This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vision starting to deteriorate from dry eye

I had SJS about 7 years ago, recently my right eye's (worst of the two) vision has been deteriorating. I can't even see clearly out of that eye. It's just a fog/blurred vision now. Anyone else had to deal with that? Any idea on how to fix this?

Hi!

Have you seen your eye doctor recently about the worsening of your vision in your right eye and explained the symptoms you are experiencing (fog/blurred vision)? If not, perhaps you might wish to set up an appointment with him so that he can examine your eyes to determine what is causing these symptoms.

Also, have you ever considered trying the Boston Scleral Lens as I understand from reading the subsection called "Sclerals: The Liquid Bandage" in the DEZ forum that these lens might be beneficial for those who have Steven Johnson Syndrome.

Pam

Comment

PROSE (boston sclerals) really is the treatment of choice for severe SJS dry eye (of course only applicable here if your vision symptoms really are from cornea/dry eye). I can't remember whether this is something you had previously considered or if you have any other conditions that make it not an option for you? I think you mentioned another SJS patient you knew who benefitted from it.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
        PROSE (boston sclerals) really is the treatment of choice for severe SJS dry eye (of course only applicable here if your vision symptoms really are from cornea/dry eye). I can't remember whether this is something you had previously considered or if you have any other conditions that make it not an option for you? I think you mentioned another SJS patient you knew who benefitted from it.
        Well, it has only been a few months since I went to my ophthalmologist and he said my cornea's look just fine. He can tell my eyes have been through hell and back but my eyes itself look fine. I just recently had surgery on my left eye for entropion repair and that worked great. My left eye feels awesome! Really reduced the inflammation. But my right eye is the worse eye and overtime, the vision has been getting worse and worse. I should be having the same surgery by the end of the year on the right eye so that may help, but don't know what to do about the vision. Next time I go to the dr. I will mention it to him. I am really worried about having to go to the sclerals because it would be a life changing thing having to take them out every couple of hours and put more and more fluids in them, but who knows.

Comment

I guess a developing cataract can be the case with u...as with most surgeries, if steroids eye drops r used, it can lead to an early cataract...also a SJS eye is sensitive case for cataract.Get it checked...Hope nothing else wud be the problem

What is entropion repair? can u plz let me know in detail? why u had to go thru that surgery?
          Really need to be a ROCK to take the pain!

Comment

Originally posted by hirentherock View Post
            I guess a developing cataract can be the case with u...as with most surgeries, if steroids eye drops r used, it can lead to an early cataract...also a SJS eye is sensitive case for cataract.Get it checked...Hope nothing else wud be the problem

What is entropion repair? can u plz let me know in detail? why u had to go thru that surgery?
            Basically my eye lids are/were inverted. My eye lashes pointed straight into my eye which caused a lot of pain and inflammation. What they did was take membranes from the inside of my mouth and attach them to the inside of my eye lids to push the lids back out. It helped so much.

Comment

Originally posted by grandsporta View Post
              I am really worried about having to go to the sclerals because it would be a life changing thing having to take them out every couple of hours and put more and more fluids in them, but who knows.
              Just so you know, not everyone has to take out their sclerals every couple hours. I've met people who can wear them 16 hrs straight, or only take them out once a day to add fresh saline to the lens.

Comment

Originally posted by odydnas View Post
                Just so you know, not everyone has to take out their sclerals every couple hours. I've met people who can wear them 16 hrs straight, or only take them out once a day to add fresh saline to the lens.
                Well thats good to know. I was just referencing someone I met right after I got SJS who had SJS as well but got it a lot worse then I did. He had the lens' but had to take them out every 2 hours and had to put drops in his eyes every 5-10 min or so.

Comment

Every 5-10 minutes? Yikes. Has your friend tried moisture chamber glasses?

I know several people who have to refill the lenses at least once during the day - usually because of mucous collecting on the lenses. I believe they are working on a lens material improvement that could repel the mucous. - I don't know statistics but based on the wearers I know personally, I feel fairly sure that a majority wearing them don't need to remove them during the day. (I am one of those lucky ones.) I don't know which specific factors make this more likely.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                    Every 5-10 minutes? Yikes. Has your friend tried moisture chamber glasses?

I know several people who have to refill the lenses at least once during the day - usually because of mucous collecting on the lenses. I believe they are working on a lens material improvement that could repel the mucous. - I don't know statistics but based on the wearers I know personally, I feel fairly sure that a majority wearing them don't need to remove them during the day. (I am one of those lucky ones.) I don't know which specific factors make this more likely.
                    He isn't a friend, just someone I met back in 2004 when I was getting discharged from the Army because of SJS. His tear ducts were completely gone. He just couldn't produce any kind of tear on his own. Goggles wouldn't have done anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X