Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dextromethorphan (ex. Delsym cough syrup) for neuropathic pain?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikki
    replied
    following up on an old thread... but, for fellow nerds -- dxm combined with quinidine is a treatment for pseudobulbar affect (PBA) (inappropriate laughter / crying). https://www.nuedexta.com/

don't have that problem, that sounds like a really difficult one to manage, socially. Glad there is a treatment for it for folks whom are affected.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by spmcc View Post
    Don't become a dexhead! (I saw this on an episode of House)

Fingers crossed. I hope it works.
    Not a chance of my becoming a dexhead lol I'm only taking it in the recommended dose on the label, so it's too low a dose to produce the euphoric/hallucinating effects that those who abuse it seek out. And besides, if I ever did experience either of those effects, it would freak me out and I'd never touch the stuff again lol

However, it's good you brought this up - during my brief googling of dex. for neuropathic pain, I saw that some of the studies used higher doses than the cough suppressant dose... wouldn't want any dry-eye zone peeps to try too high of a dose and run into trouble down the line if they are susceptible to liking some of the crazy side effects that can come from taking too much... Life is tough enough without finding oneself addicted to something crazy!!!! What a nightmare THAT would be!!!

Here's a couple extra for good measure

Leave a comment:

• robster
    replied
    Guess I could give it a go. Cough syrup can't taste any worse than the Flaxseed Oil I take everyday!

Leave a comment:

• spmcc
    replied
    Don't become a dexhead! (I saw this on an episode of House)

Fingers crossed. I hope it works.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Dextromethorphan (ex. Delsym cough syrup) for neuropathic pain?

Dextromethorphan (ex. Delsym cough syrup) for neuropathic pain?

Dr. Rosenthal had me start taking Delsym cough syrup (as directed on the package) to see if it would help with what may be a neuropathic component to my dry eye pain. I honestly didn't think much of it, didn't even google it, but figured I might as well give it a go.

Today, after a month of using it, I finally got around to googling it and there are some abstracts out there on the subject.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone wants to discuss this possibility with their doc.

Not sure at this point if it's helping me or not... so much has been going on in the last month with the sclerals that it makes it tough to sort out what's going on... in any case, whether or not it did or didn't do anything for me is irrelevant to whether or not it will help you, so I figured it was worth posting about anyways.
Working...
X