This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scented candles tolerated by DES sufferers

I know in the grand scheme of DES this will seem extremely petty, but I'm a big fan of scented candles. They really help when I'm studying or working from home and I miss them terribly! Also there's only so much wet dog smell I can handle after the Mutt has been out in the rain

At the moment I can tolerate Yankee candles (the light, floral scents or the fruity ones) burning for no more that 1-2 hours max before my eyes start reacting. With other cheaper/ more perfumed candles my eyes react straight away. If my eyes aren't at their best then they react immediately to the Yankee candles too.

Has anyone here ever found scented candles that have little or no effect on their eyes? Or a quicker way to a less smelly dog
    The eye altering, alters all - William Blake

I think about this too... used to LOVE lighting scented candles... plus, we have a wood-burning fireplace in our living room- used to LOVE the crackling fire in the winter. I haven't found a way to enjoy these things with my eyes as they are though... hopefully someone here has a solution!!

Comment

What I USED to love are the room scents with the wooden diffuser sticks. Now I'm afraid to use them just in case they might cause a reaction. There seem to be a lot of those "don't do it just in case" things. sigh.....

Comment

SAAG...what I love is the smell of turf smoke! It has such a cosy, happy smell to it. Unfortunately it's also quite smokey. The crackle from a wood fire always reminds me of early winter and that little bit of excitement in the air.

Magoo...I have such a weakness for those reed/ wooden diffusers! They have a really subtle yet affective fragrance. I'm afraid I've long given up on them; although more out of paranoia than actual catagorised eye irritation.

I suppose it's one of those things I'm determined DES won't take away from me. It's not hugely important, but sometimes it's the little things that affect life the most.

A few people have suggested Neom candles/ fragrances but they seem very expensive!

Comment

I gave up burning candles some time ago, for breathing more than eye problems (asthma) I found in this case it was the actual burning wick and not as much the fragrance, I have several flameless candles and they do really look real, have you tried the Yankee wax warmer? You get the fragrance without the flame, have scent really bothered your eyes? Just a thought, could be the soot and smoke and not smell that may irritate the eyes.

Comment

Thanks Mawsky!

While the soot etc might be contributing, I think it may be the fragrance in the wax. I have a problem with a lot of air fresheners and fragrances in general. Neutradol is the worst! One of my favourite clothes shops has started using Neutradol in the dressing rooms and I can no longer try on clothes there. It would seem the more 'natural' the oils/ fragrances the less I react to them.

I've been eyeing those flameless candles too

Comment

I found flameless candles that have a very mild vanilla scent. These seem not to bother my eyes, but they also don't give off much scent, but at least its something

Comment

Working...
              X