This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasik Dry Eyes

I had Lasik 7 months ago and have been dealing with dry eyes like many of you. The first 3-4 months were probably the worst months of my life. It sounds dramatic but I never have felt so terrified/anxious/depressed and so mad at myself for going through with lasik (I tried to back out the day before and got talked back into it). I kept reading on this website that time would make things better and it actually has. My eyes are still pretty dry but I am not anxious 24/7 which I am very thankful for. I am currently on Restasis 2X day, Lovasa 2-3 X day, goggles and Refresh PM at night and have lower plugs. My drops have cut down quite a bit durning the day because they offer temporary relief. I am hoping that the prescription of time will work for me and I will be a triumph story at my 1 year mark. This website has been a lifesaver for me so I hope I can offer encouragement in the near future!

BTW...I am a 41 year old female, my vision is perfect (thank god)!

hi cafe41,

Welcome to DEZ . . . although I do wish you didn't have to be here. I am six months post lasik and while I see some improvements, these past five months have been . . . the most trying . . . most agonizing months of my entire life. I am a female in my early fifties, with no prior history of dry eyes. I understand what you are feeling and please understand that you are not alone. What I have learned on this site is that understanding and controlling the anxiety related to what we have gone through is key in surviving!! I have vision issues in addition to my dry eyes, a double loaded barrel As a result, I have had terrible pain above my eyes. I had attributed this to dry eye pain, however, I think it may be primarily due to muscle strain. Out of sheer frustration or desperation, I have learned to control the pain that I experience. Through yoga type relaxation exercises I have been able to relax the areas above my eyes and obtain some relief from the excruciating pain.

Please do not feel angry with yourself for going ahead with the lasik procedure. You, like many of us, trusted in the authority presented to you by medical doctors. It is the medical profession that needs to be ashamed of itself for allowing people to me deceived by the lasik procedures. You are not to blame. We all heal differently and we need to acknowledge that time will heal our injuries. Continue to do what feels right for you. Once again, we are all different and there is not one single treatment remedy which will work for all of us.
    I did get so depressed that I thought antidepressants were the only possible route to help me. Unfortunately . . . or fortunately, because it always depends on how we look at our situation, the antidepressants made me feel much worse, physically and emotionally. The antidepressant route led me to discover eye relaxation exercises which have helped tremendously in allieviating my 'dry eye' pain.

If you can learn to come to peace with your anxiety and to accept where you are now with you eyes, you will
    have come a long way to healing your eyes. Remember that your body has remarkable healing abilities. This can only happen if you let go of the anxiety, fear, and anger and let your body do the work that it is capable of doing!

I wish you the most success with your dry eyes. Thank God that your vision is perfect : )

You are not alone,

Hopeful2

Comment

Cafe41, I'm sorry to hear you're suffering with dry eyes. I have been through what you are going through. My dry eyes seemed to be at there worst around three months after lasik and have gotten a little better over the months. I'm now one year and two months post lasik and am still suffering with these terrible dry eyes although I have perfect vision. I will tell you I felt I was at the edge of insanity for a little while there. This forum has been the best thing for me learning how to try and manage the pain and disscomfort. I have had to make a few life changes but once you learn to try to live around your dry eyes and except it, it will get better to deal with. I'm not saying I don't still have my low moments but I try and pick myself back up and live my life. Now, just because I'm telling you my story doesn't mean yours will be the same. I have seen people who got to there eight months or a year and felt much better and I hope this will be you. Also, I can tell a difference in the seasons and the weather. Winter time is rough on everyone with dry eyes and rainy humid days seem to feel better. Anyway, I wish you the best and you are at the right place to find support. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you for the encouraging responses! Your support is very much appreciated

Comment

cafe41 I wish you all the success with your recovery and finding this website was a huge help for my own healing process. Just connecting to others who have gone through what I have was a positive for me. I understand exactly what you have gone through with the anxiety and depression and have went through it myself after my lasik eye surgery. You are not alone!
          I wish you all the best.
          fiddle

Comment

Great Advice, Hopeful2

Cafe42, Welcome, this is a great site. I just wanted to say that that's great advice from Hopeful2. I have so much anxiety because of all this, and I KNOW it's only making things worse. They want me to go on antidepressants but I've never been able to tolerate them in the past. I need to accept where I am right now, and learn some relaxation techniques; I imagine that would help alot with the relentless anxiety. And that would help the eyes heal.

Originally posted by Hopeful2 View Post

If you can learn to come to peace with your anxiety and to accept where you are now with you eyes, you will have come a long way to healing your eyes. Remember that your body has remarkable healing abilities. This can only happen if you let go of the anxiety, fear, and anger and let your body do the work that it is capable of doing!

Hopeful2

Comment

Working...
            X