Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do u know when ur homemade sauerkraut has fermented?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do u know when ur homemade sauerkraut has fermented?

mine taste more like slaw-i tried it after 12 days..not long enough i guess?? i read somewhere it should take 3-4 weeks??? annesse or anybody know??? thanks!!! i dont want to waste my time eating it if its just cabbage!!!
    Jenny

I tasted a little bit every day - I wanted to see for myself how it changed day by day. At the very start, mine tasted like very salty cabbage, then it changed to kind of a coleslaw 'ish taste, then later on it turned distinctly sour and was definitely 'kraut!

Mine was kept in a clear glass canning jar on my kitchen counter - our kitchen temperature averages about 25 C (77 F) in summer (we've had a super hot summer here and I don't like to run the a/c more than absolutely necessary) so that no doubt sped things along (it ferments faster the warmer it is)

I noticed by the end of the fermenting process, it definitely tasted like sauerkraut - nice and sour - plus, it was no longer producing as much bubbles as before - in the beginning, I'd see the occasional great big bubble rise to the top of the brine - by the end, that never happened anymore. So now I'm keeping it loosely covered in my fridge until I finish eating this batch.

Kind of funny talking about sauerkraut here - just watch - some day someone will do a google search for fermented sauerkraut, be taken to dry eye zone and be like WTH?!?!? lol

Comment

ok mine is like coleslaw so i guessi should throw it out and try again!
      i thought 12 days was long enough.now im reading it can take 3 or 4 weeks.. maybe i keep it too cool in my place. o well.
      thanks SAAG for answering.. agian.!!!:P
      Jenny

Comment

Nonononononono! lol
        Don't throw it out... just leave it longer... it will probably change from a coleslaw flavour to sauerkraut - just make sure the cabbage is covered in brine and leave it at room temp a bit longer

Comment

Lol when I saw this subject title, I thought cool- people are using homemade sauerkraut as therapy? I think I might have been up for trying it!
          Last edited by Lacrima; 15-Sep-2012, 00:30.

Comment

i already put it in the fridge?? can i take it out and put it back at room temp? i think its too late.. i thought it was done after tasting it... but i was wrong
            Jenny

Comment

I don't see why you couldn't just take it out of the fridge and put it back to room temp for as long as it takes. Maybe do as I did and taste a little bit every day - that way you'll know for sure when it's done

Comment

u know what? i may as well try.. thanks SAAG. i will keep ya posted!! ive got nothing to lose!!! :P
                Jenny

Comment

Working...
                X