This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry skin

During the winter months I get dry skin under my eyebrows and on the skin right above my eyelids. I have tried to use lotion there, but I fear that it seeps into my eyes and causes more irritation. I have also tried baby shampoo and I might try that again.

Does this happen to anyone else? If so what do you do to fix it?

Dry skin

Dry skin my brother is the cause of dry eye

heres some tips

GO buy some seabuckthorn oil Lotion from Sibu
    you can get it at the health food store or online...its safe to put around the eyelids, from my knowledge it helps me a lot, though you must not get it into your eyes, which is a difficult situation.

The most effective lotion would be one that is not preserved,...but then again finding something like that is impossible...they have to put alchohol in the lotions to keep them free of infectious agents and sterile. which is harmful to the tissues of the eye. this is why you experience the irritation you so speak of.

to add moisture to the skin, just after a shower or washing, when your eyelids are dripping wet, get the lotion I described and apply it to your eyelids, it will lock in the moisture to the skin helping it.

Plus DONT use johnsons baby shampoo to wash your eyelids,
    its has sodium lauryl sulfate in it which rips away the protective oils that lock moisture in the skin cells

use a more moisturizing mild soap, see if your dermatologist has one that you can use near the eyes, that is not preserved with harmful agents, or check out the health food store and see if there are more natural soaps that you can use near your eyes, HOWEVER BEWARE, of soaps with oils, mint oil, sented ones...those oils can be damaging to the tissues of the eye

Im still wondering myself where to find a good soap that wont rip out the oils that keep my eyelids moist...ill ask my dermatologist too, for now I have been using thera tears eyelid foam.

there really needs to be more products for the skin of the eyelids, but I havent seen too many.

Tell me what you find

Comment

I don't put any of this stuff on my eyelids, but it is actually the skin right below my eyebrows and above my eyelids. So when I use a moisturizer i don't get anything near my eyes or even my eyelids, I am just worried it will migrate down and irritate my eyes.

Also, I have used baby shampoo in the past and I agree to not get it near the eyes, but to reduce flaky skin I actually found it pretty effective.

Comment

Any lotion you put on your skin will migrate. If not by just moving into your eyes, then if it is on at night, it will get on the pillowcase and from there to your eyes.

I've been using Refresh Ointment (meant to be put in the eyes, but I no longer put it in the eyes) I pat it around on the dry area, if there is excess I just blot it. I figure if this migrates, at least it has nothing in it that I am allergic to.

Comment

Originally posted by magoo View Post
          Any lotion you put on your skin will migrate. If not by just moving into your eyes, then if it is on at night, it will get on the pillowcase and from there to your eyes.

I've been using Refresh Ointment (meant to be put in the eyes, but I no longer put it in the eyes) I pat it around on the dry area, if there is excess I just blot it. I figure if this migrates, at least it has nothing in it that I am allergic to.
          Thats a great idea, I will try that.

Comment

Dave,
            I have had the same problem for about 15 years. It came up sudden and, believe it or not, it wasn't until tonight after investigating it further that I came to the conclusion I may have Rosacea. Never really gave it any thought, just used my med and all was well. Ignorance is bliss, eh?

Anyway, I can't recommend what I'm using since I am not a doctor and I don't know how it may effect anyone with severe dry eye. But I will tell you that I use a prescription called HCT Sulfacetamide Eucerin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfacetamide

After a shower I apply it to my entire face and especially in the area you have trouble with as well as between my eyebrows. If I don't use it right after my shower I can feel my skin getting tight/dry.

There ya go - right or wrong - I do have the same thing and this is my fix.

Kyle

Comment

Hi Dave25,

Are you sure it is a simple case of dry skin? Irritation, flaking, red patches on the skin around the eyes can be a form of dermatitis (allergic, eczema, psoriasis, seborrhea, etc.) and can be triggered by allergens, irritants and even seasonal changes.

Check out this epic thread: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=7170

You may want to see a dermatologist for an accurate diagnosis.

As with the diagnosis of dry eye, dry skin can be more complicated than just skin being dry. It could be inflammation(dermatitis) and need a specific treatment.

Scout

Comment

Thanks for the information everyone. I have a few new things to try and I may even ask my dermatologist if these other remedies don't help, just to be safe.

Comment

Hi Mike,

I suggest you try the oil cleansing method to treat your dry, flaky skin (http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/). It works wonders for me. I use a combination of 25% castor oil and 75% biological olive oil for my dry skin.

I also have used castor oils on my eyelids for about three years now and have gone from lashes falling out all the time, to having extremely long and healthy eyelashes. Also castor oil works much better for me than using any eyedrop on the market. Eyedrops just distrub the natural balance in my tearfilm, wheras the castor oils adds some of the oil thats lacking due to MGD.

I treat my dry skin using the oil cleansing method about once every four days.
                  Natural oils also don't contain any possibly irritating chemicals, like commercial cremes do.

Treating blepharitis is a whole body approach, not just the eyelids.

Hope this helps.
                  Bart

Comment

Bart, this sounds wonderful. The description of the routine makes me want to start this right away. Not only sounds great for the skin but the eyes, too.

Thank you for this information

Comment

Working...
                    X