Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone tried Immunotherapy for their allergies?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hokucat
    replied
    Hi waterbee. This is great news! Thanks for the update, and hope you continue to do well.

Leave a comment:

• waterbee
    replied
    JULY UPDATE:

So i was right! once June passed my eyes went back doing well. (drops 4-6 hours) ive been having some of the best eye days and ive been so grateful. I actually now no longer use my moister chambers unless on the computer , and get this.... i take the silicon seal out of the frames, so im just using the tinted glass.
    i dont need the seal anymore! yaye.

a turning point was when my husband wanted the air con on, in the car a few weeks back and i reluctantly agreed (getting ready for the pain and keeping my eyes closed to avoid the wind) and it was actually ok for once. we both stopped and said, wow well this has never happends ever!

my husband then wanted to start leaving the fan on, in our room at night (its British summer time here) and so i said, well sure we can try and so we did and it was ok. eyes ok in the morning! still didnt need oil! not like they felt great, but they where NOT stuck together and i didnt wear my eye mask ether. i really think that this would of not been possible before. im not going to lie. just the sight of a fan used to make me shudder.

im now also eating foods that gave me bad reactions before, (peppers ect) with no bad effects (eye flares, itchy, ibs) and with this, ive now found i can eat gluten again (i didnt do LDI for this. but i think the effected of reducing inflammation over all has allowed me to cope with some other foods)

but lets be realistic because thats what i am, and i have other chronic health issues, so im never convinced of easy fixes! and well, its its summer here. the humidity is high, more so then any other time of the year . (though, my eyes are usually worse in summer. i cant rule out this isnt a weather thing or a one off) so lets see how things continue

im also now running out of my vaccine and have no way to get some more or retest at this point due to cost reasons, so im pretty much going to have to go approx 3-4 weeks without it very soon then start again before i can get back to London for 2 days of testing, in some ways this may be helpful to see what happends and hopefully it wont re-set everything.

Leave a comment:

• waterbee
    replied
    LDI stands for Low-dose immunotherapy. lots of information on line about that can give you information.

Leave a comment:

• linguininess
    replied
    Great to hear. Also, what is LDI?

Leave a comment:

• waterbee
    replied
    new update! i think the LDI is helping to improve my eyes, ( though after more reading it doesn't seem il get the full befits from them though until next year as right now im taking allergies shots for air born items that are everywhere, not really giving my immune system to settle down.) before June (after my cold ect) i had so many good eye days (late April-may) , not a cure but a good eye day for me, some of them felt like my best days considering my situation, but instead of this being rare, it was for almost a whole month, that was great, its amazing how quick you adjust when you get improvements, watching tv without moister chambers, not using oil at night, no shades the second i went outside, we even had a really windy day here in the UK and i went outside and moved some stuff in the garden (so it didn't get blown away) and only when i came in did i stop and think, wow i did that with no moister chambers and its winds of 40 miles an hour ? i couldn't even come down the stairs two years ago without the pain of that moment hitting my eyes pausing me in my tracks.! (i had improved after this point though, ive been doing a lot of things so LDI didn't take me from that, to this point, but just wanted to give some hope!) and aside from putting in drops every 3-4 hours i had no other issues (no puffiness, no massive eye fatigue, no stinging) for the majority of the day, only feeling those symptoms late evening (which i think to some degree is normal)
    then June hit, grass season. I knew this would happen, i actually put a note on my calendar to remind me. eyes puffy, dry, drops all the time blar blar blar. Now in the UK grass pollen it at its peak.
    im going to hold fire before i credit these recently improvements to the LDI, because i think there is more to consider. if this situation clears after June how ever and i go back to good days (until the next allergies season. yaye) its likely a contender. the crazy thing as i have no other symptoms of seasonal allergies, no runny noise no runny eyes, just dry eyes during the seasons and some sinus pressure (no mucus)

Leave a comment:

• ehsan372
    replied
    Originally posted by waterbee View Post
    another update!
    I've gone back to having pretty good dry eyes (drops every 2 hours ish ) and no longer itch when i take my shots! I randomly had a day when i only needed drops 4 times a few days ago, which is a rare occurrence for me unless i have a heavy cold. (actually its happend only twice to me in two years) so who knows, maybe its a good sign or maybe its just random event, dry eye is so up and down like that, drives me nuts i cant find a logical pattern to it.
    Thanks for update. I am very happy success with shot. I recommend you to take evening primrose oil capsule.when I took this, my allergy and dry eye are pretty good.one person after 40 years suffered from allergy and sinusitis told me this method.this is work better than all antihistamine.
    Last edited by ehsan372; 28-Apr-2017, 13:39.

Leave a comment:

• waterbee
    replied
    another update!
    I've gone back to having pretty good dry eyes (drops every 2 hours ish ) and no longer itch when i take my shots! I randomly had a day when i only needed drops 4 times a few days ago, which is a rare occurrence for me unless i have a heavy cold. (actually its happend only twice to me in two years) so who knows, maybe its a good sign or maybe its just random event, dry eye is so up and down like that, drives me nuts i cant find a logical pattern to it.

Leave a comment:

• waterbee
    replied
    Well just after my allergies started up i caught a head cold and then a virus and was pretty sick, So still no way to see whats allergies, whats LDI and whats viruses.
    I did go back to the clinic and had every possible air born immno test done. there was so many. so i got a mixed vaccine done with over 30 things in it, all of which im taking along side my other existing treatment. (just to make me feel a bit worse in the short term! ugh as soon as i take them i itch) There is not a tree, grass, weed, mold, fur out there that im now not having allergies treatment for. so lets wait and see.

(ps eyes still feel awful! but during head cold didnt need any drops for 48 hours. I WAS A NORMAL EYE PERSON! EYES FELT SUPER HUMAN! ...but now, meh not so much)

Leave a comment:

• Hokucat
    replied
    Thanks for the update, Waterbee. That is a good sign you can eat things you couldn't before. Interesting about how your dry eye issues started when you first got sinusitis a few years ago. Hopefully you are on to something, and the shots continue to help your allergies and perhaps your eyes after this allergy season is over!

Leave a comment:

• waterbee
    replied
    3 week update!

I actually had some interesting experiences when is started doing the shots, at first my eyes actually got heavy after taking them and slightly puffy. it made me notice all this time, that my eye lids look quite different on a good dry eye day compared to a bad one, i also got very tired after taking my shot, which is all good and normal and after around 2 hours my eyes went back to normal (well, dry eye normal for me) and felt pretty good !

Then the spring hit here in the UK, and as usual i developed sinusitis (this happens every year, around Feb to April and matches up to when my dry eye issues started approx 2 years ago, (sometimes i wonder if it could be something to do with trees or early spring flowers , as it all matches up to when i relocated to an area with these type and thats when they come into bloom, but who knows)

so now i really cant tell you if its doing any good as im to blocked up and sick to notice. my eyes have gone stingy and heavy (drops every 15 mins from 2 hours) ) which isnt really a surprise me as it goes hand in hand with the sinus issue.

when ive saved enough im going to get tree and pollen added to my shots (i took dustmites, animal fur and food allergies in my first round and ran out of money to do more) so hopefully NEXT year i wont have this issue (even if its just the sinus issue)

so il up date after April again (when allergies are gone) and keep doing my shots. I do think its very promising and can already eat food that i couldn't of eaten before, so wont be giving up yet.

Leave a comment:

• Hokucat
    replied
    Yes, doctors can have different opinions, and sounds like your treatment getting shots every day is different than my son getting shots once a week in the beginning, so that plus him being a kid might make a difference. Am glad you figured out the optimal time of day to do it. Good luck, am sure in the long run the shots will help a lot!

Leave a comment:

• waterbee
    replied
    no they told me that taking any sort of anti histamine wasn't a good idea. (all docs are so different ant they) they seem to think the reaction is ok, and when it stops it can indicate to me when its time to increase the volume. They told me it should take about 2 weeks to start to settle down. Im now just taking the shots before bed as if not my eyes are to sore,( and the fatigue they bring on makes me want to sleep anyway.)

Leave a comment:

• Hokucat
    replied
    Hi Waterbee. Did they tell you to take Benedryl a half hour or so prior to getting each shot? Or at worst case you can take it right after the shot. It helps reduce the allergic reaction to the shots. That's what they the doctor has my son do.

Leave a comment:

• waterbee
    replied
    Yes of course, if you like will update In a few weeks then a few months.

I started the Vacinations today (we have to do them ourselfs at home everyday for 4 months , after which we have to retest them at the clinic to encrease the concentration in the Vacinations and continue this cycle until symptoms are gone, it's quite Taylor made there to the individual ) anyway, I started them today and with in 15 mins my eyes puffed up, in fact they are still feeling heavy and fatigued and rubbish. (More so then normal) was having a good run with my dry eye (drops every 2-3 hrs is good fir me) and now that's over. I think it might be a rough few weeks but definitely be worth it to see if this is connected and the nurse said it should settle down soon.
    One interesting conversation I had while at the clinic was a lady who had stuffy sinus issues all her life (no congestion or hay fever symptoms so her local gp told her it must of been the way she was born) anyway long story short she ignored the advice and came to the clinic privately and had the vaccines for hay fever and perfume and all her sinus issues had cleared up, she said she couldn't believe it and it's changed her life, her enthusiasm was really infectious!
    I have stuffy sinus issues since I got dry eye (the same year) so even if my dry eyes are not cleared up if they go it will be worth it.

Leave a comment:

• dryeyesandchocolate
    replied
    Hey Waterbee,

Good luck and keep us posted! I tried Immunotherapy when I was 17. I had severe ragweed and tree allergies. It was something like 1 shot every week for several months then one shot every 2 weeks for a few more months. Allergies are kind of hard to quantify, because every season is different and they always feel awful! But I definitely noticed it helped me. I should have kept on it longer because that was ~7 years ago and this past year my allergies were the worst they've been in years. I'm considering doing it again. The only thing holding me back is the huge time commitment.

Please let us know how it goes for you. Even if it doesn't help the dry eye, it will be great to get some relief from allergies anyways

Leave a comment:

Working...
X