Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Eye syndrome gotten worse after a corneal ulcer / abrasion?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eye syndrome gotten worse after a corneal ulcer / abrasion?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but finding a lot of useful conversations around. My main concern as of now is that after a corneal ulcer in my right eye, the dryness has gotten unbearable! I have to lubricate it every 15 minutes or so, and most of the day it looks red (sometime blood shot).

A little more of my background:

Had Steven-Johnson Syndrome (SJS) in 2008.
    At point of the SJS period, my eyes got stuck shut and my ophthamologist was out of town (sadly, no on call doctor available at the hospital)

My eyes have been dry ever since. The dryness was still manageable (possibly because I live in a humid climate?)

Haven't worn contacts since

Poked myself in the eye last month and ended up with a bad Corneal Ulcer

The Ulcer has healed but the dryness in my right eye has increased since. The lubricants prescribed don't work for a long time; none of them works consistently in alleviating the problem. Some work well at one time, then at other times they just irritate my eye. I've also noticed the sensitivity to odors / environmental irritants etc (such as cooking of food, perfume spray) has increased.

Has anyone had a similar issue of dryness INCREASING after a corneal ulcer or abrasion? How are you managing it and anything I can do at home, such as cold / warm compresses?

Hi and welcome.

Have you had, or can you have a doctor look at your meibomian glands (oil glands in the eyelids)? I am wondering if your issues is all about actual dryness from poor aqueous tear production or also about rapid evaporation from a lack of oil.

In the meantime, one of the most practical ways to deal with it is protective eyewear...
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for the reply. I'll check with my doctor next time I visit him.

What has happened last couple of times that I've been to him is that he has turned my upper eyelid inside-out (?) and lightly scraped off some film that has formed there. I think he called it a mucoid film or layer. He also told me there are some blockages in there and maybe he could try to remove some of them. I didn't really understand the details at the time but i'll do some research and ask him.

Comment

Working...
      X