X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about the scleral lens "basket" case

hey there,
    I recently ordered on of these nifty little devices, only to discover that my sclerals won't fit (they are the hard acrylic models measuring about 30 mm on the long axis).

This device would be perfect for the soft variety scleral lens (of which mine is not). here is the image of my sclerals with a ruler for scale:

the cages were not large enough for these sclerals. However, they are perfect for toric sclerals or scleral soft lenses. Can anyone get ahold ofm the boston foundation for sight and see if they have larger units?

Wow... so THAT is what sclerals look like! I had no idea! Cool.

Sorry... I know that has nothing to do with your question... but I've never seen what a pair of sclerals looks like, so I thought it was really neat. Thanks for the pic!

Comment

you're welcome!

those are the "hard shell" types designed from eyes with bad appearance (or in my case, extreme light sensitivity). they are opaque so if anyone else were to wear them, they'd be as blind as I am (with or without in my case).

These ones were impression molded from my ocular cavity (with eyes intact). they are definitely larger and thicker than ordinary sclerals (the boston foundation makes clear, thin RGP sclerals for those that need visual correction and protection of their sensitive corneas). I still need some kind of cleaning/storage for my sclerals but for now, I let them soak in hydrogen peroxide in a small screw-top jar when they are not in use.

Comment

Wow. I was puzzled when you posted this as they looked like full eye prosthetics. So this is lens shape but goes over your eyes???
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
          Wow. I was puzzled when you posted this as they looked like full eye prosthetics. So this is lens shape but goes over your eyes???
          technically they are a "full eye prosthetic". in this case, they are the thin acrylic shell type. They are for cosmetic as well as light protection (my eyes are so sensitive to light that any amount above a certain point causes me no end of debilitating pain.

They are nice in that they also function to hold fluid next to my cornea. I can leave these things in for several days at a time, but I do have to take them out from time to time in order to properly clean them. and yeah, they are lens shaped (no correction, just opaque). I was hoping that cage would have worked as a storage media for them. anyway? thats what they are. and yeah, without them, I have very dry eyes (painful even on exposure to air).

oh yeah, in case you are wondering ow it is I am typing in here, check out VoiceOver (apple's accessibility software for the blind). its built right in and works great.

Comment

Working...
          X