Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preservative drops - causing red eyes??

I have severe dry eye, have 4 permanent plugs, use Restasis, but yet still have dry red eyes. I live in the city with all the environmental issues...and work at a computer all day. I just stopped using Restasis because I felt like my eyes were getting drier (it certainly wasnt helping any.)

I continue to have issues with redness...whether I wear contacts or not. I was using Genteal gel at night...but it burned so bad I knew something was wrong. Not just the gentle stinging...but a "my eyes are on fire" burning which I knew couldnt be right. My eyes would also be beet red in the mornings when I used it.

I recently stopped using shampoos with SLS...and that helped the redness after a shower. And, I've also noticed some strong cleaning products create fumes that hurt my eyes and make them red.

I just started trying Fresh Kote drops by prescription. I think my eyes are getting redder when I use them? Is it possible that my eyes are super sensitive to preservatives of any kind?

Maybe everything I'm trying to use to help my dry red eyes...are actually causing the problem to continue?? HELP...I just dont know what to do anymore. I actually just got back from a 4 day camping trip. My eyes felt the healthiest they have in years...I even had tears streaming down my face because of the plugs. I didnt use artificial tears of any kind for 4 days!!!! So...what gives? I recognize the computer work is a major culprit...so what can I do about that? I've tried to turn the brightness of the screen down...but after 3 days back at work, they got red again. Sigh.

With the GenTeal gel, make sure you store it upside down and massage the tube to mix up the contents before use. Also try storing it in the fridge. Consider a preservative-free drop like TheraTears that comes in little vials. Also don't instill different types of drops within 30 minutes of each other. Try more frequent instillation of the drops if allowed. It might be that keeping more moisture on your eye will reduce the sensitivity you experience. Lastly, share your concerns with your eye doctor.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Thanks Kitty. I'm using Systane preservative free in the little vials now. Seems to be much better. When my eyes got really red yesterday from the FreshKote...I started using only Systane (used about 6 vials in 24 hours!) and they're doing better today. Still red...but much much better than yesterday. They dont look "mad" at me...but just "stressed" (if that makes any sense at all?!)

Comment

Originally posted by jsalad View Post
        Thanks Kitty. I'm using Systane preservative free in the little vials now. Seems to be much better. When my eyes got really red yesterday from the FreshKote...I started using only Systane (used about 6 vials in 24 hours!) and they're doing better today. Still red...but much much better than yesterday. They dont look "mad" at me...but just "stressed" (if that makes any sense at all?!)
        I just thought of something else. If you are still quadruple plugged, you might consider having one in each eye removed, like the uppers. There is a theory out there that says 4 plugs trap in all of the inflammatory gunk and this can actually make your dry eyes feel worse.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Working...
        X