my experience with blepharitis, lasik, chalazions and treatments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my experience with blepharitis, lasik, chalazions and treatments

About me: 27 years old female with white sensitive skin. I have seborrheic dermatitis and maybe rosacea (doctors cannot decide on that one as the symptoms on my face are really mild). After Lasik, I got left with blepharitis and persistently dry eyes. I should also mention meibomian gland disorder with lots of chalazions.

So, really this is basically a nightmare. I used to have styes easily when I was a kid. But then I started wearing contacts and they disappeared. I used contact lenses for like 10 years and in the last years, my eyes started to get dry and I started to get a stye again like once a year. So I started got afraid that I wouldn’t be able to use contact lenses anymore and so I decided to get Lasik (I was +6.00 and so I also wanted to be able to see when I woke up, you know?) I warned my doctor before that my eyes were dry but he said that they were not that dry and so I had the surgery. The surgery went well and I thought that my only problem which was dry eyes would disappear over time. How wrong I was. What happened was that immediately the week after the surgery, I started to get crusts in my eyelashes. It was the first time and I didn’t know anything about blepharitis so I didn’t care. They just got worse every day. I would try to clean them in the morning for hours really but they wouldn’t go away. Then in 6 months time, I got my first stye. Only it wasn’t stye really, it was a chalazion they said. Then I got a new one the next month. And the next. I started to get one, sometimes 3 chalazions every month religiously. I always got them right before my period or during my period and I don’t know why still. Anyway, I was about to go mad. Really. One of the chalazions that I left treated turned into a cyst and the doctors say that they cannot remove that as a scar will remain. They say that it will be there for the rest of my life. Luckily it’s a small one. I’ve got a bigger one on the upper eyelid. Maybe I will have that one removed eventually. So the worst part was that I had to use cortisone and antibiotic treatments like all the time and the doctors said that I might develop cataracts or something like that if it continues like that. If I don’t use the drops, the chalazions just get bigger and develop into a cyst like the one I mentioned.
    In the country where I live, blepharitis and especially meibomian gland disorder are not so common. Only one doctor knew about doxycycline and about fish oil supplements. I’m using doxy for about 3 months now, and I don’t get any chalazion ever since I started. Also my blepharitis got much better thanks to it and the fish oil. My eyes aren’t glued anymore in the mornings. Also, I learned and used some other treatments.
    First one is basically a water made of borax and distilled water. A doctor suggested to me and it’s much much better than lidcare and all the baby shampoos. You just warm it (not hot as hot compresses made my eyelids red and I hate them), soak the cotton in put it in in your eye for about half a minute and repeat this three of four times for each eye. Then you take a cotton swab and dip it into the solution and exfoliate your eyelids with this gently. It honestly removes the crust. After that, if your blepharitis is really bad, you can mix an antibiotic pomade with a pomade with cortisone in your hand, and then you take a cotton swab again and cover it with this mixture and put it in your eyelids with the swab. After 2 weeks, all my crust was gone. I started doxy after this and I found it really effective. I'm also on biotin supplements and of course I'm using eye drops for the dry eye (Artelac Advanced). I started to use mascara again after one year of no make-up. I don't use it every day and I use it carefully and I still can't use eyeliner at all. Before all this, I used to be one of those girls who wouldn't go to the grocery store without mascara. I really learned my lesson I guess.

However, there’re some negative parts. First my eyelashes fall out like crazy, more than it did before. Maybe it’s the borax (I use it everyday and I’m not sure about that). Also my old chalazions, they just stay there- doxy doesn’t make them go away. Also, I had thrush because of the doxy and my period was about one month late (a first for me). Doctors said it can be because of doxy as I’m petite and thin and I’m taking 100 mg (we don’t have lower doses here). So eventually, I will stop the medicine and probably the nightmare will start with me having no eyelashes at all. It can be a curse.

Odile ~ So happy to have the opportunity to talk to you here, and welcome. Your aetiology is very much like my young daughter (14) and it is very encouraging to hear how you have got the blepharitis under control. She also has: recurrent chalazia, minor signs of seb derm, acne rosacea flares damaging the eyes esp premenstrual.

Interestingly, she cannot take oral meds, but her eyes are well controlled with preservative-free topical antibacterial drops in minimum use, 2/wk (increased on flareups), so this might be an alternative when you come off doxycycline. It sounds an odd way to use antibacterial drops, but seems to prevent the reinfection and inflammation spiral, along with warm compress and hygiene and flax/fish oils and improved diet.

To suppress inflammation as needed, we are using Fluorometholone eyedrops in a tapering regime rather than cortisone because it is considered to have the best safety profile, paediatric, although we have got the immunosuppressant Optimmune (cyclosporine) to reduce steroid use.

Borax is a great suggestion from the pre-eyedrop days, I've just realised some eyedrops have this ingredient too.

I am excited and interested that you are taking biotin. To me these nutritional aspects are the missing link in the chain of events for us: nutrition, dermatophytes, hormones, immunology, are the next thing a veterinarian would consider in derm/eye problems which are not obvious bacteria, virus, fungus infection! I am having real difficult getting diagnosis and advice on the obvious metabolic causes of these skin issues.

There is some wonderful helpful research coming out of Ankara for us on differential causes of blepharitis (also Tunisia) and I am very grateful that they are publishing. With very warmest greetings and thanks to you from London, and hopes for cures, healing and comfort for us all.
    Last edited by littlemermaid; 01-Mar-2012, 08:41.
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Working...
    X