Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will antidepressants actually take the pain away?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will antidepressants actually take the pain away?

I have has constant burning pain every day for the past 7-8 months due to dry eye and MGD. It has affected my ability to work and lead a normal life.

My doctor has suggested antidepressants for the pain. It's 1 tablet a day at night (because it causes drowsiness), however the dose will have to be increased gradually (not sure why, something to do with my body getting used to it).

Will this really resolve the pain? Or is the intention will just make me more able to 'deal' with the pain?

which antidepressant did you get from your doctor?

There are special antidepressants which work in two ways:
    1. They help you feeling better (work against depression)
    2. They help against pain

If you've got one of these antidepressants, its possible that it works against your pain, too.
    I know that lyrica and Cymbalta belong to that group of antidepressants. I tried lyrica, but with now success. Now I'm on Cymbalta.

You have to be very careful with antidepressants. Lots of them dry out your eyes. Perhaps you have to try several ones before you find the right drug for you.
    Please don't hesitate to correct my English - I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by britgirl View Post
      I have has constant burning pain every day for the past 7-8 months due to dry eye and MGD. It has affected my ability to work and lead a normal life.

My doctor has suggested antidepressants for the pain. It's 1 tablet a day at night (because it causes drowsiness), however the dose will have to be increased gradually (not sure why, something to do with my body getting used to it).

Will this really resolve the pain? Or is the intention will just make me more able to 'deal' with the pain?
      Amitripyline sometimes helps with the chronic pain although it just made me drowsy
      and 'out of it' for much of the time.

Comment

@Irish eyes, that's good to hear. So amitripyline didn't dry your eyes out? I'm looking for an pain-antidepressant which doesn't dry out my eyes. Did it dry out your mouth?
        I'm really desperate right now because of my severe nerve pain, the depression I got because of the pain and the fact that most drugs against depression dry out my eyes:-(
        Please don't hesitate to correct my English - I'm still learning

Comment

amitriptyline

Hi Susie28

Amnitriptyline was, quite literally, a life saver for me. I only take it very occasionally now and it doesn't dry my eyes out. I use it mainly at night as it does make me drowsy and 'out of it' like Irish eyes says, but I get a good solid sleep as it deadens the pain overnight. Also if pain becomes too much that I don't know what to do with myself, I take one then and just rest and doze, and it is amazing how just a few hours away from pain can help to cope with it the rest of the time. Hope this helps, good luck. Liz
          Originally posted by Susie28 View Post
          @Irish eyes, that's good to hear. So amitripyline didn't dry your eyes out? I'm looking for an pain-antidepressant which doesn't dry out my eyes. Did it dry out your mouth?
          I'm really desperate right now because of my severe nerve pain, the depression I got because of the pain and the fact that most drugs against depression dry out my eyes:-(

Comment

Hi Susie

No, it didn't make my eyes any worse - or any better. I seem to recall my mouth feeling a little dry but nothing major.

Hi Lizibet

It's great that it helps you - and perhaps your way of using it now and again is a better idea than taking it as routine. I agree that quality sleep can make one feel a little more robust and able to cope with the debilitating symptoms.

I'm thinking of having acupuncture again, just to `reboot' my system and give me a bit more energy. I know that it doesn't work for everyone though.

Comment

Working...
            X