Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a mess! Blood pressure meds & anti-depressants!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a mess! Blood pressure meds & anti-depressants!

I really need some feedback if anyone has any thoughts on this.

I have so much going on right now in terms of medications. Here we go:

I've taken Paxil for over 10 years. About 2 weeks ago I switched to Zoloft (because I complained about always feeling tired to my psychiatrist - he said Zoloft was more "energizing").

I've taken propranolol (a beta-blocker) since January 26, 2008.

Around spring of 2008, I began to have trouble with my contacts. (worn contacts for 16 years).

Around summer of 2008, I couldn't tolerate contacts at all, went to glasses full time.

February of 2009, had PRK. Eyes were okay. A little dry, but I live in the high desert of Colorado so what did I expect, right?

Spent a weekend in the even higher desert mountains in early August 2009. VERY dry air. I called it "crispy" air. My left eye teared continuously while up there.
    A few days later, my left eyelid started twitching continuously.

After 2 weeks of continuous twitching, I saw an opthalmologist, who prescribed FML (steroid) drops.

It was the day after that that I started the gradual switch over to Zoloft from Paxil.

About a week ago, my eyes started to become very dry, burning, it was so hard to look at the computer (I work at a computer all day). I was using non-preserved drops every half-hour, little relief. I use warm compresses. I've been taking omega-3 supplements ever since the PRK. But it's just been HORRIBLE this past week, worse every day.

I decided last night that I have to consider the Zoloft as a contributing factor in this latest dry eye episode. Do you think I might be right??

I called the on-call psychiatrist today (not my regular psyc.) just to ask if it would be safe to quit the Zoloft cold turkey and go back to the Paxil. He said he has "never!" heard of Zoloft affecting the eyes; I didn't mention all the info I found on the internet (actual medical sites!!) stating otherwise. But he did say it was ok to go back to the Paxil.

I'm also going to see my regular Dr. on Monday to discuss changing to a different blood pressure med; seeing as how beta-blockers can dry out the eyes and also the fact that I started having eye problems soon after starting the propranolol.

PLEASE let me know what you think - like if you know anything about this, or have similar experience, etc.
    Thank you SO MUCH for your help, everyone. I love this website.

I think there's eery chance your meds can be affecting your eyes. All the docs will deny this, but I am one who has suffered like you.

My eyes were dreadful on codeine, for example. Docs all denied the possibility.

ANYTHING can dry your eyes out once they've got aggravated, so don't believe them when they deny it.

Comment

I also take propranolol (very small dose) and an antidepressant. Both list dry mouth as a possible side effect, and my thoughts are that anything that dries the mouth can/will dry the eyes. One site - RXlist.com - lists dry eye as a possible side effect of propranolol.

I'd love to get off both drugs and see if there is a difference in my eyes, but then I would probably go back to depression and palpitations Being between a rock and a hard place comes to mind.

Of course, this would not be the sole cause of your dry eye problems, which probably stem from the surgery. They certainly may contribute to making it worse, though.
      Last edited by magoo; 13-Sep-2009, 10:06. Reason: add info

Comment

Around spring of 2008, I began to have trouble with my contacts. (worn contacts for 16 years).

Around summer of 2008, I couldn't tolerate contacts at all, went to glasses full time.

February of 2009, had PRK. Eyes were okay. A little dry, but I live in the high desert of Colorado so what did I expect, right?
        Hi eyes78: The above paragraph tells your story. Your eyes were dry and contacts intolerable so you had PRK. Big mistake. Your doctor whould be horse whipped. So many people turn to PRK/Lasik when they have dry eyes and can't wear contacts any more. This is a big red flag that says "do not turn to RS!"

I don't think your eyes are suffering as much from your medication as from the PRK. You are less than a year out from your surgery and this is taking a long time to heal. People are surprised at how long PRK hurts and takes to heal.

In my 10 years since Lasik, I've taken some meds like HRT and then had to stop. Didn't make a difference to my dry eyes. You can experiment as some find relief with a different med. You should baby your eyes, read what is on the website here, take the Omega 3's, maybe get some Tranquileyes, wear glasses/goggles when outdoors to help keep your eyes moist.
        Best to you, Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

THank you so much everyone.

Lucy, I'm sure that you are correct, that the PRK made my eyes worse.

However, since I can't go back and undo the PRK, I have to figure out how to minimize any and every other possible contributing factor!!

Just wanted to put an update here - I stopped the Zoloft and went back to Paxil. (took a Paxil last night). My eyes are already SO MUCH BETTER. They aren't perfect, but at least they aren't burning anymore and I don't feel the need to put drops in every 10 minutes. So I think I can say with certainty that the Zoloft was drying my eyes out more than they already are.

I'm going to submit this experience to the FDA. Not because I think Zoloft is bad or should be taken of the market or anything (I'm sure it is a great drug for many people), but I want the side effect I had to at least be added to the documentation.

I've spent hours this weekend researching blood pressure meds to see what might be better for me than a beta-blocker. Lots of contradictory information out there.

Comment

These next 6-18 months are a crucial time for you. Your eyes need to stay as moist as possible to have the best chance of healing. And living where you do could make it difficult. But at the very least, you should be taking ALL the necessary precautions RIGHT AWAY!
            Your eyes are obviously inflamed right now. ANd while they are inflamed, they do not heal well. They need to stay moist to heal.

Get some moisture chambers right away, and wear them religiously.
            Also, wear nighttime protection EVERY NIGHT. I would suggest Onyix (they work great for me).
            And maybe plugs for the meantime.
            Stay moist
            And maybe you can get past this.
            Stop stairing at the computer and stressing. It will make it worse.

Good luck!

Comment

Have you thought about talking to your Doctor about getting off the medications? There's an underlying issue that needs addressing I would suggest. There's a reason your BP is high and I can assue you it is nothing to do with you having a medication deficiency , if you understand what I mean.

Good luck.
              Jamie

Comment

Working...
              X