X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• luck with hormones ?

Hi All,
    Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with balancing their hormones and it helping their dry eyes? I'm beginning to think this is my problem, I take estrogen only and I've been doing some research and even found a paper that stated that 60% of women on estrogen only HRT have some degree of dry eye syndrome, pretty astounding right! I know that some use testosterone drops and cream would like to know how much that helped or not? Also if anyone had testing done and got their hormones regulated/balanced and did that help? Would like to hear from everyone who even tried and may have failed, before I go to my doctor and ask where to go from here.
    Thanks, Christine

Dog 2012

I strongly believe that testosterone is the key to make those glands work properly for many people but of course not for everyone. ..My personal experience just prof it again and again. I tried all of those androgen based drops..but problem is systematic ..so the only solution worked for me increase blood level of testosterone.

Comment

Hi Mawsky,
      I've got to do another saliva test in June. My eyes are a bit better after hormone supplement adjustment, but I am interested in seeing what the levels are now. They wouldn't give me testosterone. It was low, but still in normal range. Eyes are better, but still not great. I am willing to grow a beard. BTW, I really like the DHC cleansing oil. (For face, not eyes! LOL!) Think you are the one who mentioned the DHC. Thanks!

Comment

So glad you tried it and liked it, I found another cleanser Nutragena extra gentle cleanser, it's a cream like cleanser I use it for the rest of my face after taking off eye makeup with the oil, no irritation to the eyes. I think I will be asking my family doctor about testing my hormone levels, have you ever tried the testosterone drops? or cream on your lids? seems to be a better choice over taking it internally, or by patch, I don't want a beard!! I have Alopecia and have lost most of the hair on my head, having a beard would really mess with my femininity...lol
        Christine

Comment

LOL! Hi Christine! We had a friend with Alopecia, and her hair grew back. My doctor had it too. Some of his hair grew back, but he was destined to have male pattern baldness as well, so mostly it came back everywhere except the top of his head. He just looked like a normal guy with hair around the sides and none on top! No, I've not tried the drops, or cream. The compounding pharmacist said they are expensive. Actually, I am having trouble with blocked pores and oil glands in all kinds of places including my scalp. Really not sure what to do, but thinking systemic is probably the only route. Will keep you posted. If you try the eye drops, please let us know. Thanks for the Neutrogena tip too.

Comment

LaDiva,
            My hope is that one day my hair will grow back too, right now I only have these weird white hairs, that you can't color and isn't thick enough to work, but I wear a great human hair system that is making my life at least look normal. My dry eyes are from lack of tears, I don't have any MGD just the lack of tears...like that's not enough. I was tested for Sjogrens early on, and thankfully that was negative. No one seems to have an answer for me, and so I'm looking into it myself. the only offer was more Restasis, which only makes things worse, I've tried it three times, really hoping each time would be the time it would work and not just irritate my eyes more, I'm better without it, until they really get to the bottom of this problem they just don't know what to do, except try to make you more comfortable. I wear contacts and have not had anymore problems with the abrassions, but some days are worse than others, there has to be answers for this, frankly I have never seen anyone putting in eye drops like I do, so I think their just isn't enough of us screaming for answers. I will let you know what I find out.

Comment

Hello Mawsky,

I have alopecia totalis and dry eye too. I think I read on another of your posts a while back that you didn't think they were related. I totally think they are - both manifestations of some auto-immune issues - and have seen a few posts on the 'alopecia world' website about dry eye. I also believe there is some hormonal connection. When I was pregnant my eyes, which had become a problem several months prior, totally went back to normal! Shortly after pregnancy they were bad again. I have tested low for pretty much all the hormones they test (test, est, progesterone, DHEA) and have been fooling around with supplementing - not sure I've found anything that helps yet. I go through bad and then not so bad phases with my eyes and I get kind of lazy with it in the not-so-bad phases, and am kind of nervous about messing with my hormones as I sometimes consider having another baby and am almost 40 - don't want to throw anything too out of whack at this point... Anyway, sounds like we've got some things in common. Hopefully we find some answers one of these days! I do think restasis has made things better for me, but it took about 9 months! I was doing ok then quit the restasis for 2-3 months (it stings!) and I think I'm seeing the impact as my eyes are feeling worse again lately (hence my presence on this website). Would be curios to hear what kind of hair system you are using... In solidarity, EWP

Comment

Hi everyone, haven't read all your post since today was a very bad eye day and can barely keep them open. But I was using Bioidentical Testosterone to bring low levels higher (I'm male) and over 40. Had surgery for an orthopaedic problem and had to stop a big junk of my eye routine since it all got too much.
                Since stopping the testosterone, my eyes are much worse. But to be bias, it's also become VERY cold here since Winter has hit so????? and also temporarily stopped Restasis, but I've stopped that before without any difference.

Comment

Hi there EWP, I'm on Alopecia world too....yes I've seen a few posts there about dry eyes, and wondered about the connection. Who are you on AW? so I can friend you...would be weird if were already talking there I went with the Follea Gripper cool, and so happy with it, which are you using? I did consider the Freedoms, but with the cost and other things felt it was best choice for now. Wish the Restasis was not so irritating for me, the first time I used it for at least 6 months, my eyes were terrible, but didn't blame it on the drops because I wasn't sure at that time what was going on, found that I developed a allergy or something to most eye drops, I began using Similasan Allergy drops and that cleared that up pretty quick, I tried another kind of drop just to see and my eyes flared up really bad again, it even effects my skin around my eyes. Just super sensitive I guess. Hope to see you on AW.
                  Christine

Comment

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
                    Hi everyone, haven't read all your post since today was a very bad eye day and can barely keep them open. But I was using Bioidentical Testosterone to bring low levels higher (I'm male) and over 40. Had surgery for an orthopaedic problem and had to stop a big junk of my eye routine since it all got too much.
                    Since stopping the testosterone, my eyes are much worse. But to be bias, it's also become VERY cold here since Winter has hit so????? and also temporarily stopped Restasis, but I've stopped that before without any difference.
                    DCR,
                    Hi there, so sorry to hear your going through a bad spot right now. If you remember I had the DCR surgery too, you really got me thinking about the hormone issues in the first place, just need to move forward on it, and hopefully get some answers. Your winter begins right when our summers do here, my eyes seem worse in the winter too. Hope you feel better real soon.
                    Christine

Comment

Working...
                    X