• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vestn Oftalmol. 2000 Sep-Oct;116(5):10-4. Related Articles, Links

[New aspects in drug therapy of ocular allergies]

[Article in Russian]

Maichuk IuF.

Ophthalmic allergoses belong to highly prevalent ocular diseases. According to the records of the first center of allergic diseases of the eye set up in 1971 at Helmholtz Institute of Ocular Diseases in Moscow, the most prevalent clinical forms are seasonal pollenosis conjunctivitis, drug allergies, spring keratoconjunctivitis, large-papillary conjunctivitis, chronic allergic conjunctivitis, allergy associated with the "dry eye" syndrome, atopic keratoconjunctivitis, and ocular involvement in systemic immune diseases. Therapy of ocular allergies is based on the three main principles: removal of the allergen responsible for disease, immunotherapy, and symptomatic drug therapy. The main agents used in local antiallergic therapy are antihistaminic drugs (antasoline and acelastin), drugs inhibiting mast cell degranulation (chromoglycates and lodoxamide), and accessory drugs: corticosteroids (dexamethasone and deosonide), nonsteroid antiinflammatory agents (diclofenak), immunosuppressants (cyclosporin), and vasoconstrictors (tetrisoline). Antiallergic drugs can be used as monotherapy or in combinations, as they differ by the mechanism of action. Antiallergic drugs are used with good results in combined therapy of infectious conjunctivitis and keratitis.

Comment

Mast Stabilizer

Scout,
      You mentioned improvement over the longterm. It is always good to hear stories of improvement. I think a problem, at least for myself, is that I am looking for the magic pill. The one that I take on Monday and feel better forever starting Tuesday. Its not that extreme, but I find that I will always try the "new" possible breakthrough in an effort to cure my dry eye now. I think your story shows 1) a realization that dry eye is cronic 2) there is no magic one day pill and 3) you have to give the eye time to adjust to treatment options. Shows importance of tracking ones own progress in journal/memory so one can reflect and pinpoint what may be working.

It seems that you mention Redkote/Nutratear and then Zaditor. Are you saying that Zaditor is the one responsible for mast stabilization? Have you completely stopped the use of Redkote/Nutratear, or are you still using them to curb occasional dryness?

Mr_C

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Cabot
        Scout,
        You mentioned improvement over the longterm. It is always good to hear stories of improvement. I think a problem, at least for myself, is that I am looking for the magic pill. The one that I take on Monday and feel better forever starting Tuesday. Its not that extreme, but I find that I will always try the "new" possible breakthrough in an effort to cure my dry eye now. I think your story shows 1) a realization that dry eye is cronic 2) there is no magic one day pill and 3) you have to give the eye time to adjust to treatment options. Shows importance of tracking ones own progress in journal/memory so one can reflect and pinpoint what may be working.

It seems that you mention Redkote/Nutratear and then Zaditor. Are you saying that Zaditor is the one responsible for mast stabilization? Have you completely stopped the use of Redkote/Nutratear, or are you still using them to curb occasional dryness?

Mr_C
        Oh yes. I still use Redkote/Nutratear daily. But now instead of hourly, it is more like once in the morning, once during the day sometime, once before bed and once in the middle of the night. I really don't think I will be able to stop altogether. But this is the best I have been in many years.

Yes. Zaditor is the one responsible for mast cell stabilzation.

One added note:

I came across this website while searching for a link to ocular allergy medication information. It is a continuing education course on ocular allergies from Indiana University School of Optometry, complete with data from studies on the efficacy of some of the medications. There are many medications (not just Zaditor) that are helpful. And if any of you want more information about ocular allergies . . . read the whole course.

Treatment/Medications for Ocular Allergies

This is how the article begins:

Poor tear film sets the stage for allergy expression.

Comment

Working...
        X