X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Television, Phone, VideoGame & CPU Setting for Dry Eyes

Hey Forums,

My name is Matt and I suffer badly from Evaporative Dry eye with Eyelid inflammation being my most painful part of this disease. Nothing irritates my worse the my IPhone, Computers and Videogames. Also not ideal while watching TV. I literally have to have a glass of water next to me to wet my eyelids every 10 minuets.

Now since so many on here also suffer from dry eyes, what are settings you use on these devices to cope better and last longer?

For the computer besides the adjust brightness settings I use a program called F.Lux which warms the colours of your computer screen, especially at night to make viewing easier on you eyes

I do the basic stuff like reducing brightness and setting the colours to the warm template but does anyone have any other tips that they find successful in helping their eyes deal with technology.

For the Iphone, the brightness is way down and another helpful tips is to go into SETTINGS, tap GENERAL, then ACCESSIBILTY then chose the Increase Contrast option. When where this allows you to turn on the Darker Colours and Reduce White Point options. Little things but they have helped with eye fatigue on my IPhone.

Technology is so constant in today's day and age and It's something we can't avoid all together so any tips would be helpful for this entire community.

Great idea for a thread here. I also use F.Lux which has been a real eye-saver for me, but had no idea that Apple had finally addressed that glaring problem with their ridiculously overly-bright iPhone displays (I only knew about the "invert colors" option). Hmm, may have to upgrade to the new iOS now to take advantage of that. I also have an older iMac (circa 2010) which had a glossy screen, made worse by the reflective glass that is placed in front of it... talk about glare! I removed the glass front panel, and although it did not help completely with reflections, it has definitely made a difference. I also played around for a long time with the display options to increase contrast and lower the white point and gamma levels. I find it amazing to see so many people using their devices these days with their excruciatingly bright white screens set to scorchingly bright-white levels

Comment

Hi!
      I was a big video game player before my dry eye started, and of course like most watched, 2-3 hours of tv too. (Crazy to think that was once easy !) I can't do this any more without issues alas.

Here's how I've got round it.

Brought a kindle and turned all the brightness settings low.
      Down loaded program's to watch tv with (in uk, BBC iplayer and such)

Watch kindle in bath!

Yes, in the bath. (On a side chair in battery mode)
      The steam from the bath means I can watch
      Tv with no issues. Ok, it's not great but it's my escape
      And like being a normal person for an hour most nights, and the steam
      Is great for your eyes.

For video games (which I can no longer play, not just the glare but the quick
      Eye movements required) I watch them on YouTube
      being played (on kindle in bath again) and then I don't feel like I've lost touch with my gaming side.
      lots of gamers do there own narration so playing the game itself isn't required to enjoy it.
      "the radbrad" is good one to watch but there are lots out there. I tend to like RPGs type games so watching them
      Is prob more fun then a shoot them up game which you can't take part in (pvp) but you never know.
      But if I don't want to do the above and my eyes are to bad some days to do anything I simply download the YouTube file
      In audio format, and just listen to the game and narration on my
      iPhone as I keep my eyes closed.

Other options are the radio (talk stations are best like radio 5 live and radio 4)
      Podcasts, and audiobooks.

Hope this helps, it's just what I've figured out as I've gone along to stay busy.
      People have recovered, so can we.
      www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Working...
      X