This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eye Questions

I moved into an apartment with a friend about 9 months ago. Since then I have had a lot of problems with my eyes. I am not sure if the 2 are related. I will try to recall everything that happened. The first time I went to the eye doctor he said I had inflamed corneas. He prescribed something, and it seemed to get the job done. Soon after my eyes started bothering me again, this time he said I had a staph(guessing on the spelling) infection. Again he prescribed something and it seemed to work. Soon after I went back because my eyes were bothering me again and he said it was just allergies this time and that I should just use artificial eye drops 4 times a day until my eyes get better. After visiting this doctor numerous times with no progress i decided to try a new doctor. My new doctor said I have chronic blepharitis and dry eye syndrome. The first visit he suggested that I just thoroughly clean my eyes 2 times a day and use artificial tears when needed. The second visit after that did not work he had me start using restasis. I have now been using restasis for about 8 weeks. It is hard to say if there has been any improvement. At times my eyes are okay but for the most part they are always dry and irritated. Every second that I am in my car I feel like the airconditioner is blowing straight into my eye at full speed, even if i have it turned all the way down pointing in the opposite direction of me. Whenever I am home and the air turns on I feel the same even thought the vents are all aimed away from me. Artificial tears don't help at all anymore, if anything they make my eyes more irritated. Everytime I wake up in the morning my eyes burn and I can barely open them because they are so dry. My roommate smokes in the apartment a lot, not cigarettes. I have never smoked, but i am around it all the time now. Is it possible that that is what is causing this? Is there something else I might be allergic to? Any Ideas, suggestions, or questions about anything are more then welcome. Thanks for the help.

Some DES sufferers don't have a cause -- at least not one we're aware of. It's very frustrating but at some point, you have to accept it and while you keep looking, focus on comfort / livability over finding a cause.

That said, there may be things causing your DES.

Smoking? Not good. And I'm not just saying this because cancer sticks cause cancer, regardless of whether they are cigarettes, cloves, pot or what-have-you. I'd start there, particularly since the problems started when you moved in together.

Next, are you using preservative-free drops (individual ampules, and yes, it sucks that they are more expensive)? If not, get some and start using those. THe preservatives in a lot of drops can cause DES. It's weird and counter-intuitive but it's true.

Restasis can take up to 6 months to work. Of course, if your DES is because of your chimney roommate or the preservatives in your eye drops, it won't matter. Also, Restasis doesn't work for everyone (yea, I know, that sucks too).

Turn off your a/c while you're driving, at least until you figure some of this out.

Good luck. Hopefully you're stay here will be short and you can figure out what's wrong. If not, this is a great board, full of support and information.

Comment

Air is my enemy too. I can't tolerate a/c or forced air heat (even not aimed at me). I now wear moisture chamber goggles (Wiley Xs) *all* the time. They help the most against the 'dreaded' air. I would strongly recommend getting a pair and wearing them as much as possible.

Good luck.

Comment

Dry/cold/hot air blowing all are totally intolerable to me now. I wear 7 eyes glasses all the time now, except when I'm asleep. It was expensive, but worth it: needed computer bifocals, distance/near bifocals, and sunglasses, all rx. The 7 eye glasses help me a huge mat - I can't tolerate regular glasses or no glasses for more than a minute or so. I definitely agree with spec, I'd get goggles or 7 eye glasses, or something along those lines. Hope you find something which works for you -

Comment

The only drops I have used for the past 2 months is restasis, and yes they are preservative free

Comment

I thought you were using artificial tears as well? Did you stop using those when you started using the Restasis?

Comment

Yes I stopped using them when I started restasis. The new doctor said I could use them if I wanted but they are unnecessary and wont help at all in the long run

Comment

Originally posted by erbacheck View Post
                I moved into an apartment with a friend about 9 months ago. Since then I have had a lot of problems with my eyes.
                Well I'd sure be looking for a connection, that is, if you had no symptoms of any kind before that. Coincidences do happen but! It's not necessarily that something new in the apartment CAUSED this, more like TRIGGERED IT especially if there's any pre-existing issues like some blepharitis that you just didn't have symptoms from

Smoke? Definitely.

Mold? I'd find out.

Air quality? Check. I had a call from someone not long ago who's had terrible eye problems ever since installing a new heating system in his home.

Any other changes? Sometimes a small thing can trigger a cascade of eye problems. Allergy to a pillow, a laundry detergent, any other products.

I am really glad to hear you're not taking a whole bunch of stuff for your eyes right now. Minimal is good. A lot of people get themselves in more trouble by putting everything and the kitchen sink in their eyes in desperation to make them better.

Every second that I am in my car I feel like the airconditioner is blowing straight into my eye at full speed, even if i have it turned all the way down pointing in the opposite direction of me.
                Classic types of symptoms.

My roommate smokes in the apartment a lot, not cigarettes.
                Well there you go. Assuming moving again is not an option right now... I think you're really going to have to get yourself some protective glasses/goggles (like what mgshutterbug is talking about - though there's much cheaper ones, $10-20) at LEAST until things are in much better shape.

The doc who put you on Restasis, did s/he tell you your tear break-up time by chance?
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

What do I do to check for mold and to check the air quality? I don't think I have made any other changes. What kind of glasses would you recommend? I don't recall him mentioning a tear break-up time. On June 1 I'll be going on vacation/work for 6 weeks or so so maybe my eyes will get better during that time and then I will know it is something in the apartment.

Comment

Working...
                  X