This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate to look normal: Pataday helps with Itching but not Redness

I'm pretty depressed right now. My eyes are bloodshot and the skin bright red in the corners (and I'm itchy, a bit light sensitive, and stingy at times). Alrex helped but I tapered off of it because I don't like being on a steroid. I'm on Pataday. This is my first time ever dealing with allergies, so I don't know the culprit yet (I'm getting testing done Dec. 13). My skin on my face, around my nose/eyes is also very itchy at times, but it seems my eyes are mostly affected (albeit a little more sneezing/congestion).

It's been like this a few weeks and I'm embarrased to go out in public because both eyes are so bloodshot. PF tears that have been chilled help but only shortly.

My doctor feels safe putting me on 1 drop of Alrex a day for a few months to keep ahead of the inflammation, but says because the redness is only superficial and is not damaging, just bothersome, it's my choice. I decided not to because I'm scared of steriods (even though the Alrex DOES work!).

Does anybody have any advice? I've done:

allergen pillows/bedding/cleaning
    natural allergy supplement
    Omegas
    cold compresses/PF tears
    goggles all the time in my house
    panthothenic acid 500 mg
    chamomile tea compresses
    Similasan allergy relief drops (does nothing)
    local honey 1 teaspoon a day (injested)
    Sinus Irrigation 2x a day

ahhh! I'm so frustrated and depressed. I would cry all the time but it only makes my eyes redder so I try not to. How long do allergy attacks last?

Originally posted by Nanerpus View Post
    I'm pretty depressed right now. My eyes are bloodshot and the skin bright red in the corners (and I'm itchy, a bit light sensitive, and stingy at times). Alrex helped but I tapered off of it because I don't like being on a steroid. I'm on Pataday. This is my first time ever dealing with allergies, so I don't know the culprit yet (I'm getting testing done Dec. 13). My skin on my face, around my nose/eyes is also very itchy at times, but it seems my eyes are mostly affected (albeit a little more sneezing/congestion).

It's been like this a few weeks and I'm embarrased to go out in public because both eyes are so bloodshot. PF tears that have been chilled help but only shortly.

My doctor feels safe putting me on 1 drop of Alrex a day for a few months to keep ahead of the inflammation, but says because the redness is only superficial and is not damaging, just bothersome, it's my choice. I decided not to because I'm scared of steriods (even though the Alrex DOES work!).

Does anybody have any advice? I've done:

allergen pillows/bedding/cleaning
    natural allergy supplement
    Omegas
    cold compresses/PF tears
    goggles all the time in my house
    panthothenic acid 500 mg
    chamomile tea compresses
    Similasan allergy relief drops (does nothing)
    local honey 1 teaspoon a day (injested)
    Sinus Irrigation 2x a day

ahhh! I'm so frustrated and depressed. I would cry all the time but it only makes my eyes redder so I try not to. How long do allergy attacks last?

Are your eyes watery or dry? Have you tried cutting out the pantothenic acid? This could make dryness worse.

Comment

They are dry, when it's really really itchy and stingy they water just a bit, but it's rare. I have allergy testing tomorrow.

I cut out the panthothenic acid as you suggested, thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X