Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 years after isotretinion/accutane and still eyes are red and dry.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 years after isotretinion/accutane and still eyes are red and dry.

Although ive been a member on this site I havnt acctualy posted anything about my eyes on here only been reading everyone elses posts to try and find something promising. No such luck yet but im still hopefull I can fix the buggers.

My dry eye eye symptoms are mgd, light sensitivity, sensitive to wind etc, and always inflamed red lids which is a pain. I first startd getting symptoms mid way through my course of isotretinion, but was told my eyes would go back to normal after I was done. Yeah right cheers doc but, Ive got no one to blame but myself really since it was my choice to take the horrible drug all to get rid of acne although is was really bad.

Any ways ive tried a ton of treatments to tried to get some relief but so far nothing has helped much at all.
    -I have tried every artificial tear drops and creams that there is but most made it worse or only lasted for 2 minutes
    -antibiotics, omega 3 6 and 9
    -pilocarpine orally and topicall (this did help taking it orally abit altho had to stop because my heart was going nuts and pupils get dialated which is freaky)
    -meibomiam gland probing didn't help at all
    -punctall plugs all 4 ducts got about an hours relief then back to being dry every time
    - all 4 d tear ducts are now cauterized shut fully in my right eye and about 95 percent in my left.
    -acupuncture
    -steroid drops fml, prednisone and azythromicin
    -antihistimines
    and a few other supplements and treatments I cant remember off the top of my head

My other side affects after I had finished Accutane wether or not they are caused by it pr related I don't know yet include. Seborheic dermatitis, sore joints, white tounge, hair loss and I have a lot of warts on my hands to. Havnt ruled out candida or celiacs since I have a family history of it.
    Other than that I am a fit and healthy 21 year old guy. Any replys or help would be much appreciated.

cheers

Have you heard about autologous serum eye drops, MGP and or lipiflow?

Comment

yes I have heard about them although unsure if they would help me to be honest. I have done the MGP in florida but it basically did nothing for me. I have just went and seen a naturopath and she reckoned I have a candida overgrowth that could be related to my eye inflamation. I have taken a lot of courses of antibiotics in my teen years so I am going to give it a good crack with the no sugar diet see what happens. Although I might wait till after new years haha.

Comment

kiwedryeyes have you considered Scleral lenses? My optometrist has my Scleral lenses made in New Zealand so you could have a faster turn around time for them. Also interesting about how different we all react to medications. I took roaccutane as a teenager and didn't develop dry eyes for another 20 yrs later so I can say it didn't affect my eyes.

Comment

I tried a bandage contact lens but that just annoyed the hell out of me. I have thought about trying sclerals but I still reckon they will annoy me to. it is weird how we all react differently to medications

Comment

Yes, Candida can do that but be wary of naturopaths. I think they really can be helpful, but if you had a serious issue with Candida you'd be having yeast infections, lethargy and some serious sugar cravings. Naturopaths can find a million things 'wrong' with you that aren't really that relevant and then charge and arm and a leg to treat for them. I was told I had a Candida overgrowth by a Naturopath although I had zero symptoms of such and in fact, I didn't. Although, I truly am a big fan of the no sugar diet. Sugar on it's own can cause inflammation with or without the Candida issue. Also, you need to supplement with probiotics to rebalance stomach flora.

Originally posted by kiwidryeyes View Post
            yes I have heard about them although unsure if they would help me to be honest. I have done the MGP in florida but it basically did nothing for me. I have just went and seen a naturopath and she reckoned I have a candida overgrowth that could be related to my eye inflamation. I have taken a lot of courses of antibiotics in my teen years so I am going to give it a good crack with the no sugar diet see what happens. Although I might wait till after new years haha.

Comment

I developed severe mgd following accutane. Testosterone cream and doxycycline helped me but still have light and air sensitivity.

Comment

Yes jelana ristic I too was wary that a naturopath would just assume I had candida simply because I have a couple of symptoms that are sometimes linked with an overgrowth. And they did, but I thought it couldn't hurt to give it a crack since I got nothing to lose and everything to gain. I have a white coated tounge which has diminished but is still there and also seborheic dermatitis which is still there both of these things have been related to candida overgrowth in people and of course my eyes. Ive been on the diet and taking probiotics and antifungal herbs for 20 days now but no improvement in my eyes, f it all. I will stick with it but im not convinced that a candida overgrowth is my problem. I am convinced that there is a solution to this horrible condition that no one seems to understand, it may just take me a long time to figure out.
                Air and light sensitivity are big symptoms of mine to murphy. Redness of my lids is another annoying symptom, they get really swollen too, often after a shower or when exposed to moving air.

Comment

My symptoms started 5 months after finishing accutane. I had red eyelids and could hardly keep my eyes open , could not read or work. I had a meiography and found out more than half my glands had died. I felt hopeless and suicidal. My optometrist told me he had to treat the inflammation first. He put me on lotemax drops and tobradex cream for 1 week. Then I started doxycycline 40mg and testosterone cream daily and hot compress. Ive been doing this since june 2014 and have only recently felt a significant improvement. He told me treating my eyes would be like turning the titanic around and he was right. I wear gunnar optics groove glasses that have a curved frame and wrap around sunglasses outside because i still have sensitivity to air movement and light but im back to working. I hope we can get meibomian gland transplants in the future.

Comment

Working...
                  X