This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tissues - wood fibers?

An eye doc told me never to use tissues around my eyes because they shed little particles of wood fiber that get into eyes, resulting in irritation? Has anyone else heard of this?

My eyes water a lot... it's hard to resist using tissues at times. (Guess I need to carry cotton pads.)

No . my Dr uses tissues to wipe excess drops around my eyes. i buy expensive tissues just to minimise friction on my skin. i also carry them around and hardly ever use any other tissues. if i need to get eyelash out i use a cotton bud.
    http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

Years ago I had a good friend who worked selling cosmetics. She went to a big workshop where she was told, among other things, not to remove makeup with kleenex because the wood fibre was bad for your skin and pores. This was in 1971. I've never thought much about it, and do remove makeup with toilet paper and kleenex, so not sure what to say. It's a consideration, but that being said, my eye doctor uses kleenex too.

Comment

Originally posted by gracie99 View Post
        An eye doc told me never to use tissues around my eyes because they shed little particles of wood fiber that get into eyes, resulting in irritation? Has anyone else heard of this?
        My doc told me the same thing about tissues a while back. In my case, he didn't want me using tissues to wipe saline off my hands when handling my contacts as the wood (cellulose) fibers would / could cling to the contact lens.

Comment

Before I had dry eye (mine was caused by surgery to open up puncta more), I had a sometimes-watery eye (hence the ill-fated surgery). I would have to dab the moisture out of the inside corner of my eye. My watery eye would get irritated and water MUCH more if I used Kleenex tissues. I would think cotton pads would be just as bad. My solution is to use handkerchiefs. I highly recommend them. They are still available at stores, although the ones they used to make years ago are much thinner and thus more flexible for eye-dabbing. I got mine from my (now deceased) mom, who got her stash from her deceased sister and thrift shops and garage sales. (My mom used to have constant nasal drip which is why she always kept a hanky in her pocket. I have nasal drip, too, and sometimes I wonder if it's related to something auto-immune which is exacerbating my MGD/DES.)

Comment

Yes! Linen handkerchiefs ~ perfect for cleaning spectacles too and can be washed very hot to kill bugs. We are using Great Grandmother's embroidered Irish linen since it's a 'rainy day' now, 4 generations later.
            Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

LOL Mermaid! I've got a bunch of grandma's linen hankies, table cloths, napkins. Thank you! We were wondering what to do with them.

Comment

Working...
              X