No announcement yet.

I cant see an end to this hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are the first people to understand my need to understand the potential hormonal side to this debilitating condition.
    I just find the coincidence between my massive fibroids (estrogen fed) and my des situation which all started around the same time, is worth considering and is currently the only thing giving me hope.
    Out of my recent major op and des, i would do the op! The eyes are far more debilitating. I just want to read.
    I think a diary is a great idea and one ive already done but not in as much detail so i will try.
    Progesterone is apparently not required now i have no ovaries but i also didnt know about the hormone-stress-anxiety-inflammation link so would like to know more.
    I know i keep saying it but thank you. i am lucky to have you.
    Off to check out the goggles! Xxx

Comment

This is from vitamin-selling and health sites, so take with a grain of salt, but here is more information on hormones:
      http://www.lifeextensionvitamins.com/prmi.html
      http://www.holisticfamilymed.com/pat...-hysterectomy/

Comment

Thanks but one more thing...
        My friend thinks due to my anxiety its the squinting causing the des and not the other way round......is this possible? am i really this bad? it scares me to think i could be somehow doing this to myself
        ...off to check the links L8 x

Comment

I was trying to remember when dry eye set it, but am not sure whether or not I can. I think the eye doctor first told me my eyes were dry after I had my hysterectomy. My eyes have gotten progressively worse over the years, but I've also had eye surgery which did not help. My gyno only gave me Estrogen, but given what I know now, I would have asked for a balance, including progesterone. No Tears is right about tipping the balance, and Faith is right about watching what you eat. Best wishes to you. Hope you find some relief soon!

Comment

Originally posted by L8rgator View Post
            I have a single dry eye, so the moisture chambers that cover both eyes are annoying for me. I only need one eye to be fogged over, and with both I can't see anything. I have found that these moisture chambers allow me to read with my good eye, while not totally obscuring the vision of my bad eye (my doctor gives me these for free):
            http://www.richmondproducts.com/shop...roduct_id=1419

The downside is my skim gets irritated by the soft open-cell foam - I have very sensitive skin. And both my cats and dogs like to chew on them. The small is for small children, and the large is for everyone else.

I end up gluing a fabric ring around it to make the surface soft. Although this week I'm experimenting with cutting and using the disposable liners for Tranquileyes, which can be found in the dry eye shop here. First attempt fell off pretty easy, but I see potential.

I have also taken my regular glasses, and used the blue tape available in the store here to seal up just one side. It worked really well - I was able to even ride a motorcycle with this once. More of a temporary thing, but nice if you want to sit and relax and don't want to be constantly fussing with moving straps back into place around your head.
            L8rgator: Why don't you invest in some real moisture chamber glasses like WileyX. Those have a replacable cloth covered foam seal that is very comfortable and I can tolerate even though I am allergic to neoprene. They are vented so that they don't fog up too badly, in fact I even plug off those vents as that lets in too much air for my liking. I can't imagine having to limp along with the moisture chambers that were on that link you provided but I can tell you that I couldn't survive without my Wiley's...F/G

Comment

I am very interested in learning more about the stress/inflammation/hormone connection. I have been doing as much reading as I can handle on the subject!! When I was first diagnosed my doctor told me to "run to my OBGYN to get my hormones tested." He told me he sees at least a dozen women in their 50's with dry eye in his practice every week! What I have learned is there has to be a BALANCE with all hormones..sex, thyroid and adrenal hormones. Our insulin levels have a lot to do with our well being too. When one system is out of whack all of the others follow. I just need to figure out how to get them in sync again. When there is lots of anxiety present it is difficult to get it all under control.

Comment

Originally posted by abbygirl View Post
                I am very interested in learning more about the stress/inflammation/hormone connection. I have been doing as much reading as I can handle on the subject!! When I was first diagnosed my doctor told me to "run to my OBGYN to get my hormones tested." He told me he sees at least a dozen women in their 50's with dry eye in his practice every week! What I have learned is there has to be a BALANCE with all hormones..sex, thyroid and adrenal hormones. Our insulin levels have a lot to do with our well being too. When one system is out of whack all of the others follow. I just need to figure out how to get them in sync again. When there is lots of anxiety present it is difficult to get it all under control.
                Amen abbygirl. Wish I knew the answer. I feel you are right on target.

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
                  L8rgator: Why don't you invest in some real moisture chamber glasses like WileyX. Those have a replacable cloth covered foam seal that is very comfortable and I can tolerate even though I am allergic to neoprene. They are vented so that they don't fog up too badly, in fact I even plug off those vents as that lets in too much air for my liking. I can't imagine having to limp along with the moisture chambers that were on that link you provided but I can tell you that I couldn't survive without my Wiley's...F/G
                  I think I was worried that they wouldn't have enough seal on my face, since they are vented. What did you use to plug off your vents? I seem to need a really good seal on my bad eye, and so far everything is either too foggy on both, or not enough seal where needed. My bad eye just happens to sit back farther, so even with regular sunglasses the good side is the one that is easier to seal. But I think I'll give them a shot. I'll try anything!

Comment

Hi L8rgator.. I don't know if anyone has suggested to you trying "Onion Goggles." I found mine at a cooking store. They have foam all around to make a nice seal and they run small for people that have small faces/need a tight seal. They are around $22.00 and have been a life saver for me. I have 3 pair. I also put my distance prescription in one pair and they work just fine. Let me warn you though.. They are NOT a thing of beauty!!

Comment

Originally posted by nutteetart View Post
                      Thanks but one more thing...
                      My friend thinks due to my anxiety its the squinting causing the des and not the other way round......is this possible?
                      So many people try to tell us it's something else, and not dry eye. Or they tell us it's in our head. Which it is only because our eyes are in our head, right? They are well meaning, but mostly I believe they do not understand. And once you are going through this for as long as some of us are you learn much about eye anatomy that you never knew before and that none of your friends have either.

You're probably squinting because your eyes feel bad, not the other way around. And then the squinting causes muscle pain around your eyes. And when everything hurts it is difficult to discern what is the cause.

You may not be blinking completely and that can also cause you (me) to squint eventually.

Comment

He told me he sees at least a dozen women in their 50's with dry eye in his practice every week! What I have learned is there has to be a BALANCE with all hormones..sex, thyroid and adrenal hormones. Our insulin levels have a lot to do with our well being too. When one system is out of whack all of the others follow.
                        This is one reason why so many women in menopause have dry eye. Their hormones are completely out of balance.

Comment

Hi L8rgator.. I don't know if anyone has suggested to you trying "Onion Goggles." I found mine at a cooking store. They have foam all around to make a nice seal and they run small for people that have small faces/need a tight seal. They are around $22.00 and have been a life saver for me. I have 3 pair. I also put my distance prescription in one pair and they work just fine. Let me warn you though.. They are NOT a thing of beauty!!
                          I did try some onion goggles, but they didn't have any type of seal on me - way too big. I think I need to try some other brands because I was just unlucky. I'll have to search some nearby stores instead of buying things online first, because it's so disappointing when something arrives and doesn't work out. I hadn't thought of trying a cooking type store.

Comment

Yes, I agree that hormones can play a key part in dry eye.. also stress. Looking back my problems began after several years of chronic stress followed by early menopause and then the dry eye. I also have Hasimotos which is made worse by stress. One makes the others worse.
                            Try to get your anxiety under control and that will help your hormones kick in. Give it time and get the moisture glasses so you can get some relief.
                            Good luck to all of us that need hormone balancing!!
                            I have rosacea and hormonal acne. Several months ago I went to a dermatologist and he suggested Spironolactone. I asked him if it would bother my dry eye and he said it wouldn't. I did research spiro and dry eye and found it was a diuretic but I figured I'd drink more. I started with a small dose and the first 3 months I was fine. Then in Sept. he increased to 2X/day. I was excited because my skin was starting to clear up. I do keep a pain journal and within 4 days of upping the dose my corneal neuralgia kicked in. I also noticed my MGD flared as well. This sometimes happens with weather changes so I ignored it. After 3 weeks of pain and discomfort I looked up spiro and MGD. OH!! It's an anti-androgen drug which does wonders for acne but your eyes NEED androgens. In fact, menopausal women develop dry eye and MGD because they are lacking in androgens. I stopped the drug completely a few days ago but I'm still miserable and my glands are completely clogged despite warm compresses 3X/day. Why didn't the dermatologist know that? I discussed my eye problem at length with him! I'm hoping my hormones will calm down and this misery stop soon. I do ok in the AM but by noon I'm a mess. The pain gets unbearable by 2pm so I get in the tub, do the compresses, drop in my restasis and celluvisc, and go to bed for an hour or two. I do feel somewhat better when I get up so some of you may want to consider that (if you can). I also have lorazepam to help with the anxiety (which I take before laying down). My eye doctor feels your eye has a better chance to heal from the dryness if you fall asleep. Besides, if I didn't take the med I'd be an anxious wreck the whole time! I'm 43 and terrified of the thought of going through menopause now. My mom was in her late 50's when it happened to her but I guess I like to worry

Comment

HI L8rgator: I plug the vents with tape used for scrapbooking and card making called sookwang. It comes in different widths so I just put one of the narrow strips on but you could cut a wider strip down. I use it because it STICKS and doesn't come off unless I take it off or it is really old, like a year or more.

The foam on a pair of Wiley's clips on and is removable so that you can get a new one if it wears out. If you only need the foam for one eye you could cut the foam part off of the clip on on the side where you don't need the protection. That would allow the foam to sit deeper onto the bad eye.

I got my Wileys from Safevision online. They sent me about 6 frames which I paid for with Visa. I was able to try them all on for fit and then was credited back when I returned them. I then ordered the glasses. If you want them primarily for outside I recommend the dark lenses. I am really photophobic so found that the verigreys were not dark enough. The dark ones are quite nice looking but the clear ones show that inner ring from the clip in foam which makes them look a bit racoonish, not so stylish. I mostly wear those ones at night at home. I highly recommend them as they are the thing that has helped me the most...cheers....F/G

Comment

Think today really is my lowest.
                                My eyes are so bad they even hurt when theyre closed.
                                I have asked for another prescription to try before i can be seen but i think its the same type of drops ive tried and tried. this one is called systane. im not holding out much hope.
                                thats all i can manage today on the computer.
                                X

Comment

Working...
                                X