerned with my dry eyes then allergies so im to cut it out), one thing i am curious about is nasal decongestant. If you look up online decongestants apparently cause dry eye as well. However i took a nasal decongestant for some time. When you look up nasal decongestant you suddenly see very little about dry eyes. So would a nasal decongestant affect your eyes. Or when they discuss histamine and decongestant are they referring to eye drops with those in it? I do notice histamines taken by mouth (allegra) dry out my eyes, but i never noticed a nasal decongestant doing this. Does anyone know if it does?

Im cutting it out as well just to cut it out as it could cause sinus problems anyway, but as far as it making my eyes dry i have never noticed it. Can anyone clarify for me if a nasal decongestant would dry out your eyes? I have never noticed such side effects and i monitor how my eyes react for years to anything i take.

Originally posted by Eyeproblems View Post
    So i am about to see a new ophthalmologist monday, which I hope goes well. Anyway I should have been doing this when i finished school and had some free time instead of now when im about to begin my work life after university. I am trying to get on curing dry eye with only health things (like vitamins, omega 3) and remove anything related to dry eyes. Except my sleeping pill meds, despite side effects I have never noticed dry eye, my mother has also used them for sometime and her eyes are always fine. Even though it states it has dry eyes as a side effect i monitor my eyes carefully and they are never more dry after i take them.

So getting rid of the histamines (which i do notice dry out my eyes) and allergy meds (I have an allergy test soon, but my family doctor said he is more concerned with my dry eyes then allergies so im to cut it out), one thing i am curious about is nasal decongestant. If you look up online decongestants apparently cause dry eye as well. However i took a nasal decongestant for some time. When you look up nasal decongestant you suddenly see very little about dry eyes. So would a nasal decongestant affect your eyes. Or when they discuss histamine and decongestant are they referring to eye drops with those in it? I do notice histamines taken by mouth (allegra) dry out my eyes, but i never noticed a nasal decongestant doing this. Does anyone know if it does?

Im cutting it out as well just to cut it out as it could cause sinus problems anyway, but as far as it making my eyes dry i have never noticed it. Can anyone clarify for me if a nasal decongestant would dry out your eyes? I have never noticed such side effects and i monitor how my eyes react for years to anything i take.

I took a nasal decongestant for about 1 month and I did not notice any effect on my eyes BUT I was warned by my doctor that it could induce more dryness because he was aware of my DE condition. Everything should come back to normal once the treatment is discontinued.

Comment

Working...
    X