This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bak

I just wanted to get some opinions on what people think of the preservative BAK used specifically in eye drops. I have read some threads on this forum and also looked at some studies, so I know a little about its effects but I would like to know more. For example, should I try to avoid it all together or just try to limit the use of drops that use it as a preservative as much as possible? I have blepharitis and MGD and have used medications like Patanol and Nevanac that contain BAK. I don't use these drops anymore, but I did just start using Azasite which I think contains BAK as well. Any opinions on this much discussed preservative would be greatly appreciated.

Hi - BAK caused my dry eye after overuse of contact lubrication containing it. I seem to flare up quite quickly now if BAK enters my eye (a couple of days) - however I guess you need to weigh up the benefit of the preserved drop against the negatives of BAK.

I personally would avoid it like the plague - it's just too harsh.

Hope this helps

EllMitcho
    The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I have read a lot of posts on this forum about how much people dislike this preservative. If it causes so many problems why do they continue to use it? Just seems strange to me.

Comment

Originally posted by dave25 View Post
        Thanks for the advice. I have read a lot of posts on this forum about how much people dislike this preservative. If it causes so many problems why do they continue to use it? Just seems strange to me.
        Dave,

I would only ever consider using BAK preserved drops if it was for a prescription medication and for a limited period of time.

I most certainly would not be using it on a regular basis.

There has been a lot of debate about this topic on this site and countless researches that suggest that it can be quite damaging.

I may be a cynic but it is documented that BAK can contribute to dry eyes, one has to question why manufacturers knowingly put this in drops that are specifically designed to relieve dry eye symptoms - is the co-incidental, possibly, possibly not.

Just my thoughts

Ian

Comment

Thanks for the advice Ian. It just seems so counter productive to be prescribed an eye medication that is supposed to help with dry eyes, yet it contains a preservative that research shows can cause or contribute to dry eye. I hope manufacturers start to recognize this and do something about it. Thanks again.

Comment

i'm starting to think this preservative has made what was not such a bad problem ten times worse--i've been on alrex (from supposed contact lens irritation) and my eyes are drier on them than they were before i started them, then i tried azasite for a week and couldn't tolerate it so i stopped it a couple of days ago, my eyes are so bone dry now i'm going through two vials of drops a day when before i only needed less than one (since starting the alrex, before that i did not need moisture drops)--now i have to go on restasis to fix the dry eye i really believe was caused by these other drops because my eyes did not feel dry or painful at all before i went to the dr and started these drops and now they are very dry and very painful all the time...

Comment

Working...
            X