This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspected yeast allergy

I noticed when I drink just one beer, my eyes feel much worse in less than 30 minutes.

Hmmmmm? What is in beer? Barley, hops, and yeast...

"Could it be I have a yeast allergy?" I thought. I don't feel that way when I eat barley products so maybe. So I consumed nothing that contained yeast or yeast-derived products for 6 months. (I also eliminated many many other allergens including gluten, dairy for 2 of those months) The elimination diet was a bust.

But I thought "what if my gut has yeast living it in producing things that I absorb and THAT makes my eyes feel like I did when I drank a beer." Actually, it is very plausible for intestines to contain live yeast and there is a recognized medical condition called intestinal candidiasis in which yeast overgrowth causes a myriad of symptoms (though dry eye is not one of the known symptoms). Maybe that is contributing or even the root cause of my dry eye?

So, I have started taking nystatin and garlic for their anti-yeast/anti-fungal activity. The first 3 days my eyes actually got significantly worse. I expected that though and it fits with the working theory; it may have been from yeast releasing their allergens/toxins as they perished. Now today, the 4th day, things are looking up again.

I'm not getting too excited about this yet as my eyes take swings up and down without rhyme or reason all the time. I'm planning on continuing this for at least a few months unless I start having problems tolerating it.

That is very interesting. Do you take probiotics as well? Do you have a doctor that supports your theory in order for you to get a nystatin prescription?

Keep writing about your experiences - I would love to know if it works- I hope it does!

Comment

Yes I'm taking probiotics as well. My doc was most interested in whether I had tried XYZ dry eye treatments first and whether I had tried avoiding yeast-containing foods, then decided it was reasonable to try. I forgot to mention that I'm still avoiding yeast-containing foods of course.

I'm feeling great today, hopefully it continues.

Comment

A 3 month update; I'm feeling great! I've been going weeks at a time with no bad days. My closest friends are commenting how I'm not squinting all the time anymore too!

I ran out of nystatin months ago, and I gave up on avoiding yeast in my diet about two months ago as it didn't seem to matter all that much after all. However, I'm still taking capryllic acid (for yeast control), N-acetyl cysteine and L-glutamine (for intestinal health after candidiasis) (EDIT: and probiotics). The only other thing new that might be giving me good eye health is I'm taking zinc and magnesium. Here's to hoping I'm starting a thread in the triumph section in about 9 months!

Comment

Working...
        X