Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe DE pain ---what PAIN MEDICINE can be taken for it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe DE pain ---what PAIN MEDICINE can be taken for it?

I have severy dry eye as a result of blepharitis "of some kind" I haven't been properly dianosed yet so I don't know which.

In previous days whenever the pain came on I tried to guess what the cause might be but as my eyes don't tell me if they're hurting because of a fungal infection, an allergy, or anything else I just kept "guessing" what the problem might be, so I instilled eye drops for different things. At times the antibotic eye drops worked, other times the allergy drops, and most of the times none of them seemed to do anything.

I find the pain comes and goes without me being able to trace it to anything in particular so I'd like to know if there is any pain medication that takes the itching and burning away. I've used Tremadol but it hasn't helped.

Re: recent research on chronic neuropathic pain

There was a recent study (Aug 30, 2010) in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

See here: http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/abstr...e2=tf_ipsecsha

One of the side effects of the treatment was dry eyes... which happens with a lot of pain killers (opiates, narcotics, oral NSAIDS, lyrica...).

I found a general rule to be that if 'constipation' and/or 'dry mouth' is listed as a side effect, then that means drier eyes for me!
    Last edited by spmcc; 13-Sep-2010, 07:29.

Comment

Hi Ariel,

Tramadol makes the eyes terribly dry!

Most of the pain killers do-- like Lyrica, etc. besides they have serious other side effects, and potential serious skin allegy reactions.

You could try topical NSAIDs-- Acular and Xibrom work wonders for itchy painful eyes. However, they might sting awfuly upon instillation if your eyes are inflamed. Akular used to sting me horribly and gradually as my inflammation subsided I would not feel it.I used to take it immediately after the FML to minimize the sting.

Neuropathic pain is terrible-- in dry eye the inflammation, possible mucous strands attached to the cornea, and the desiccation expose the nerves on the surface to a lot of irritation and erratic stimulation, so yes, the pain can become maddening.

I have been advised that very small doses Remeron in combination with very small doses Rivotril at bedtime give a good sleep and combat neuropathic pain as well. The drying efect with very small doses of these is minimal. It is really worth it, as it also has an overall calming effect. You might consult with a doctor about these medications.

Also, as you will be taking FML now as I understand fro you other post, it is supposed to reduce pain and itching dramatically due to suppressing the inflammation.

So, just try not to worry too much, I can see a fast recovery on your horizon as long as you take your condition and its treatment seriously. Dry eye that has reached this stage of inflammation with corneal defects does not resolve on its own. It requires persistent treatment, patience and confidence that the effort will pay back. Usually it does.

Good luck,
      Dani

Comment

Working...
      X