This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really hate lasik

Well, tomorrow is my first day back from summer break. My eyes are no better than when I left in May. I was really hoping the summer break would help me recover, but it hasn't. So life goes on. But tomorrow is going to be different. I go back to work wearing moisture chambers, ziena oasis to be exact. They were all I could find that did not look so goggley. It is going to be so hard to wear them in front of my colleagues and then when the kids come back in front of my students. I read some archive posts where some other teachers wear the glasses. I am so scared. I don't know why. I have to do what makes me feel better. I don't like to draw attention to myself, but these glasses most certainly will for the wrong reasons. I needed to vent. Thanks for listening and I really hate lasik.
    Lasik victim 2012

You're not alone in hating LASIK. I got my one week anniversary coming up this Friday that will be something to celebrate! I'm sure your students won't make a big deal out of your goggles and once they have seen you in them it won't be a big deal to them. Good luck.

Comment

Just pretend you look like the old you, that'll help you ACT like the old you - maybe start the class by explaining the glasses so you get that out of the way and no-one will be wondering what's going on anymore after that. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by most people's reactions though... I always feel like a weight has been lifted once I explain myself to new people - it allows me to stop worrying about what they're thinking since now I KNOW that they know why I have all these little odd things I do for my eyes. AND, explaining your situation helps get the word out that LASIK does not always work out perfectly.

And you can count me in for hating LASIK... worst thing I've ever done in my life. BY. FAR.

But on the bright side, life goes on... and you can be happy anyways

Comment

I agree with SAAG that the best thing to do might be to just tell the kids straight up a brief explanation of why you are wearing the glasses. It might be embarrasing but it will stop kids gossiping or giggling about why you are wearing those glasses, which would be worse. They aren't going to gossip about you if they already know the very simple, and to them boring, explanation. Also probably the same thing for your colleagues, I've explained to my team simply that I have eye problems and that stopped them asking about constant dropping, sunglasses, etc.

Comment

I always like to think that if one person is helped by my life situation then it was not in vain. I am guessing there are others suffering the same circumstances with no idea what options exist for relief. I am also guessing there are others contemplating having a procedure that they have only been told great things about, about happy they may be to learn the other side.

Comment

It's not so much not being told that dry eye is a possible outcome going into LASIK, I was aware that the possibility however small existed. The problem is that the LASIK companies downplay dry eye as nothing more than a very minor inconvenience that can be easily rectified with eye drops. I had no idea dry eye could be as debilitating as it is until after I had it by which time it's too late.

Comment

My LASIK company did not even tell me this could happen. The consent form was not sent home with me either. I had no idea what was wrong with me until I started researching it. The doc kept telling me afterward that it will get better and dryness is normal. I am now dealing with this for over 6 months. I really did not want to become the poster child of bad LASIK outcomes. It is really not fair. Thank you everyone for the responses. I know some of you have been dealing with this for so long. I feel like I keep whining about the samething. It's done and I can't do anything about it. I keep hoping and praying it will get better. Thanks for listening.
              Lasik victim 2012

Comment

Originally posted by jax8it View Post
                Well, tomorrow is my first day back from summer break. My eyes are no better than when I left in May. I was really hoping the summer break would help me recover, but it hasn't. So life goes on. But tomorrow is going to be different. I go back to work wearing moisture chambers, ziena oasis to be exact. They were all I could find that did not look so goggley. It is going to be so hard to wear them in front of my colleagues and then when the kids come back in front of my students. I read some archive posts where some other teachers wear the glasses. I am so scared. I don't know why. I have to do what makes me feel better. I don't like to draw attention to myself, but these glasses most certainly will for the wrong reasons. I needed to vent. Thanks for listening and I really hate lasik.
                I am the guy who hates to draw attention. So I understand your worry about wearing moisture chamber glasses. I had to start wearing them in front of my colleagues (and bosses), and this month I had to start wearing them in front of my new colleagues in my new job. I wear Wiley-X, that is goggley in my small face. What I can say is that we think ourselves freaker than other people see us when we are wearing them. Your students and friends will be soon used with your new look. It is not as bad as we, shiy people, think it is.

Comment

Jax,
                  How did it go today??

Comment

Originally posted by robster View Post
                    It's not so much not being told that dry eye is a possible outcome going into LASIK, I was aware that the possibility however small existed. The problem is that the LASIK companies downplay dry eye as nothing more than a very minor inconvenience that can be easily rectified with eye drops. I had no idea dry eye could be as debilitating as it is until after I had it by which time it's too late.
                    That really makes me mad too, even though I've never had Lasik. All docs downplay dry eye as a minor thing and you just need to use drops sometimes. I think that any surgeries (particularly elective ones) that may cause dry eye should be legally required to contain graphic descriptions of what it is like to have severe dry eye. Never going to happen though I guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X