Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have info on corneal cross-linking?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have info on corneal cross-linking?

I am 2 years post Lasik at the end of this month. I had life changing complications, dry eye is just one of them, and I have been under the care of several doctors. Only 2 of them have I thought worthy enough to visit more than once. One of these doctors, who is in Chicago, has fitted me with Sclerals. Although I am on my 4th or 5th set they just don't help. Now he is recommending that I get a procedure done called corneal cross-linking because he feels my corneas are "unstable" and with the procedure I should be able to wear a soft lens in the eye that has been overcorrected without all the visual problems I am currently experiencing. My right eye is the predominately dry eye between the two and I thank God that it isn't the overcorrected eye, although I do have dryness issues periodically. I'm sure I have older posts somewhere on the board that go into all the details of many of my many complications but I am just not motivated enough to list them all, sorry.

It's been a while since I have posted because revisiting the forum reminds me of just how awful my eyesight is. Kinda like a protective response, I guess, but now I'm forced to revisit this nightmare I call my eyes once again.

Does anyone have experience or information on corneal cross-linking or where I can go to get unbiassed information on the benefits and drawbacks? The last thing I want to do is throw more money at my eyes and, quite frankly, I'm scared to death to have anything else done, but when you think there may be that one last glimmer of hope around the next corner... I guess we all keep searching, eh?

Thank you.

I am so sorry to hear that you are having to go through all of this. I am only 8 weeks post lasik and I honestly don't know how people manage to carry on. I have some vision issuses on top of my dry eye: overcorrection to +1.25 in my dominant eye. Poor low light vision in other eye. And both eyes are dry with poor response to drops.

I have heard of corneal cross-linking. I didn't think it was available in the States, but I believe it is available in Canada.

Best of luck on your research.

Comment

It saddens me to hear that your symptoms are similar to some of mine. I, too, was overcorrected to +1.25 in my non-dominant eye. There have been many times I wished it were my dominant eye that was overcorrected. My problem is I suffer from double vision in one eye and triple in the other - not a good night vision equation, either.

If it's any hope to you, I was very dry near the beginning of my ordeal, which brought me here to the forum, but have since been doing better. Much better in the left eye and manageable in the right. My overcorrection has regressed a bit; +.50 according to one of my doctors but I'm not convinced.

Hang in there and don't give up.

Comment

Corneal cross linking essentially ages your cornea. Its primary target is patients with kerataconous(thinning of the cornea). Imagine a spaghetti noodle after cooking, it is limp. That is a healthy young cornea, if it was unattached to the globe. After cross linking the cornea stands straight out like an uncooked spaghetti noodle. So cross linking makes a nice pliable cornea stiff. The only things I have heard cross linking used for is ectasia and kerataconous.

Comment

DG65,
          Thank you for your words of encouragement. I am so sorry to hear of your vision difficulties. There is another site that addresses laser vision issues, maybe you are already familiar with it, but in case you are not, here is the link. There may me someone there who has info on cornea cross linking.
          http://www.lasermyeye.org/

Comment

DG,

Why is this doctor recommending corneal cross-linking? Do you have ectasia? If not I would be very wary of this doctor. I don't think CCL is for more subtle disorders like the one you are describing.

If he does say that you have ectasia, then you need to go see someone for a second opinion/diagnosis. Just my opinion.

Rose

Comment

Sammy B,
              My vision seemed to fluctuate with the Sclerals. Even after the 4th or 5th set and the doc seemed to think I had soft corneas which is why he recommended cross linking. I thought I was in good hands when it all started, now I can't help but feel he was just another doctor who took my money and is pawning me off on somebody else. Strange thing is my vision doesn't seem to fluctuate when I'm not wearing any lenses.

indrep,
              Your post just flat out scares the crap out of me. And I mean that with respect.

bella_girl,
              Thanks for the link... I'm a member there but feel more at home here. I have a couple acquaintances here and one special friend who I contacted thinking I could help her and she has helped me more than she'll ever know and continues to do so. I may post there when I get up the nerve to.

Comment

Working...
              X