X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCE tips and marginal gains

Hi all,

I've recently been diagnosed with RCE in my right eye. Unfortunately I have an exotic eye history of acute astigmatism and ocular lens implant surgery as well. The problems started a month ago when I'd wake up with a red, painful eye either during the night or in the mornings. The pain usually subsided after about an hour and my eye returned to normal. An Ophthalmologist prescribed some eye drops to prevent infection and some lacri-lube.

The laci-lube helped and my symptoms subsided until last week when I woke up in pure agony. It was too painful to read anything or look at computer screen for a week. I was prescribed heavy painkillers and a cocktail of moisturizing eye drops. This week I still have a problem of slightly red eye (during most of the day which varying levels of redness) and a minor cornea abrasion in the morning which tends to heal by the afternoon.

My pain is always worse in the mornings. I feel like I wake up with a minor cornea abrasion that gradually heals during the day. My eye usually heals fine by the evening (albeit it may still be slightly red). My doctor has suggested this may be caused by my slightly saggy and wrinkled epithelium.

Some questions:

1) My eye still has blurry vision, which I think tends to better the longer I go without sleep. My Ophthalmologist suggested that this might be caused by my epithelium sagging and wrinkling slightly. Does this sound plausible?

2) Is this saggy epithelium most likely causing my pain the mornings (and it is always mornings when it is worse). If so, how can I minimise this?

3) Is it waking up that causes the abrasion, or my eyes moving when I'm asleep?

4) What possible things can I do to minimise this whole inconvenience?

- Opening my window (to keep my room moist)?
    - Sleeping in bursts of 90 minutes instead of 8 consecutive hours?
    - Keeping eyes moist at all times?
    - My diet? Caffeine or alcohol?
    - More/less exercise?
    - Sleeping on my back/front/left side/right side?
    - Wearing an eye-patch (either during sleep or during the day once I've already got the cornea abrasion)?
    - waking up with closed eyes
    - gently rubbing my (closed) eye upon awakening (with the aim of separating my eyelid and my cornea safety)?

Any and all marginal gains are appreciated.

This is a great forum and I've already seen some very helpful advice here. Any suggestions are welcome.

Kind regards,
    Luke
Working...
X