Are they ever going to find a cure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are they ever going to find a cure?

I hate dry eye so much I hate it! It's degrading the quality of my life. Every single day for the past year I woke up concerning about my eyes. Nothing is working. Right now I'm just waiting and hoping for a breakthrough that someone will find a cure. Will they ever find one? Will I have to live with this for the rest of my life? I will pay any amount of money to get rid of this.

Originally posted by romeodakins View Post
    I hate dry eye so much I hate it! It's degrading the quality of my life. Every single day for the past year I woke up concerning about my eyes. Nothing is working. Right now I'm just waiting and hoping for a breakthrough that someone will find a cure. Will they ever find one? Will I have to live with this for the rest of my life? I will pay any amount of money to get rid of this.
    thats what im wondering as well, its pretty discouraging but at this point i take it as any chronic health problem out there as diabetes. its hard to feel happy with it. as for your question, forget it, there never will be a cure for it but there is a cure called '' nutrition ''.

Comment

Originally posted by dryeye4ever View Post
      thats what im wondering as well, its pretty discouraging but at this point i take it as any chronic health problem out there as diabetes. its hard to feel happy with it. as for your question, forget it, there never will be a cure for it but there is a cure called '' nutrition ''.
      That is a GIANT load of pessimism. I can't say I agree with or endorse such thinking.

I guarantee you in the next 2-5 years, you will see more drugs released to combat dry eye.

I think Mimetogen is definitely onto something, and they are somewhat close to getting their drugs to the people (by close, I mean in the next 2-5 years). There are many other companies as well. Check out THIS LINK and scroll down to the blue section.

Not to mention STEM CELLS. They are curing blindness with stem cell contact lenses. I'm sure they could find a way to treat dry eye as well.

To say, "There will never be a cure" is, IMO, a load of crap. New drugs will be released. They will help some people get better.

This is a growing problem in America and the world. The human population has now been staring at computer screens pretty consistently for what... 15-ish years now? And the computer companies keep making them BIGGER and BRIGHTER. Same with flat screen televisions.

Trust me... science is growing at an exponential rate these days. Have faith.
      Last edited by MartyM1985; 02-May-2013, 22:53.
      32/M ATD • Getting better every day!

Comment

Originally posted by MartyM1985 View Post
        That is a GIANT load of pessimism. I can't say I agree with or endorse such thinking.

I guarantee you in the next 2-5 years, you will see more drugs released to combat dry eye.

I think Mimetogen is definitely onto something, and they are somewhat close to getting their drugs to the people (by close, I mean in the next 2-5 years). There are many other companies as well. Check out THIS LINK and scroll down to the blue section.

Not to mention STEM CELLS. They are curing blindness with stem cell contact lenses. I'm sure they could find a way to treat dry eye as well.

To say, "There will never be a cure" is, IMO, a load of crap. New drugs will be released. They will help some people get better.

This is a growing problem in America and the world. The human population has now been staring at computer screens pretty consistently for what... 15-ish years now? And the computer companies keep making them BIGGER and BRIGHTER. Same with flat screen televisions.

Trust me... science is moves faster at an exponential rate these days. Have faith.
        Thanks for the good news! I just feel there's not much awareness for dry eyes. I don't know anybody in real life that has this issue while for example, cancer is well awared. It's good to know that there are companies out there working on the issue of dry eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by romeodakins View Post
          Thanks for the good news! I just feel there's not much awareness for dry eyes. I don't know anybody in real life that has this issue while for example, cancer is well awared. It's good to know that there are companies out there working on the issue of dry eyes.
          There is money to be made off of this problem. You think the other drug companies aren't looking at Restasis and wanting a piece of that pie?

I still think Mimetogen is onto something big. "Nerve growth factor" sounds like they are barking up the right tree.

Have faith and hang in there duder!

Comment

Originally posted by MartyM1985 View Post
            There is money to be made off of this problem. You think the other drug companies aren't looking at Restasis and wanting a piece of that pie?
            I totally agree with this. Thanks to the baby boomers, we are going to have an enormous population of seniors, and the odds of dry eyes increase with age. Add to that all the people with varying degrees of dry eye from contact lens wear, computer use, and refractive surgery, and there is definitely money to be made - and where there is money to be made, you KNOW there are companies trying to figure out how get some of that... which is good news for us.

And in the meantime, you just try to make the best of things, and wait it out. (or move to a more humid climate haha... that's my strategy for now )

Comment

hmmmm...

There is money to be made, specially if they don't find a cure.

Comment

I think a "cure" is complex since there are soooo many different reasons why people have dry eyes

1) nerve damage from refractive surgery
                2) MGD (which can also be caused by a ton of different things)
                -allergies
                -ocular rosacea
                -demodex
                -etc.
                3) aqueous deficiency (also can be caused by a ton of different things)

So perhaps cures will come, but not all at once since there are so many different causes... one by one, they'll figure out a way to fix whatever is wrong for good. And until they figure out a fix for all of them, then treatments that increase comfort, increase one's ability to function etc will be the money makers.

Comment

I think SAAG makes an excellent point about the baby boomers and increased incidence of dry eye, and baby boomers have money. What we need is a strong lobby in Washington. That's what the AIDs community had and it is mind-boggling how quickly the anti-aids drugs got pushed through the FDA. Anyone have any political connections? I'm willing to bet if someone formed a lobby there would be plenty of financial support out there for it.

Comment

its not pessisim its just that its a complex problem and its an inflammation and as like saag said, people have different diagnoses from lasik surgery to wind/medication. The diagnoses are different and i think some of us even have evaporative dry eye which i think is the majority no?

Big pharma seems to be trying to bank on big on this, i live in quebec, canada and our health care system is different. Pharmacies have been selling restasis recently but we all know its crap and its not covered by medical insurance and almost every medication is convered by insurance here.

The cure is natural, i know being 23 years old, i can cure dry eyes in 3-6 months naturally but are we willing to sacrifice our career, life and fun because of a recovery? I mean there will be no elixir, its someting that can be fixed in the long term, those of us that think that there will be a magic cure are wasting their time. Jads is a member of those forum and has proved that with a good detoxx, dry eyes can be reversed. Im an idiot and i got dry eyes because of a long term computer usage wit high brightness and brightness causes a lot of eye fatigue. Remind you that that i got dry eyess because of a laptop and your positioning isnt the same. I miss my old ass LCD monitor and you have less chances to get dry eyes since you are on a chair and are far from the screen. OLD IS GOLD.
                    We make it look like its cancer, its just someting that can be fixed in the long term but its hard to focus on recovery because we have bills to pay and etc. Should we not just take vacations for our dry eyes? we should. I almost did tis full recovery and let me tell you, you have to have the will. As for fellow canadian saag, i refuse to believe post lasik dry eye is not reversible, stay strong and i can feel your pain SAAG.

Comment

Originally posted by browneyesblu View Post
                      I think SAAG makes an excellent point about the baby boomers and increased incidence of dry eye, and baby boomers have money. What we need is a strong lobby in Washington. That's what the AIDs community had and it is mind-boggling how quickly the anti-aids drugs got pushed through the FDA. Anyone have any political connections? I'm willing to bet if someone formed a lobby there would be plenty of financial support out there for it.
                      Amazing what a powerful lobby can do for sure.

One of the biggest hurdles for OUR problem is that for most people, dry eye is no big deal... so unlike AIDS, which was killing people AND contagious (making even those not affected that much more motivated to want a cure I think), dry eye does not kill you, is not contagious, and is thought by most of the population to be no big deal. And let's face it, for most people, dry eye really isn't a big deal!

Any lobby for a dry eye cure would need to address these issues, otherwise dry eye could turn into the latest eye-rolling gag on late-night talk shows, know what I mean?

It would be interesting to know how many people are affected by severe, disabling dry eye... I suspect it's pretty rare... would love to know what the numbers are...

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
                        Amazing what a powerful lobby can do for sure.

One of the biggest hurdles for OUR problem is that for most people, dry eye is no big deal... so unlike AIDS, which was killing people AND contagious (making even those not affected that much more motivated to want a cure I think), dry eye does not kill you, is not contagious, and is thought by most of the population to be no big deal. And let's face it, for most people, dry eye really isn't a big deal!

It would be interesting to know how many people are affected by severe, disabling dry eye... I suspect it's pretty rare... would love to know what the numbers are...

There are other hurdles as well, namely AIDs is a political hot potato. And, let's face it, dry eye unequally affects women and men still run Washington.

I would also love to know how many are affected. There must be stats out there somewhere.
                        As you pointed out the numbers are going to grow as Baby Boomers age.
                        Last edited by browneyesblu; 03-May-2013, 16:22.

Comment

Originally posted by dryeye4ever View Post
                          its not pessisim its just that its a complex problem and its an inflammation and as like saag said, people have different diagnoses from lasik surgery to wind/medication. The diagnoses are different and i think some of us even have evaporative dry eye which i think is the majority no?

Big pharma seems to be trying to bank on big on this, i live in quebec, canada and our health care system is different. Pharmacies have been selling restasis recently but we all know its crap and its not covered by medical insurance and almost every medication is convered by insurance here.

The cure is natural, i know being 23 years old, i can cure dry eyes in 3-6 months naturally but are we willing to sacrifice our career, life and fun because of a recovery? I mean there will be no elixir, its someting that can be fixed in the long term, those of us that think that there will be a magic cure are wasting their time. Jads is a member of those forum and has proved that with a good detoxx, dry eyes can be reversed. Im an idiot and i got dry eyes because of a long term computer usage wit high brightness and brightness causes a lot of eye fatigue. Remind you that that i got dry eyess because of a laptop and your positioning isnt the same. I miss my old ass LCD monitor and you have less chances to get dry eyes since you are on a chair and are far from the screen. OLD IS GOLD.
                          We make it look like its cancer, its just someting that can be fixed in the long term but its hard to focus on recovery because we have bills to pay and etc. Should we not just take vacations for our dry eyes? we should. I almost did tis full recovery and let me tell you, you have to have the will. As for fellow canadian saag, i refuse to believe post lasik dry eye is not reversible, stay strong and i can feel your pain SAAG.
                          Can you please share your techniques on recovering your dry eye? I definitely have the time to focus on the recover with summer break coming up. I think I have evaporative dry eye and blepharitis.

Comment

Sorry site accidentally double posted, I can't seem to delete this post.

Comment

Originally posted by browneyesblu View Post
                              There are other hurdles as well, namely AIDs is a political hot potato. And, let's face it, dry eye unequally affects women and men still run Washington.

I would also love to know how many are affected. There must be stats out there somewhere.
                              As you pointed out the numbers are going to grow as Baby Boomers age.
                              My mom has said, "If men got breast cancer, it'd probably be cured by now," in response to how treatable prostate cancer is these days (obviously a male problem).

(Just realized I wrote this alluding to the idea that men do not get breast cancer... obviously they do, but not as often as women)
                              Last edited by MartyM1985; 03-May-2013, 17:20.

Comment

Working...
                              X