This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Met with Dr. Latkany

Finally went to my appointment, in New York. It was fully worth the trip. I understand why everyone seems to like him so much, he gets really invested in your case and really makes you feel like the both of you are partners who need to cooperate to get over your eye predicament.

He said he was pretty certain my pain was caused by allergies of some sort. The eyelids are sore and swollen on the inside, and when I close my eyes they don't close fully.

He said my glands were fine and secreted quality oil, and without issue. He said I had a little bit of rosacea on the nose, but it was too insignificant to have such an impact on my eyes.

I do take some medication because I had a prolactinoma in the past, treated successfully in 2003-2005. I still take it to avoid risks of another prolactin surge as recommended by my endocrinologist. He said he wasn't sure it had anything to do with my eye problem, and I don't think it does either, but he wants to leave no stone unturned. In case of such eventuality I could talk to my endo about it, and we could try to switch drugs, lower the dosage, or go without any of it for a while, since it seems the prolactinoma has been well-shrinked and there's no danger of it growing again.

For the treatment, he advised I ceased lubricating drops as in my case, adding chemicals into the mix wouldn't help and could even complicate things. He told me to use ice gel packs 4 times a day, 30 seconds each time. I was given a few samples of Pataday to see if it worked on me. So far it doesn't burn or sting, even though it has the dreadful BAK in it. Should it burn, and I'll just order some preservative-free Zaditor from some Aussie online store I found.

I'm to go to the allergist and have a thorough test made, along with a test for something involving my arm for which I've forgotten the name. I'm also to ask my endo to prescribe a blood testing of some hormones, the names of which he wrote on a prescription.

He wants me to cover my eyes at night. I ordered Tranquileyes a while back and a sleeping mask, and to be honest it seemed to mostly sting after I was done resting with them on, but I guess I'll give it another shot.

Finally he said he wants me to try and notice if something seemed to be a trigger for lid pain, and take notes of it. I haven't really found any specific trigger so far ever since this eye saga began, except for the outside air. Things were relatively stable from November to March, and then in April things started getting a lot, lot harder to bear, growing increasingly worse each day. Because of this I think that allergies are really the likely culprit. A urban environment with little to no vegetation or fields in the surroundings does seem sorta easier for me to deal with. I have a cat who sleeps in my bed and I hope I'm not allergic to him, but if it would turn out to be the case, I guess I'd have no choice but to find another home for the little guy, much to my sadness.

Once he has all the test results he'll guide me on what I should do next.

Anyway I advise any other chronic dry eye sufferer who is still puzzled by his case to go and consult him.

Thanks so much for posting this! Glad to hear your visit was productive and went so well!

Comment

Roderick, did you get your allergy and hormone tests done? Any follow-up with Dr. Latkany?

Comment

Working...
      X