Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come you get dry eye several years post LASIK?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come you get dry eye several years post LASIK?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to understand my dry eye condition - I had lasik in 2005 or sth, and was fine for a few years - just some minor dry eye in the mornings. Then, two years ago I started to become photophobic, and this summer everything went completely downhill. I thought I had some kind of corneal neuralgia (I didn't get any examination done by anyone knowledgeable in that field though, so it's just my theory). I do have a pain in my left eye that is more of a "pain pain", apart from the dry eye pain. It has become much better with treatment though (serum tears and antiinflammatory drops) and now the dryness is a much bigger problem. For a while it has been more or less managable, but now it has gone downhill again.

Anyway, I'm trying to understand this thing and I find it hard to, so I wanted to ask you: If nerves are severed during the Lasik surgery - howcome severe symptoms show up only after several years? I'm only 31 so I haven't hit menopause or anything. I had a confocal done after using serum tears for two months and the doctor said I have "normal looking nerves". Using serum for almost two additional months hasn't done anything for my dry eye condition as far as I can see though, and this has been a huge disappointment for me.

So what's happening? I guess it can be many things, like an underlying condition such as autoimmune disease, but I don't really have any other signs as far as I can see. Or is it vulnerable nerves growing out after Lasik shutting down/changing receptor expression etc as the years go by? Or the corneal environment is compromised and you get an inflammation which never resolves, which produces pain-producing cytokines etc and compromises nerve function and creates a vicious circle? Or - is there something strange happening in the areas of the brain involved in the tear reflex arc, which makes it shut down tear function?

I'm grateful for thoughts. I studied a few years at medical school, and when I was hit with this I got very motivated to go into research concerning this topic. Unfortunately, I don't have the strength right now. But it would be nice to have some ideas on plausible mechanisms. I mean - it's not hard to understand why you would get dry eye immediately after Lasik, when the nerves are severed, but... I started thinking about whether I had quite dry eyes all these years but only recently got symptomatic because inflammation reached a treshold.

Recently, my main interest has been in reading about small antiinflammatory lipid mediators, like neuroprotectins and resolvins, which are synthesized from omega 3 fatty acids like EPA and DHA. There are some animal studies on dry eye models which sound promising, and I'm thinking about ordering this compounds myself to create my own eye drops, since they don't seem to hit the market anytime soon.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19797230
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22257864

And for you Sjögren's sufferers out there - if you have Sjögrens, can you still cry normally, or is that function compromised as well? I have no trouble crying.

Hi again, just wanted to say something not to discourage all you serum users out there unnecessarily - I've been in contact with Dr Pedram Hamrah about this, and he said that 4 months is not very long time to use serum for severe dry eye - more like 6-9 months.

/Maja

Comment

Maja... so it takes about 6-9 months for serum to help?? even someone who hasnt had lasik ? i have sjogrens and mgd.... I am on my 4th month.. 3 months of 20% and 1 month of 50%... in a bad flare up now..... u just got my hopes up... thnks so much..
      Jenny

Comment

Hi Jenny, from what I understood, that might be the case. But I'm not sure about for other causes. Here's an article abstract by Hamrah et al in case you haven't read it.

http://kenes.com/iser2012/abstractcd/pdf/O320.pdf

Hamrah said that in severe cases platelet-rich plasma could be another option to maybe accelerate the process:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17374962

Take care!

Comment

Jenny - I wanted to ask you - do you have any other symptoms from your Sjögren's than dry eyes?

Take care, Maja

Comment

The numbers of subbasal nerves appear to decrease between 2 and 3 years after LASIK

http://www.iovs.org/content/45/11/3991.full

"The numbers of subbasal nerves appear to decrease between 2 and 3 years after LASIK"

Originally posted by lelagy View Post
            Hi guys,

I'm trying to understand my dry eye condition - I had lasik in 2005 or sth, and was fine for a few years - just some minor dry eye in the mornings. Then, two years ago I started to become photophobic, and this summer everything went completely downhill. I thought I had some kind of corneal neuralgia (I didn't get any examination done by anyone knowledgeable in that field though, so it's just my theory). I do have a pain in my left eye that is more of a "pain pain", apart from the dry eye pain. It has become much better with treatment though (serum tears and antiinflammatory drops) and now the dryness is a much bigger problem. For a while it has been more or less managable, but now it has gone downhill again.

Anyway, I'm trying to understand this thing and I find it hard to, so I wanted to ask you: If nerves are severed during the Lasik surgery - howcome severe symptoms show up only after several years? I'm only 31 so I haven't hit menopause or anything. I had a confocal done after using serum tears for two months and the doctor said I have "normal looking nerves". Using serum for almost two additional months hasn't done anything for my dry eye condition as far as I can see though, and this has been a huge disappointment for me.

So what's happening? I guess it can be many things, like an underlying condition such as autoimmune disease, but I don't really have any other signs as far as I can see. Or is it vulnerable nerves growing out after Lasik shutting down/changing receptor expression etc as the years go by? Or the corneal environment is compromised and you get an inflammation which never resolves, which produces pain-producing cytokines etc and compromises nerve function and creates a vicious circle? Or - is there something strange happening in the areas of the brain involved in the tear reflex arc, which makes it shut down tear function?

I'm grateful for thoughts. I studied a few years at medical school, and when I was hit with this I got very motivated to go into research concerning this topic. Unfortunately, I don't have the strength right now. But it would be nice to have some ideas on plausible mechanisms. I mean - it's not hard to understand why you would get dry eye immediately after Lasik, when the nerves are severed, but... I started thinking about whether I had quite dry eyes all these years but only recently got symptomatic because inflammation reached a treshold.

Recently, my main interest has been in reading about small antiinflammatory lipid mediators, like neuroprotectins and resolvins, which are synthesized from omega 3 fatty acids like EPA and DHA. There are some animal studies on dry eye models which sound promising, and I'm thinking about ordering this compounds myself to create my own eye drops, since they don't seem to hit the market anytime soon.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19797230
            http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22257864

And for you Sjögren's sufferers out there - if you have Sjögrens, can you still cry normally, or is that function compromised as well? I have no trouble crying.

Comment

Working...
            X