Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Migraine bringing on dryness when it occurs?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migraine bringing on dryness when it occurs?

Ok. After my little migraine today which went away ( i was lucky) my eyes got very very dry and irritated.. AFter about 4 hours I am feeling back to my normal. feeling good.

Has anyone out there with migraines experienced eye pain like dryness out of nowhere and inflammation because of the migraine? my eyes got all red too-and i didn't do anything out of the ordinary. feeling better now but just wondering if it is my sjogrens or if the migraine "hurt" my eyes for a temporary period.. I welcome any responses!!
    thank you!
    Jenny

I have not noticed increased dryness with migraines unless I was in bed for an extended period and could not or did not get to my drops. I also get what are thought to be ocular migraines and don't see any increase in my DES symptoms due to those either. Could migraine medication perhaps have a drying effect to your eyes?
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I have found that medications for strong pain, like in my case dental pain, like Tramadol, lidocaine, codeine, etc. dry my eyes A LOT. I do not know whether that goes for all strong painkillers, or just certain kinds. But now, I prefer to bear more pain with weaker pain killers, rather tha bear the dry eye pain from the stronger ones...

Comment

To me, it's which came first, the chicken or the egg? I find that extreme dryness in my eyes brings on eye pain point blank in the eye and then it moves up to the forehead. Sometimes it's only on one side, other times not. I'm not classifying the headache as a migrane because i don't think I get them.

Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

jenny2008

My migraine headaches are caused by allergens/irritants that trigger a severe inflammatory response, particular throughout my eye and my sinuses.

So the "dryness" occurs prior to the headache and for me, is not really dry eye. It is an inflammatory reaction that feels like surface dryness but goes much deeper.

For me, aggressively treating the inflammatory response works best for treating the migraine. I use Sudafed Sinus (pseudoephedrine plus naproxen sodium) and cold compresses on my left eye (my migraines always occur unilaterally on the left side).

Sudafed does cause dryness for 12 hours. But that kind of dryness is bearable for me compared to the pressure, pain, eye burning, nausea, sensitivity to light, sensitivity to movement, etc. that comes with migraines.

PS: I tried Imitrex but I can't keep it down.

PPS: I never once had a migraine headache until I had LASIK surgery 11 years ago. Coincidence? I think not.

Scout

Comment

Thanks everyone..
            well I had another nifty little migraine right on the way to work around 11am! I stil didn't have my migraine meds so I took a xanax and drink some coke a cola--helped .. was able to work..
            Now , I picked up my Zomig nasal spray for migraines. I will try that the next time I get one.. I think stress is bringing them on... o well

thanks again everyone.
            Jenny

Comment

I had chronic migraines for 3 months, day and night non stop. I was depressed and I didn't know about that. I did not notice my eyes more dyer than usual. However when I took anti depressants they totally dried out my eyes.

I'm a 22 y/o male, I had never experienced depression/migraines before.

Comment

Working...
              X