Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allergic Conjunctivitis - How Do You Deal With It?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergic Conjunctivitis - How Do You Deal With It?

Hi there dry eye community,

I have been on these boards for a few years but haven't posted in a long time. I made some great progress over the years in understanding my dry eye, and the core of it being allergic conjunctivitis.

I currently live in the DC area, which is ground zero for seasonal allergies. Back in March, I began Restasis after resisting for years, and found it helped me for all of one week. Suddenly, my eyes became gritty like they always have, and my allergies started to act up. The symptoms were feeling like something was under my upper eye lids, and my eyes becoming very blurry if I were to eve lightly touch my eyelids with my fingers. I went back to my optometrist, who examined my eye lids and saw papillae under both eye lids. Not huge ones (i.e. no giant papillary conjunctivitis), but there nonetheless. Diagnosis was allergic conjunctivitis.

I was put on a regimen of Patanol and Lotemax (in addition to my Restasis) and it took a while but after a couple months, I noticed a big improvement. But I had to get off the Lotemax and continued with the Patanol. After a while and into the summer, my symptoms have returned.

At the core of my issue is allergies. I normally don't have bad seasonal allergies (certainly no terrible sneezing or runny nose), but for some reason my eyes react very strongly to allergens. I like to be outside a lot and mountain bike on weekends, and that exposes me to a lot. I also sometimes wear daily contacts and only once or twice a week, so I know that can make things worse.

Does anyone have great tips or recommendations for dealing with allergic conjunctivits? Part of me can't wait for winter and to see my eyes get better, but I also can't keep on medicating myself non-stop (especially with Lotemax and the preservatives in drops).

Any insights are appreciated - thanks!

Here's what I learned dealing with allergic conjunctivitis... its either seasonal or all year (-perenal cant spell it right), you either have one or the other, their is no cure for allergies sadly, I have this too which effects my oil glands I think. I was on patanol/pataday as in the usa, it didn't help me but a thing called catacrom did, sadly it takes a while to work because it helps stabilise the cells if yours in the eyes are unstable this helps it reducing the allergies get into your eyes. You need to find, - something that helps, - what exactly as of the type you have aka seasonal/all year round. Do note, antihistamine eye drops dry your eyes out a bit so prepare for this. I think I'm allergic to dust/dust mites/grass mainly. If you can avoid it, it might help but if its all year round its in door allergens that' affect your eyes. I hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by epicjinx View Post
      Here's what I learned dealing with allergic conjunctivitis... its either seasonal or all year (-perenal cant spell it right), you either have one or the other, their is no cure for allergies sadly, I have this too which effects my oil glands I think. I was on patanol/pataday as in the usa, it didn't help me but a thing called catacrom did, sadly it takes a while to work because it helps stabilise the cells if yours in the eyes are unstable this helps it reducing the allergies get into your eyes. You need to find, - something that helps, - what exactly as of the type you have aka seasonal/all year round. Do note, antihistamine eye drops dry your eyes out a bit so prepare for this. I think I'm allergic to dust/dust mites/grass mainly. If you can avoid it, it might help but if its all year round its in door allergens that' affect your eyes. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I would term it perreneal as it seems to happen most of the year, although I am hoping that the winter would improve. I will have to wait and see.

Is the catacrom the same Rx as Cromolyn?

Comment

I think so yes, catacroms main ingredient is sodium cromoglicate. If nothing works for you try these I'm not sure if Cromolyn has preservatives or not that's why I'm on catacrom because it has none but sadly takes weeks to work for allergies due to it, but it isn't drying.

Comment

Also- It acts as an antiflammtory, because allergies cause inflammation/redness/itchynness/watery eyes. The antihistamine oral didn't do anything for me, so go for something that is topical it might take a few tries, I guess I'm lucky as most have preservatives in them.

Comment

Working...
          X