This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergies...

So I took the well trodden path across the atlantic a couple of weeks ago to see Dr Latkany. No major surprises, he diagnosed me with allergies and rosecea. The rosecea is very doubtful. My face isn't flushed/red and neither are my eyes usually. Although they happened to be red on the day since his nurse had put in Florescein drops and prodded them a before he looked at them.

As for the allergy diagnosis. Well I don't have any of the 'usual' symptoms such as itching/watering or papillae but then others on this site have had relief going down the allergies route despite not having these symptoms either.

Well, I've just got prick (skin) tested for the major allergens and came up big time on dust mites. I knew this since I had this test done when I was young and i always sneeze around laundry etc. Well the doc prescribed Nedocromil (contains Chromolin and BAK!) eye drops and a nasal spray called Fluticasone (aka Flonase).

He said that it's been discovered that allergic reactions taking place in the nose can affect the lungs and eyes. Hence the prescription of the nasal spray even though I have no sinus issues really.

Anyway, I have a question Looking through this site it seems that Chromolin is no more effective than Patanol (which I've tied for 2 weeks) and Flonase is more a cause of dry eyes than cure.

Has anyone had any relief for eyes from either of these? Should I go back and try Patanol for longer? Should I assume that since I have MGD that even if I get the allergies under control it may take a long time to find relief as the glands are still blocked?

thanks.

very interested to read this - I've pm'd you with a specific question.

What kind of doc prescribed the meds you've currently been given? it's so hard to know what to do for the best, and I think most docs don't know really quite as much as they like to make out...

Are your MGs completely blocked, or do you get some oil coming out?

do you do compresses every day to get things moving?

I think I've got some sort of allergies as well, and have been trying to figure out for ages what on earth it could be and how to avoid it....

sucks, doesn't it?

Comment

Instead of relying on the drops i would eliminate the allergies, see my mast post in the dr toyos thread..

If you know its dust this has narrowed down alot of things for you, so all you need to do is remove dust and dust mites.
      I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

It's a bit of shot in the dark with this but it's as good as any other. I just bought a hepa allergy vacuum yesterday. I'm a bit over excited to try it out

The doc that prescribed these was one who worked in the allergy dept. of the NHS clinic i got tested so he knows about allergies but not necessarily about eyes. I havent started these meds yet but I figure taking the nasal spray can't hurt too much even though I've read some bad things about it on DEZ. But I'm very reluctant to put more eye drops into my eyes with BAK in them. I asked in Boots (big chemist in UK) about getting Zaditen PF drops (which some people on DEZ have tried) but they may have to get any PF allergy drops specially made (on prescription).

My glands are blocked but some milky oil comes out if they are pressed really hard (obviously i can't see this but I've been told). Does any one agree/disagree that if allergies is the cause that it may take months for your eyes to benefit with allergy treatments?

Ok, I know if it's inflammation in theory it could go down quickly and bob's your uncle but then this thing took years to develop in my case.

Comment

Hi - interesting post, all I can add is another warning regarding the BAK - I am a sure as anyone can be that it was BAK that caused my MGD / Bleph - if you can use any other product (even one with a less harsh preservative) then do so. Keep BAK out of your eyes if at all possible is my shout!

Ell
          The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

hard to say when it comes to time scales...I would have thought that once allergens were removed you might see reasonably rapid improvement...one can always hope!

Comment

Working...
            X