Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About this depression forum

Hi everybody,

This was an archive folder with a lot of closed threads. I've moved it up to the discussion forums.

Depression in the forums is... IMO... a bit of a double edged sword.

On the one hand, I think it's vitally important that we have safe spaces to talk about depression, to even talk about having suicidal thoughts. It needs to be normalized. There are a lot of people out there who have no idea how many other people are feeling the same things they are and for the same reasons, and - we all know the drill - you worry you're not coping well, etc.

On the other hand, reading your thoughts about depression and suicide talk can be, not just a downer, but triggering and even dangerous for others.

What's cathartic to you may be toxic to someone else.

The echoes can help, and the echoes can harm.

The recent suicides reported in the press has really driven this point home to me painfully this past week. How to reconcile these things? Can we, collectively, thoughtfully, engage these issues, and make safe places, without creating new dangers for those in the most vulnerable places?

If you happened to see my blog post about the suicides you'll know I've got this on my mind a LOT right now.

As a couple of simple, first steps:
    • I've started tagging some threads with trigger warnings
    • I moved this forum out of the archives and into the discussion forums section.
    Having a forum specific to depression is not meant in any way to slow down talk about it - much the opposite - really just to contain it physically in one place so people don't accidentally stumble upon it in the middle of a ten page thread.

Anyway, that's all for now, if you have any thoughts about this please share. And if you're looking for a thread that moved, it may be that I moved it into this folder.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

I’m really sad people on the forum are still having such issues, including myself. Thanks for keeping things well balanced here. You and the site have helped me and so many others. I dont know where I would be without DEZ and some of the members.

Comment

Working...
    X