X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Here, Have Questions

Hi,

I had LASIK 5 1/2 months ago, and have 20/15 vision, when my eyes aren't dry (they are everyday), and I"m getting worried that this is a permanent thing. A few questions:

- It's really bad a night and driving, with lack of clarity, starbursts, lack of contrast sensitivity. It clears up for a few seconds after I put drops in, and then goes back. My doc says it's likely dry eye, because I don't have a major astigmatism. Are there any glasses/contacts that can help me for night? My husband says, that since it is dry eye, there is nothing that can help but for that to clear up

- Did anyone see things really start to clear up at the 6-7-8 month mark?

- I've been using restasis, plugs, everything possible. I wonder if I should continue restasis - it's not doing a great job, obviously, and it's very expensive

- I've heard that some people have good luck with Azasite. Should I talk to my doctor about getting this?

- I have emotional trouble with this stuff sometimes. Some days, I'll have a pretty good day, and think it's getting better, and then the next day it will be bad - - it's like a Jekyll & Hyde existence. Does anyone else suffer from "I can't believe I did this to myself guilt?" My husband keeps telling me to leave those thoughts unsaid, but it's hard not to.

- This has somewhat affected my social life - - I'm not as interested in doing things, because dry eye makes me feel tired.

- I'm anxious about winter coming - - that might make my dry eye worse (heating, etc.) Any advice on how to deal with that?

- I've heard someone mention that testosterone can help women over 40 - I'm 41 - should I consider this? I'll consider anything at this point.

Thanks for your help. I'd love to hear some success stories about LASIK people that have overcome this. Hopefully, in time, that will be me!

- Chandra in Minnesota

Hi Chandra and welcome!

Originally posted by Ccoughlin View Post
    - It's really bad a night and driving, with lack of clarity, starbursts, lack of contrast sensitivity. It clears up for a few seconds after I put drops in, and then goes back. My doc says it's likely dry eye, because I don't have a major astigmatism. Are there any glasses/contacts that can help me for night?
    It MIGHT be dry eye but bear in mind but bear in mind there are better explanations for this than dry eye. In fact they're common symptoms to have after LASIK in the early months. There's not a lot you can do about this right now because you need to see how things will settle out (you may see improvement over time). But in the long term, IF it persists and assuming you really don't have much astigmatism, you should get wavefront aberrometry testing done. These symptoms are normal when there is a relatively high amount of spherical aberration. This affects you at night because your pupils are at their largest then and so you're 'looking through' more cornea (more aberrated cornea). - In the long term IF aberrations (HOA) are the problem then some people get specialty gas perms to wear, some people use some drops occasionally in the evenings that shrink their pupils for awhile, and some people just get used to it.

Did anyone see things really start to clear up at the 6-7-8 month mark?
    It's pretty common in the medical studies for people to show improvement at that time or anytime within the first year.

I've been using restasis, plugs, everything possible. I wonder if I should continue restasis - it's not doing a great job, obviously, and it's very expensive
    My question would be: WHY are you using them. To be comfortable, to improve your tear film (i.e. dr is saying you have a lot of surface dryness and you need these things), or for your vision. If you're doing it solely for vision, I would go ahead and get some better testing because if your vision issues are due to HOA, all the dry eye treatments in the world won't help it.

I've heard that some people have good luck with Azasite. Should I talk to my doctor about getting this?
    What are you trying to treat? Do you have bleph?

I have emotional trouble with this stuff sometimes. Some days, I'll have a pretty good day, and think it's getting better, and then the next day it will be bad - - it's like a Jekyll & Hyde existence. Does anyone else suffer from "I can't believe I did this to myself guilt?"
    That's normal. Absolutely normal for people going through this. In fact most end up some kind of of depression treatment.

My husband keeps telling me to leave those thoughts unsaid, but it's hard not to.
    All due respect to your husband but NO NO NO don't leave them unsaid Might have to be careful who you say them to though as not everyone can understand. Say them here where it's safe and everyone understands and can help. Say them to the shrink too
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X