This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naphcon-a and other vasocontrictors

I've been using naphcon-a since a few days and my eyes have never been this white in years! The only problem is it makes me very drowsy like all other antihistamines. The vasoconstrcting ingredient in naphcon-a is Naphazoline Hydrochloride @ 0.25mg/ml. I'd like to replace naphcon-a with another vasocontrictor, pref. containing Naphazoline Hydrochloride because it works very well. Can anyone recommend me an alternative?

I read about visine, is that any good?

Visine maximum redness relief with hydroblend moisturizer.
    Glycerin 0.2% - Lubricant
    Hypromellose 0.36% - Lubricant
    Polyethylene glycol 400 1% - Lubricant
    Tetrahydrozoline HCl 0.05% - Redness Reliever

Visine advanced relief
    Dextran 70 0.1% - Lubricant
    Polyethylene glycol 400 1% - Lubricant
    Povidone 1% - Lubricant
    Tetrahydrozoline HCl 0.05% - Redness reliever

Visine L.R.
    Oxymetazoline HCI 0.025% - Redness reliever

Thanks!

Anything that "gets the red out" is a big fat NO. It's the worst thing you can get as far as eye "drops."
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
      Anything that "gets the red out" is a big fat NO. It's the worst thing you can get as far as eye "drops."
      Can you please explain why it's not wise to use a product that gets the red out?

Comment

Originally posted by Windmill View Post
        Can you please explain why it's not wise to use a product that gets the red out?
        #1: Redness relievers have a REBOUND EFFECT. That means they make you white now but redder later. It's on the label.

#2: They contain benzalkonium chloride, a highly toxic preservative that causes dry eye symptoms and can cause permanent damage to the cornea.

Redness relievers are the sort of thing you want to use as a convenience after a heavy night of drinking or before a wedding. It is absolutely not something you want to use on anything like a regular basis when you have chronically red eyes or any other eye condition occurring. Regular use is bad enough for people with healthy eyes, but it's even more harmful to people who have dry eye, which is why we tend to jump on posts about it in this forum
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

I'm not planning to use a vasocontrictor daily, only at times my eyes are really red and when i go out party or other special occasions where i have to look my best.

Do all vasoconstricting drops contain benzalkonium chloride? There must be some drops available with an alternative, not so toxic preservative right?

Comment

Originally posted by Windmill View Post
            Do all vasoconstricting drops contain benzalkonium chloride? There must be some drops available with an alternative, not so toxic preservative right?
            I have never seen one without it. It is in ClearEyes, Visine, Refresh (the redness reliever version), Naphcon, etc. BAK is used in practically all over-the-counter eyedrops except those that are exclusively lubricants (though a few of those still have it too).
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

I'm going to visit a well known ophthalmologist next week and i'll ask him if there are any vasoconstrictors without preservatives or a different preservative than BAK.

Comment

Working...
              X