Ocular Rosacea Possible Treatments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocular Rosacea Possible Treatments

If your eyes hurt while reading this, just read the bold parts!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Although the majority of included studies were assessed as being at high or unclear risk of bias, there was some evidence to support the effectiveness of:

1. topical metronidazole,
    2. azelaic acid, and
    3. doxycycline (40 mg) in the treatment of moderate to severe rosacea, and
    4. cyclosporine 0.05% ophthalmic emulsion for ocular rosacea.

Further welldesigned, adequately-powered randomised controlled trials are required.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps it is possible to get metronidazole, azelaic acid, and doxycycline in a form that is safe to go in your eyes such as an eye drop?

The symptoms of ocular rosacea are often mild but can also be severe and debilitating, and although ocular involvement occurs in up to 58% of people with rosacea, only two trials included in this review examined the treatment of ocular rosacea. Although there was insufficient evidence to support the efficacy of topical metronidazole for ocular rosacea, there was some evidence of a consistent improvement in all outcomes that cyclosporine 0.05% ophthalmic emulsion was more effective than artificial tears in the treatment of ocular rosacea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONCLUSION

Evidence of treatment effect could be demonstrated for only a limited number of the interventions studied. These were for interventions with topical metronidazole, azelaic acid, and doxycycline (40 mg) in the treatment of moderate to severe rosacea, and cyclosporine 0.05% ophthalmic emulsion for ocular rosacea.

Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea:
    There is insufficient evidence to support either the effectiveness or lack of effectiveness of interventions for the management of erythematotelangiectatic rosacea. Clearing of the "redness of the face" in patients with rosacea can have a significant impact on their quality of life but the evidence for the efficacy of light-based therapies, which are commonly used for erythematotelangiectatic rosacea, is lacking and further studies addressing the efficacy of these treatment modalities are warranted.

Papulopustular Rosacea:
    For papulopustular rosacea, topical metronidazole, azelaic acid, and anti-inflammatory dose doxycycline (40 mg) appear to be effective and safe for short-term use, with similar rates of adverse events as in the placebo groups except for doxycycline 40 mg that showed an increased risk of side effects. There is evidence that 40 mg is at least as effective as 100 mg with evidence of less adverse effects and there is some evidence that tetracycline is effective. No clear evidence is available demonstrating that any one of these treatments, or any combination of treatments, has a particular advantage in terms of higher remission rates and/or fewer adverse effects.

Phymatous Rosacea:
    No studies could be included that addressed treatment of phymatous rosacea. Well designed RCTs addressing which is the most effective treatment for phymatous rosacea are therefore still required.

Ocular Rosacea:
    For ocular rosacea cyclosporine 0.5% ophthalmic emulsion showed some evidence of benefit over artificial tears. The impact of available treatment on ocular rosacea warrants further examination as up to 58% of patients with rosacea suffers from this subtype.

Final Remarks:
    Finally, there is an urgent need for high-quality, well-designed, and rigorously-reported studies of the more widely-used treatments for rosacea like tetracycline, minocycline, azithromycin, isotretinoin, topical retinoids, and light-based therapies. Less direct interventions, such as dietary adjustments, avoidance measures for trigger factors, the use of sunscreens, and patient education are further areas of much-needed research. Outcomes collected in future trials should be primarily based on a standardised scale of the participant's assessment of the treatment efficacy and also have a greater emphasis on changes in quality of life as a result of the interventions.

Standardised and uniform scales should be developed and used for physicians' assessments, and these should reliably reflect global evaluation, lesion counts, and assessment of telangiectasia. Furthermore, to ensure improved clinical decision-making, future research should place a greater emphasis on the management and treatment of rosacea based on the staging pattern of the disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21692773
    Last edited by kitty; 05-Aug-2011, 16:35. Reason: Added Source

A list of the treatments:

1. topical metronidazole
    2. azelaic acid
    3. and doxycycline (40 mg) in the treatment of moderate to severe rosacea
    4. cyclosporine 0.05% ophthalmic emulsion for ocular rosacea

5. Clearing of the "redness of the face" in patients with rosacea can have a significant impact on their quality of life but the evidence for the efficacy of light-based therapies, which are commonly used for erythematotelangiectatic rosacea, is lacking and further studies addressing the efficacy of these treatment modalities are warranted.

6. tetracycline
    7. minocycline
    8. azithromycin (or possibly Azasite?)
    9. isotretinoin
    10. topical retinoids
    11. light-based therapies
    12. dietary adjustments
    13. avoidance measures for trigger factors
    14. the use of sunscreens
    15. patient education are further areas of much-needed research

Here's a few more I found in a different article:

16. topical benzoyl peroxide
    17. sulphacetamide/sulphur
    18. oral erythromycin
    19. Light based therapies with pulsed dye laser and intense pulsed light (IPL) are effective in treatment of erythema and telangiectasias.

If it's possible to turn these things into eye drops, maybe you've got a lot of treatments to try. Talk to your doctor or a compounding pharmacy. I'm sure someone on the board will know the answer as well and will come along shortly.

Here's some similar problems that were improved by surgery:

20. A variety of surgical techniques have been used for the repair of corneal perforation due to ocular rosacea. Gracner et al. reported successful repair by keratoplasty of an extensive corneoscleral perforation with ocular rosacea. Jain et al. described the use of amniotic membrane transplantation for spontaneous corneal perforation in ocular rosacea resulting in UCVA of 20/40, 3 months postoperatively. Conjunctival flaps have also been used to manage corneal perforations and impending corneal perforations in 2 patients with acne rosacea.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21692773
    Last edited by kitty; 05-Aug-2011, 16:34. Reason: Added Source

Comment

Wow, good work Tankie ~ any chance of refs?
      Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

I've attached a file to this reply which coveres items 1-15. I got the file from PubMed.

Items 16-20 came from a few other random PubMed articles, but I didn't download them and I forget which articles they came from.

If you're super interested in knowing exactly where I got 16-20, you'll have to search around PubMed.

I'm glad you at least found this interesting, if not helpful
        Attached Files

Comment

Altho there is some personal controversy around Dr. Geoffrey Nase, he has a really good book on rosacea (vascular, ocular and acne forms). It is basically a literature review of research related to rosacea (especially treatments for facial rosacea).

The book is called Beating Rosacea: Vascular, Ocular and Acne Forms. I bought 3 copies when it first came out (2 to give to family, friends with rosacea). To my book, I highlighted, dogeared, bookmarked, and wrote in margins... it's a mess!

You can get copies here: http://www.drnase.com/purchase_book.htm (check out the table of contents for free to see what's included)

(FYI I am not connected to Nase nor any of his shenanigans)
          Last edited by spmcc; 04-Aug-2011, 13:41.

Comment

If it helps anyone, Mermaid has all of the above, tried most of the above. She was pre-rosacea at 11yo with severe eye symptoms only, now she is 14, eyes well managed, skin a daily struggle. Best derm online help has been Rosacea Support with community and research updates. People have different rosacea triggers, get improvement when they identify what makes it better/worse. We had remission on oral (less) and topical antibiotics (fast), but not long-term improvement without addressing rosacea triggers. Retinoids are contra-indicated for MGD, see Accutane. I even saw suspicious MG weeping on topical retinoid. People report topical steroids or immunomodulators have either made it better, or caused or worsened rosacea inflammation. We are currently controlling it quite well with minimum topical antibacterials, reducing allergens and chemicals and diet triggers, experimenting with the simplest possible pH neutral washes and moisturisers, current favourite Manuka honey.

In case it's ever useful to anyone, PubMed 'child ocular rosacea' for paediatrics.
            Cutaneous and ocular signs of childhood rosacea. Chamaillard M, Mortemousque B, Boralevi F, Marques da Costa C, Aitali F, Taïeb A, Léauté-Labrèze C Bordeux. Arch Derm 2008.
            Blepharokeratoconjunctivitis in children: diagnosis and treatment. Viswalingam M, Rauz S, Morlet N, Dart JK Moorfields. Br J Ophth 2005

Main problem: getting ophth and derm to work together... (Also, unusually, daily omega 3 flaxseed oil is inflammatory on p&p and therefore on eye surface through meibom so she is 3 capsules/week only, although I feel she does need it to balance meibom - if anyone has insight on that, please tell. Must be excess sebaceous production aetiology, ie sebaceous blepharitis and acne; rosacea inflammation response seems to be secondary to both bacterial infection (yeh, maybe Demodex Bacillus Oleronius, which is prob in overgrowth) and 'allergens'. I also think there was an overgrowth of Malassezia affecting the MGs, plenty of seb derm skin signs, and that we cleared it with Nizoral and dandruff shampoo - this was the first time I saw clear meibom in 3 years - bit of an old wives' tale currently, but then I am one).

NB, as Tankie says, 'ocular rosacea' is not yet defined, your aetiology will be different.
            Last edited by littlemermaid; 05-Aug-2011, 04:18.
            Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Working...
            X