This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tbut??

I was wondering if a tear break up time of 6 seconds is good or what?? if so, what could be causeing it? The doctor also concluded with my schirmer's test that I produce 10% of the tears I should. What is the actual schirmer score with that called? Is that a 1 or a 10?

Your doctor should have explained this more to you. I am sorry that he did not.

A Schirmer's score of 10+ is considered normal. As your doctor did not give you the number but only told you it showed that you were producing 10% of what you should, one could extrapolate to say that it may have been a 1 or a 2. In either case, obviously producing 10% of the normal range of tears is low.

A TBUT of 10+ seconds is considered normal. Your score of 6 seconds would be a bit low.

What else did the doctor say? Did he prescribe anything?

Gretchen

Comment

Originally posted by Gretchen View Post
      Your doctor should have explained this more to you. I am sorry that he did not.

A Schirmer's score of 10+ is considered normal. As your doctor did not give you the number but only told you it showed that you were producing 10% of what you should, one could extrapolate to say that it may have been a 1 or a 2. In either case, obviously producing 10% of the normal range of tears is low.

A TBUT of 10+ seconds is considered normal. Your score of 6 seconds would be a bit low.

What else did the doctor say? Did he prescribe anything?

Gretchen
      Thank you so much for the response!
      and yes I've gone through quite a bit of treatments. I'm contemplating on getting the top pluggs put in my eyes as I already have the bottoms done and havn't had problems with them.

Comment

should I do lid scrubs and massages or anything like that?

Comment

You could try these to see if they help.

Have you read the "Dry Eye Remedy" by Dr Latkany? It really helped me to understand the fundamentals of this disease and be able to ask really good questions to my eye doc. It may help you to put some of the pieces together.

Regards,
          Gretchen

Comment

Your results seem to indicate that you have both evaporative and aqueous deficiency. Did your doc provide an explanation for this? Such as getting tested for allergies, autoimmune diseases, etc. Did you have Lasik? Were you an accutane user? Do you have ocular rosacea? It's important to have a good history of your background for a doc to treat you, instead of just going by tbut and schirmers.

What did your doc say your have and what did he/her suggest for treatment? If all your doc can do for you is plugs, restasis, and lubricating drops, or they are simply brushing you off...then I suggest you find a new doc.

I second Gretchen's advice on getting Dr. L's book.

Comment

Originally posted by odydnas View Post
              Your results seem to indicate that you have both evaporative and aqueous deficiency. Did your doc provide an explanation for this? Such as getting tested for allergies, autoimmune diseases, etc. Did you have Lasik? Were you an accutane user? Do you have ocular rosacea? It's important to have a good history of your background for a doc to treat you, instead of just going by tbut and schirmers.

What did your doc say your have and what did he/her suggest for treatment? If all your doc can do for you is plugs, restasis, and lubricating drops, or they are simply brushing you off...then I suggest you find a new doc.

I second Gretchen's advice on getting Dr. L's book.
              I asked him about what I have and he just said mostly aqueous deficiency and not bad TBUT. I have been tested for an autoimmune disease and it came back negative, but not allergies. I do get bad allergies, but I don't have very red eyes. And I don't think I have ocular Rosacea because I don't have the skin problems.

Comment

Working...
              X