This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bak!!

Does BAK cause your eyelids to swell up a bit and turn pink? I got a little debris stuck in my eye as I was doing something in the Lab and my supervisor helped flush my eye out with this flush bottle that had "purified water" in it. The debris came out but my eyes felt a bit wierd. I went into the bathroom and they looked RED. It was a 32 oz bottle, of which more than 1/2 was used to flush my eyes. I looked at the ingredients and the second ingredient in it was BAK!! Could this BAK stuff turn one's eyes red and inflame the lids like it did mine?? Is it very drying? When does this awful feeling go away??

-Marc

i cannot use anything with BAK in it--- my eyes get horribly red and irritated as do my eyelids and margins.. it also disrupts my tear film--so now i get everything from a compounding pharmacy for preservative free.. i cannot tolerate it.
    Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by ms11369 View Post
      Does BAK cause your eyelids to swell up a bit and turn pink? I got a little debris stuck in my eye as I was doing something in the Lab and my supervisor helped flush my eye out with this flush bottle that had "purified water" in it. The debris came out but my eyes felt a bit wierd. I went into the bathroom and they looked RED. It was a 32 oz bottle, of which more than 1/2 was used to flush my eyes. I looked at the ingredients and the second ingredient in it was BAK!! Could this BAK stuff turn one's eyes red and inflame the lids like it did mine?? Is it very drying? When does this awful feeling go away??

-Marc
      Hi Marc,

In my case , every time I went to my eye doctor and he put into my eyes either numbing/dilation eyedrops which contained the BAK preservative, my eye lids would get swollen. I also got other symptoms as well (i.e.,pain, redness, tearing and photophobia).

Needless to say, after getting a number of these reactions to the BAK preservative that is found in the numbing/dilation drops he was using, my eye doctor decided not to use them! Lucky me!

I think this might be an allergic reaction/and or intolerance to the preservative BAK and I venture to guess that a number of DEZ forum members probably have experienced similar reactions to this preservative.

Pam

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. My lid redness took more than 24 hrs to subside. Seems like i def reacted to it. I know we use that stuff for skin/eye flushes but now I do know that it simply is NOT for me. I'm gonna carry a small bottle of unisol in my briefcase from now on. I used generous amounts of it and never had a single problem. BAK sucks...my eyes aren't happy with something that has BAK in it.

Comment

Working...
        X