This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability for tear film deficiency problems

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with getting disability for DES, MGD, SJORGENS, etc.... I hesistate to even mention this but, personally, I am absolutely positive I am in too much discomfort and impairment to work anymore. I am still trying different treatments, and ways to cope. Disability would help me get through already mentally and physically trying times until i find a treatment.

IS it possible? How hard is it to get for a des sufferer? What is your personal experience or the experience someone you know?

I also would recommend some of you looking into getting disability especially if stress at work from the extra pain is causing severe depression like it does in my case.

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/profes...neral-info.htm

Comment

hi socratese, I am already on disablily for anxiety problems but when I get my revision packet (should be coming up this year or next year, its every 3 years) I will have to now add DES to reasons I cant work. I have no idea if DES is considered dibilitating enough but it would certainly be for me.

the frustrating thing is I had been getting a bit better with my anxietythis year & i actually went to VR to try to get help with a part time job again but in the middle of all that I got hit with very severe DES. Its like I was never meant to work.
      miserable in Miami...

Comment

how long did it take to get your disability? i guess i need to make sure that my doctor is willing and understanding enough to back me up. slightly doubtful but maybe. most docs ive dealt with are not understanding.. from what ive read it seems very hard to get on disability.

Comment

I hope that dry eyes will one day be recognised as a disability.

If it was considered a disability, then some of us would surely have cases for discrimination due to disability. Doctors who routinely "dump" or deliberately provide sub-standard care to patients with dry eyes might learn that they can no longer get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by socratese View Post
            how long did it take to get your disability? i guess i need to make sure that my doctor is willing and understanding enough to back me up. slightly doubtful but maybe. most docs ive dealt with are not understanding.. from what ive read it seems very hard to get on disability.

well I got my disability for my severe social & general anxiety about 10 years ago. I was bizarrely lucky that i got it about a year after i applied. I think b/c I had a good doctor that backed me up with documentation & reports. But Ive heard that many people have to reapply several times before they get accepted. Yes I think the doctors support is the key. Unfortunatley we all know how blase many docs can be about DES. I agree it should be considered a disability like blindness. In my case I cant use a computer for more than 5 minutes before my eyes start hurting(I have to use Work Rave) I cant read, I cant work in dusty areas, air conditioned areas or look at people directly when Im talkng to them. How am i supposed to work that way?
            miserable in Miami...

Comment

it may be too hard to get disability... so im hoping getting sclerals will give me a big crutch to lean on to get me through life..a little smoother

Comment

Working...
              X