Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to settle into this new normal, have more questions AM dryness, fluctuations

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to settle into this new normal, have more questions AM dryness, fluctuations

Lasik 9 mos ago. Not using any prescription drops or treatments because my eyes seem sensitive to anything I do. I had plugs put in lowers about three months ago. About 1.5 months ago I started to tear excessively and now I have AM dryness that I've never had before. My right eye plug appears to have popped out, but I dont' feel any of my excessive drops going down my duct, so I'm not sure what happened there. So, no drops since I'm tearing so much, but I do put in GenTeal gel in at night (a drop in each eye, close my eyes - have done this from day one), and I've started the past month doing warm compresses, but only once at night and for only about 5-10 min max. Doesn't seem to be doing anything. In a month I seem to have a manageable week, two rocky weeks and one bad week! Which would be easier to figure out, but the symptoms keep changing which scares me.

1. Has anyone after Lasik had so much variation of symptoms? It seems like you name it, I've experienced it (stickiness, grittiness, foreign object sensation, pain, too many tears, too few tears, eye lids puffy, etc.) (except maybe a corneal erosion thankfully). Any advice on how to deal with such fluctuations?

2. Morning dryness - what are the causes? Why would I just experience it now, 9 months into this?

thanks for any thoughts on this,
    Margaret

Originally posted by Margaret View Post
    1. Has anyone after Lasik had so much variation of symptoms? It seems like you name it, I've experienced it (stickiness, grittiness, foreign object sensation, pain, too many tears, too few tears, eye lids puffy, etc.) (except maybe a corneal erosion thankfully). Any advice on how to deal with such fluctuations?
    Margaret, you know how I relate to this? It makes me think of how some of my vision was in the first year. (Actually a lot longer than a year I suppose but I was more or less used to this particular weird aspect and stopped caring after those first months.)

I remember the diplopia and the weird shaped haloes I got. I have surprisingly vivid memories of the way red traffic lights looked to me, for example. They would change daily for awhile. Then they'd settle into a sort of pattern. Then everything would change. Then settle. Then I'd get something completely new. And on. And on. And on. Whenever I thought it was finally stable, it changed. It was really just the combination of the epithelium resettling plus a poor, unstable tear film. I know that now, but I didn't then, so it was kind of unnerving.

Lucy used to always say these variations were due to the color of our socks. I figger she's probably about right.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X