This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eye misery scale

I'm emailing my O.D. back and forth a couple times a week and feel the need to come up with a scale to comunicate where I'm at with eash eye. My doctor agrees and he's the one that came up with the name.
    Here's what I have so far after the 1st attempt. I realize everyone is different to some extent here in both symptoms and solutions but though it may be helpful to others and I could use input.

DEMS Index

1-I write you a nice thank you card and never see you again
    2-I'm just doing a few OTC drops per day and not wearing goggles ever
    3-I'm still doing many drops but no goggles
    4-I’m wearing goggles through short periods
    5-I get to not wear goggles for periods of time, lots of drops
    6-I'm wearing goggles full time, doing many drops and am uncomfortable
    7-I am very uncomfortable and doing everything I can think of except pain pills
    8-I’m keeping my eyes closed a lot, doing hot and/or cold compresses
    9-I'm taking pain pills and need to keep my eyes closed for over 2 hours a day
    10-Worse than it's ever been thus far
    "In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer"
    -Albert Camus

Out of curiosity, do you and your OD find the OSDI scale to be lacking?

Comment

Originally posted by odydnas View Post
      Out of curiosity, do you and your OD find the OSDI scale to be lacking?
      Great question. I do find it lacking, very much so.
      I test out as moderate (50).
      I was moderate about 10 years ago when I had punctul cauterization.
      I've been severe (from this side of the eyeballs) for 4 months now but if I truthfully answer the test questions I am not.

For those who don't know about this test you can find it here among other places:
      http://www.chronicdryeye.com/_resources/quiz.htm

-Ric
      "In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer"
      -Albert Camus

Comment

I've got OSDI scores ranging from 48 (worst case last year) to 33 (now). To be honest I really do wonder just how much use the OSDI test can be, it seems to be far too concise and lacking some seemingly important questions. Surely stuff like, 'how often do you need to use drops' and 'how many hours per day do you have eye pain' etc etc, should be in there.

I know its a baseline and better than nowt, but its still surprising to see how much it's used in DE research articles.

Comment

Working...
        X