Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe blepharitis, keratitis, and steroids?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe blepharitis, keratitis, and steroids?

So I have severe blepharitis (MGD/ocular rosacea) and I am on a whole litany of treatments, including Restasis, Pataday, and Azasite (to rub on lids at night). I am also on Tobradex (2x/day for for 3 weeks). I have been on it for 1 week. So far not much improvement. My question is,could I be making my eye situation worse? My doctor never mentioned anything about Keratitis to me, but according to this website http://salemretina.com/info/disease/...tis/index.php:

Blepharitis is a common chronic inflammation of the eyelids which causes irritation, itching, and burning of the lids and eyes. In severe cases, it may also cause styes, and irritation and inflammation of the conjunctiva (conjunctivitis) and cornea (keratitis). Blepharitis can be associated with other conditions including acne rosacea.

So if my cornea is inflammed, does that mean I have Keratitis? If so, I've read that you are NOT supposed to use steroids as they will make things worse. Should I stop taking the Tobradex? I know this is a question for the eye doctor, but he didn't mention it, so does that mean I am overreacting? If I did have it,is it likely that he would notice? he seemed pretty competent.
    Last edited by Charon; 10-Jul-2012, 13:36.

Dear Charon,

A friend and myself were able to kill Blepharitis. My friend's Blepharitis moved up onto her eyelids. She used a facial scrub with Benzethonium Chloride in it and it killed it off. When I heard that I looked for that facial scrub but it was not for sale any longer. I looked on line to see what other products had Benzethonium Chloride in them. I ended up using WET ONES, antibacterial hand wipes, in the red box.
    I tore each one into 8 sections. I used 2 on each eyelash area. I did this 4 times a day for a week and a half. After that, I went down to 3 times a day (eyes felt so much better) for a month. Then I went down to 2 times a day for several months. It itched once or twice after that and I jumped on it with he wipes for a day or two and then it was all gone.
    This may sound way to easy and too cheap. It did work for the 2 of us.
    I was able to use mascara and makeup while killing this off. It involves new mascara and makeup. I bought throw away wands (on internet) and cosmetic applicators (throw away) from the drugstore. Never put a used anything into the new mascara or makeup. I used a makeup remover (gentle one) and used 2 separate washrags, one for each eye. Did not want to re-infect either eye. I used white washrags so I could put into the bleach load.
    Desperate situations call for desperate measures. My friend used that facial scrub and I was desperate to get rid of it too.
    Please remember that 2 people using 2 different products both with Benzethonium Chloride in them killed Blepharitis.
    Several doctors could not find it in my eyes, including the doctor who diagnosed the Blepharitis.
    Wishing you relief soon.
    LyndaT

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, what do u mean your friends blepharitis moved up to her eyelids? Blepharitis is inflammation of the eyelids..
      Thank u so much for posting! I'm trying this as we speak

Comment

Yes. Where was your friend's blepharitis before it moved up to her eyelids, and what did it look and feel like?

Interested, but may not need to post a reply to every blepharitis sufferer because all your posts come up on 'New Posts' button up top left. Thanks though. I'm noticing benzethonium chloride would kill a wider variety of bugs inc fungi, more than the benzalkonium chloride we've been using.

Seems that Avon have reformulated to salicylic acid. Shame. We'll keep searching for a good face wash.

Charon ~ Medscape is good for more information for you on what keratitis and blepharitis mean. Whether to use steroid is a difficult conversation between you and the doc. Best available summary of conditions and treatments so far is the DEWS Report (just Google).
        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Dear Faith and Littlemermaid,
          My friend's Blepharitis was in her eyelashes and then moved up onto the eyelids (where you put eye shadow and liner). I did not see it. My daughter described it (it was her mother-in-law). My other daughter cut her hair and said it was horrible looking. That is why she used the antibacterial facial scrub with Benzethonium Chloride in it. I told my daughters that it was Blepharitis. I did the research and saw the pictures of the different forms it can take.
          Mine was only in the eyelashes.
          I think that the acid is just aspirin that is in the Avon now. It kills warts too.
          This was an accidental find and I am so appreciative that she used that product on here eyelids or else I would still be suffering.
          I no longer do research on Blepharitis as mine is gone.
          One young man can't believe how this works for him. He kept me going.
          Hope this info helps.
          LyndaT

Comment

Thanks again, Lynda. It's a shame Avon stopped making that Clearskin formulation. I've noticed there's benzethonium chloride in some handwashes too. It's always this problem of not hurting the eyes while fixing the skin and eyelids, isn't it.

Did you have any flaky skin around and between your eyebrows?

Just in case people haven't seen it, here's another blepharitis success it might cheer you up to read about http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ers-eyelid-gel. Stella was very kind to post up and tell us about hers too.

There're also great stories of success for people who've found their nutrition deficiencies.

Gives us all hope
            Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Lynda, and other members here have messaged you with good results?! I found a wipe from shoppers drug mart near the wet ones with a higher concentration of benzethonium chloride.. I'm trying these too!

Comment

Dear Faith,

I would have used it too if I had found it.

It may helps others to know this and perhaps get rid of it faster. Who knows you may be able to post that info soon.

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

LyndaT

Comment

Lynda, so you no longer have red eyelids? And the pain is gone?! I don't even remember what it's like to go a week without them flaring and red. I pray this works out

Comment

Dear Faith,

It actually helped so much in that first week and a half that I went down to 3 times a day as felt so much better.
                    I have no problems except the dry eyes. I use lubrication at least 6 times a day. I carry it in my purse in case I am gone too long and need it.
                    I use a hot rag on my eyes in the morning (Dr. said to get things going) and I take flax and when I remember fish oil capsules. I take Soy (70 Isoflavones) as older and need estrogen.

I haven't had a problem in over a year now. I went last August and it had been about 6 months when I saw the third doctor.
                    This was something my friend used out of desperation. Her eyelids looked so horrible and the facial scrub was antibacterial. She told me she said "Why not try it." She did and can't thank her enough. There are probably other products out there with Benxethonium Chloride in them but I used what I found that was in my home already.
                    It worked.
                    Other people are getting back to me and saying how much better they are feeling just after a few days. I know not too many will give it a try but I feel obligated to put the information out there for the few that will.
                    Looking forward to hearing how you are doing in the future. Please remember that you will feel better but it takes a long time to kill it. I found for me it was 3-4 months. I would not stop doing it until it was gone as I was afraid it could become resistant (may not) if I did the stop just when it felt better.
                    I can only say this worked for the 2 of us for sure. I will have to hear back from others as when they kill it too. It is so easy after we are well to forget and just move on with our lives.
                    Wishing you well.
                    LyndaT

Comment

Lynda, thank you so much for the wonderful reply. I am doing this 4 times a day and have not had any adverse reactions (thank god) if this works I will be forever grateful. My skin is fine, but my lids are a different story. I've had this now for three years and have only gotten it into remission a few times and did not last, it always came back! I also do the heat expression in the morning and take plenty of oils.

I am so happy to hear you have your life back using artificial tears six times a day isn't bad, I still use them much more than that due to the painful lids. I tried the raw honey on my lids but my eyes got really red from it so I decided the honey treatment isn't for me.

Comment

Dear Faith,

I feel bad as I can now hardly remember the pain, etc. After a year you don't. It seems a lot like childbirth. The memory wanes. I keep telling the story of how to kill it.

Please use 2 separate washrags to wash eyes. This stuff does travel. I infected my other eye by rinsing both eyes with same eyewash container. I just thought it was an itch at first. Proof on that one. When reading on-line I see how it seems to infect other areas of the eyes too, like the glands. It is important to me to get this info out as this product could disappear or be reformulated using another product like the Avon Facial did. People need to jump on it to do it the cheap easy way as may take 5-10-15 years to get a medicine for this. I may write to the Dr. who did the ulcer cure soon. Going to one more Dr. and ask him he wants the credit for the cure before I do that. It needs to be done through the proper channels to be accepted. I cringe when I read all these posts and people suffering.
                        I appreciate that you are going to give it a try and I hope it does work for you.
                        LyndaT

Comment

Hi Lynda
                          I have suffered from severe blepharitis for 6 years, and was told that it was because of ocular rosacea. During this period of time I saw three different optometrists and two ophthalmologists who tried Azasite (moderate relief, too costly to continue, returned quickly after cessation), oral doxy (no help whatsoever), ristasis (mild relief), and erythromycin ointment (made it worse). Because my dx was rosacea, I researched triggers and avoided them for months. No caffeine, hot beverages, iced beverages, alcoholic beverages, or spicy foods. (No difference) Through this whole time, I religiously completed lid hygiene with baby shampoo and OTC lid wipes (Systane) and used OTC preservative free moisture drops. My career is in healthcare leadership, and I have to face people daily and look professional and well groomed. You wouldn't imagine the emotional distress these red, sick-looking eyes and lids caused me. It has been unimaginable torture.
                          I have now sustained my longest and truest period of relief. Lasting five days now. Amazing. All because I, for the hundredth time, began searching the internet for something, anything! This time I left out ocular rosacea from my keywords and just concentrated on blephariris. I found one post that was intriguing, and another, and another...WET ONES ON MY EYELIDS? I was desperate. I tried it. 14 days ago. My lids are down to 10% of the swelling they had been for years, and the whites of my eyes are, well, WHITE.
                          IT HAS BEEN WORKING! I can't tell you how thankful I am that you spread this word far and wide across the internet, otherwise I would have never tried it. And the other gal that it worked for, too.
                          This is a terrible disease with what seemed to be no cure. I have spent thousands of dollars on different make up products, medications, doctor visits, hair colors that I hoped would attract others' eyes away from mine, and glasses to hide behind. This is a 20$ cure.
                          Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!

Comment

What "other gal" did it work for? Just curious!! I tried a stronger type of anti bacterial wipe, but think it was to strong for me
                            Are your eyes comfortable?!

Comment

Working...
                            X