This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allergic to lotemax/allergy drops? please read & reply

ok. so i basically cannot use anything for my papillae and eye allergies. Dr. Foulks had me on non preserved steriod drops from Leiters-compound pharmacy. My eyes would stay red for about 20 minutes after i put them =mostly my left eye. I called Dr. F. He said to stop them. Has anyone else had this problem? I can't use these or any type of allergy drops cause they dry my eyes and make them really red!
    help!
    Jenny

Hi,

I have was told 5 days ago that I had allergies, so this is all new to me. I have been using Lotamax since then and it has help a lot with the iching and the pinching feeling on the inner part of my eye, to be honest that is the only place I experience the itching and pinching sensation..how about you?

I also had my upper plug removed as it had slipped out three times, I pushed it back in, impressing my Dr. with my skill with a tweezers.

I have experienced very slight raw feeling and today I have a feeling like my bottom eyelid is inflammed on the inside. I have MGD and ocular rosacea so this could be to do with the plug being removed rather than the Lotamax.

So I don't know if this is any help to you, I am very new to this allergy thing. I never thought to ask what type of allergies, and am going to get tested next week. Were you told. My pain was only in the area between the punctal plug and the nose, and the redness has gone down. Is your pain centered in any area?

Bernadette

Comment

Jenny
      Does this include artificial tears? I equate allergy drops to ads that say "get the red out".

Comment

No, I never use any over the counter -get the red out drops... I cannot use Pataday, Elestat, Lotemax and now not even a steriod drop from Leiters pharmacy that has no preservatives. My eye (mostly my left eye ) becomes dark red and waters for about 20-30 minutes after i put the drop in.. My doctor said this is a reaction to the drop and I must stop using them.

I have seasonal allergies to pollen-get them every spring. I have small papillae under my eyelids -I guess I just have to hope they go away on there.. Now I am so dry from trying the Elestat and non preserved steriods. Can't take a thing for inflmammation...
        Jenny

Comment

Jenny,

Geez, this situation stinks! Does your doctor have any other ideas -- like what, exactly, it is in the drop that is causing this reaction or what else you might try?

Also, some other allergy treatments advertise that they treat eye symptoms, as well. I'm thinking of things like claritin or steroid nasal sprays (e.g. nasonex) could relieve your allergy eye symptoms. Of course, they also can be very *drying* so maybe that's not a good option.

If it's seasonal allergies that is causing this, I have two ideas: first, if it's caused by inhaling the allergens, consider using a neti pot (it's really helped my symptoms); second, if it's caused by the pollen getting into your eyes and irritating them, maybe you should become fanatical about wearing some kind of goggles to keep the pollen out.

I would hope that your doctor can get to the bottom of this -- that's what he is for, right??

I wish you luck with this -- you shouldn't have to just put up with the discomfort and pain and hope the bumps go away.

Teri
          Last edited by Teri; 16-Apr-2009, 09:27. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Jenny,

Could you ask Dr. Foulks if taking allergy shots would help you? I know a few people whose allergy symptoms went away after shots...it's like every week for 6 months though. Also, these people did not have DE, just eye allergies and nasal allergies.

Comment

Thanks everyone.. He told me to call early next week after being off the steriods for several days. I realy don't know if there is anything else I can take.. and yeah I tried allergy shots years ago and had bad reactions to that! but thanks.. i appreciate everyones input!
              Jenny

Comment

Also, do you have high quality HEPA air purifiers at home for environmental control? I know that has helped a lot of people when they are at home.

Comment

Jenny
                  you may consider systemic antiinflammatories.

Comment

i know what you're going through jenny i have ocular allergy and nothing i'm trying is helping, i had a bad reaction to allergy shots as well and oral antihistamines don't work and only make my eyes drier, and any allergy drop i try only makes them more irritated--back to the allergist next week, if i finally stumble across anything that actually works i'll let you know...

Comment

Working...
                    X