This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold, help!

In the house I've been renting for one year there's a lot of mold, that keeps coming back after I clean it. It is so bad that it grew on a basketball hat that hanged in the bedroom. There's nothing I can do about it, the walls seem full of it so I decided to move. I suspect that could cause a bad worsening of my once mild dry eyes that I have been experiencing for 6 months. So i decided to move.
    Does anybody know if mold can cause dry eyes? I don't know if I'm allergic though. Could it cause irreversible damage to my eyes?I'm very scared!I wish I could go away as soon as possible but I need time to find a new house...

Leave

Yes. Mold can cause allergies. I would leave as quickly as possible That does not sound good.

Gretchen

Comment

Mold is bad for the body in general, you don't want to be breathing in the spores.

In San Francisco a Landlord would not be able to rent a property if there was a mold problem...

Bernadette

Comment

Bernmee -

In San Francisco, a landlord can't charge rent if the tenant doesn't like the wallpaper!

But seriously, Lui, Bernadette is right. Mold that is that pervasive is very bad for everything - eyes, skin, respiratory tract. I would go stay with friends/family/hotel until you find other arrangements. You will also need to fully dry out your belongings. Mold usually grows where there are water problems, such as behind walls and under floors.

Gretchen

Comment

Lui,
          I was renting a place for two years and didn't know there was mold because it was in the walls it was never on the outside of the walls where I could see it. One weekend I helped the landlord even tear out the living room wall because of a window leak ~ there was black mold all in the insulation and inside the walls. Two days after I helped him I was horribly sick for three months ~ on antibiotics. I had no idea how dangerous that stuff was. We moved soon after I got well enough.

Things I have read about mold and what it causes is scary and it is amazing how toxic that stuff is.

Best wishes on finding a new place soon.

Comment

Thanks everybody, I've started already to look for a new place, hopefully I will be lucky and find one soon. I cannot stay anywhere else, I'm abroad and have no family or friends that could give me hospitality

Comment

The double wide which used to be on the lot next to me developed mold and towards the end a family moved in there and he got really sick in a couple of months; had something horrible like a stroke or something.

Don't know for sure the mold was the cause but that place was marked "unfit for human habitation" after that....

Comment

Working...
              X