This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selsun Blue

Am I going crazy or do my eyes feel better when I use dandruff shampoo? I keep a bottle on the occasion that my scalp gets itchy. I have thick hair and when it doesn't get completely dry after a shower and stays damp underneath all day, I have this problem.

Anyway, I use the stuff pretty randomly, but SWEAR my eyes feel better on the days I do. I know the theory of the mites on the lids and lashes, but never really knew of anyone who felt a real difference treating for them.

So what's the verdict on this? Coincidence??

D
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Hi dianat

It could be the dandruff shampoo is helping but I would first consider that your usual shampoo may be the culprit.

I have been surprised several times to learn that a product I had been using on my hair or skin was actually what was causing my most severe symptoms of dry eye.

I only discovered the connection one day when I ran out of my favorite moisturizer. It was the best dry eye day I had experienced in years. Of course, I had to try the product again in case it was a fluke.

That was a mistake.

Scout

Comment

Hi Diana There's always this idea that Johnson's Baby Shampoo is beneficial for lid cleaning, right?

I had a full allergy workup last week to see if anything else (besides the two flaps in my cornea) might be contributing to dry eye. Went to see Clifford Bassett in NYC, who patch and needle tests for more than 30 common environmental and food allergies and THEN patch tests for as many household products as you bring him. It's not fun having all this junk taped to your back for two full days.

We tested NINE DIFFERENT eyedrops, from Azasite to Dwelle and stuff with BAK - it turned out I'm the LEAST allergic human being in New York City, with only two detectable allergies: Cats, and my Pantene Pro shampoo. So I tossed the shampoo, which I've been using for years. I was surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLIC View Post
        . . . only two detectable allergies: Cats, and my Pantene Pro shampoo.
        RobLIC,

Thank you for posting this. I had figured that my eyes were slightly worse lately because I have a cold and have been taking decongestants. But I recently changed my shampoo brand . . . . to Pantene Pro!

Thanks to you, I will now pay closer attention to the new shampoo as the possible culprit.

Scout

Comment

This is really interesting i never thought shampoo could irritate,hmmm so is it a case of trying different ones or is there something you need to look for in shampoo.
          ive been using the same one for quite some time now will have to change it and see.

useful info thank you

Comment

Originally posted by RobLIC View Post
            ....only two detectable allergies: Cats, and my Pantene Pro shampoo.
            Rob, any chance of picking the allergist's brain as to which ingredient is most likely to be the culprit?
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Yes. He said to wait three weeks and see if this had any effect on my dry eye. If it does, I'm to bring him back the shampoo for further breaking down.

I've long been guilty of experimenting with too many different things at once, for which doctors constantly reprimand me. Dr. L started me on doxycycline drops the same time I tossed the shampoo. Frankly, I'm more optimistic about them.

Can ANYONE tell me why oral doxy is a mainstay of recalcitrant mgd treatment when an eyedrop is available that won't upset your GI tract? Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by fed up kate View Post
                This is really interesting i never thought shampoo could irritate,hmmm so is it a case of trying different ones or is there something you need to look for in shampoo.
                I use a very non-scientific method of removing a product or adding a product and monitoring symptoms for a few days to a week. Sometimes the results are immediate (as with Clinque Happy Body Lotion and several hairprays) and other times it is much more subtle and hard to tell.

The obvious flaw in this method is it is easy to make incorrect analyses. I assumed the increase in dry eye symptoms was the cold medicine. But now I know it was also the Pantene. I stopped the Pantene and used an older brand that I knew didn't cause problems and now I am back to normal. I haven't used the cold medicine for 4 days.

The best way is the contact allergen patch testing that RobLIC described. However, many allergists don't preform that type of testing so you may have to travel to find someone who does.

I have a friend who does her own patch testing when she changes products. She puts a bit of the shampoo or lotion or soap on her arm and then covers it with a bandage and waits 48 hrs to see if she has a reaction. If your skin reacts, your eyes will react.

I have never done this and don't really recommend it here. I am certainly not a doctor.

If you do the non-scientific method of add and remove and watch like I do, be sure to change your pillow case on your bedding every single time you change especially a hair care product. Everything on your hair gets all over your pillow, then your face and eyes get exposed.

Scout

RobLIC,

Thanks again for the heads up.

Scout

Comment

Some years ago I posted here a report from "Moose," an internet friend, about his success with using Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo (chemical name: Ketoconazole).
                  Moose had post-Lasik dry eyes; also his dermatologist diagnosed facial rosacea and blepharitis, and thus recommended Nizoral.
                  My friend noticed a significant difference in his hair, face, AND eyes when using Nizoral as opposed to not.
                  The doctor also suggested washing his face with the suds (but obviously not getting it INTO his eyes).

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=481

So, in answer to dianat's original question: I wouldn't be at all surprised if a change of hair product were making a difference to your eyes.

And I do appreciate Scout's reminder to us all: if you're changing hair, face, and/or eye products, you should almost surely be changing your pillows and other bedding as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X