Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Suffered large Corneal abrasion and it was the worst pain imaginable !

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Suffered large Corneal abrasion and it was the worst pain imaginable !

Basically last Friday at 6am in the morning I suddenly woke up with gritty swollen red eyes , so I took a shower and it felt slightly better though out the day , until the next early morning my eyes suddenly felt much worse so I took another shower and expressed my eyelid under the hot shower for 30 minutes and the grittiness felt a little better until I got out of the shower that is ! And suddenly BAM! Pain like I have never experienced in my life on scale of 1-50. 50 I would say ! Suddenly I was experiencing body shocks like shooting pain through my entire body and my left eye was totally blurry .. I was desperate and my wife was so scared so we rang the hospital I had to go to A &E to be told. Had an infection ? So I was sent home with chloraphenicol and drops and was in agony ! Anyway I ended visiting my local optometrist and he said I had a large corneal ulcer ! Omg I was so worried so I was immediately referred to the emergency ophthalmology department the same day and was diagnosed with large corneal abrasion covering nearly half my cornea and half my iris ..! I was sent home with anti biotics and drops and that's it.

Recovery is very slow and pain is now reducing along with huge swollen lids but my vision is still very blurry 5 days later and I have felt very limited by all this .. I read that it can 6-8 weeks for vision to come back from a large abrasion ? I am currently administering lots of sodium hylauronate drops to speed healing along with lots of supplements and healthy diet. The outer layer ( corneal epithelium ) is usually more brittle in dry eye sufferers so more prone to compromise .. So I think all the rubbing pulled a bit of my corneal epithelial layer off I think or there might have been a foreign body in my eye ? Silly me! I will never rub my eye that long again .

Mario
    "Only the body can heal itself, and all healing must come from within your body."

Hi Hyperhead, I had a severe corneal ulcer that started on July 9 on my left eye. I originally thought it was pink eye and didn't go to the ER until 2 days later when I couldn't handle the pain any longer. Doctor took a culture sample and said it was a pseudomonas infection due to over wear of contacts. I had to see the ophthalmologist everyday for a week, then every 2-3 days the second week, & currently once a week. Eyes were bloodshot red for almost 3 weeks. For the first week I had to take ofloxacin 1 drop every hour, homatropine 2 drops per day, preservative free artificial tears every hour.e Scond & third week, replaced ofloxacin with ciprofloxacin and took 1 drop every 2 hours while awake. For the fourth week, i took the cipro once every 4 hours, homatropine twice a day, vitamin c 1000mg 2x a day, added steroids- 4 drops per day, artificial tears. It took 4 weeks for the ulcer to close & now I'm left with a 2mm scar, luckily Dr said it's most likely not on my visual axis. Now the 5th week and I'm only using the steroid drops 4x a day to try to see if it can minimize the scar. The first 2 weeks were definitely the scariest, not being able to see anything and wondering if I'll end up blind. Vision started improving alot around the 4th & 5th week and currently at 20/40 with glasses & Dr said I should regain most of my vision back. Might have to use RGP lense to flatten out the scar & allow more vision to pass through. Make sure to use tons of preservative free tears and take vitamin C 1000 mg twice a day. My next Drs appointment is on 8/18/15. Eyes are still a bit sensitive to sunlight. How are you currently doing? Let me know if you have any questions, I know this must be terrifying especially during the first week of having an ulcer.

Comment

Hi misslc87,
      Is your eye better? I had an ulcer three months ago that left a small scar but my eye has been very dry ever since and still doesn't feel right. Will it ever get better?

Comment

Omg late reply ! Yes my eye is totally healed thanks to careful supplementation of vitamins and hygiene .. No visible scarring and RCE Aiding healing of the Epithelial cell matrix early was the key .. Vitamins like spirulina , Astaxanthin , N acetylcysteine , vitamin c all helped tremendously .. Thanks for your concern
        "Only the body can heal itself, and all healing must come from within your body."

Comment

Working...
        X