This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone tried false eyelashes?

odd question i know.. but i have to get a prof family pic. ughh.. and my eyelashes are sparse.. was wondering if anyone used false eyelashes for occassions and if so will the glue kill my eyes and eyelids??/
    Jenny

Hard to know how it will effect you personally until you try it I suppose...

For what it's worth, I had to wear them about 18 years ago for performances with my dance group at the time... back then, my eyes were normal, and I even wore soft contacts... but the glue from the eyelashes made my eyes burn on and off while wearing them... my eyes would be somewhat red after removing them too. Couldn't imagine wearing them now with my eyes the way they are... mind you, maybe they make a less irritating, more gentle glue nowadays....

Comment

I used to wear them all of the time for fancy events. For me, I could never get the individual clusters right but found the strips to work IF I cut them in half and used them just on the outer edges. I used brand new eyelash glue each time to be safe. I wouldn't suggest doing it a lot but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Take extra care of your eyes morning of and the day after. Plan for a rough day or two afterward (not that I experienced it but it can't hurt to be prepared). Clean your lids very well following removal.

Life is hard enough when you've got eye issues, particularly with your lashes, as a female. Sometimes you just have to do what makes you feel pretty. IMO there's nothing wrong with that. My former doctor made me feel like garbage because I wanted to wear makeup during the few times I was on camera. Don't let anyone or your disease make you feel like that. If it's going to make YOU feel prettier, do it. It's not like you do it regularly. You deserve to feel confident and pretty and if false lashes do that for you, it is worth it as long as it's not every day. Just take special care of your eyes before and after and know that you may feel some discomfort. Let the photo know that you have an issue and let him know you want him to photoshop any redness out too. We sacrifice a lot because of this syndrome / disease; we don't have to sacrifice everything all of the time though.

Whatever you decide, feel confident and know you look beautiful. We all deserve it.

Comment

with my sensitive eyelids i better not try. i cant even tolerate mascara-and dont you have to use mascara to set the eyelashes???
        Jenny

Comment

You don't have to but it does help them blend in. If you can't tolerate mascara, you're right, probably best not to try.

Comment

I was thinking about posting this question the other day when I saw some crazy fun eyelashes for Halloween in interesting colors and shapes. I am dressing up as a witch and I would have loved to wear them. Oh well, there are worse things in life than not having the perfect Halloween costume. I'd rather not take the chance of increasing my inflammation.

Comment

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
              with my sensitive eyelids i better not try. i cant even tolerate mascara-and dont you have to use mascara to set the eyelashes???
              I was just curious about the problem you have had with mascara? When I first developed this condition, I was not able to wear eye make up, especially mascara, I always used the wash off with soap and water kind, and had always heard that the waterproof kind was irritating, well for myself it was the wash off kind being washed into my eyes with all the drops and goop I needed to constantly put in my eyes, I have been using the waterproof and no more troubles. Just a thought, you may not be able to tolerate any, but just wanted to pass it on. For me, who just didn't feel good without make up it made a big difference. As far as the false lashes go I agree maybe too risky.

Comment

HI What do you remove the waterproof mascara with? rop

I have always found oils (used to remove waterproof mascara) so irritating... Do you have another way of removal you use? Thanks Shell

Comment

I had a wedding to go to about a year ago and I was hell-bent on wearing mascara.. so I wore waterproof. Same as you, I find the oily waterproof removers irritating...

So, I tried olive oil instead as an experiment - it worked, and seemed less irritating that the commercial stuff... I just used it with my eyes shut, and after I was done, used Cetaphil oily skin cleanser to remove most of the excess oil... this worked pretty well for me.

Comment

Best one yet is Avons moisture effective eye makeup remover lotion, I actually looked at the bottle, knew it had a long name. Lol, I did try the Loreal one in the green bottle, it was pretty effective, but has that oil/water mixture, what I found was I use the Avon one, and rinse it off with water, it is too creamy to come off altogether and while my eyes are still closed I use my regular face wash to remove any cream left behind, I just bought five bottles as they were on sale for 99€ can't beat that, right. Hope this helps.

I'm gonna try the olive oil too, seems like this would be good for your eyes and skin!

Comment

hey girls. thanks for the great advise.. i think i will buy some waterproof mascara to try tomorrow or so... my lashes have gone from being really full to a bit sparse but i still have a lot more than the normal woman my age 37--yikes bday was yest.. boy do i feel old. lol

if i cant hack the mascara (or maybe it will be enough for my eyes to pop) i def wont try false lashes. most likely i wont..its just a fantasy.. today my eyes were not horrible but i had to use a lot of drops-dry and itchy at times but i had another bday celecbration and used shawdow and waterproof eyeliner. so glad i did cause pics were taken.. and i seriously think it made me feel sooo much better about myself!!!
                      Jenny

Comment

Happy Birthday Jenny! Old? I turned 55 this summer, now that's really scary! I don't feel much different, except I'm obviously breaking down, with this eye thing and all. I just feel better with makeup and I would really feel bad if I couldn't ever wear it Any more glad you felt great on your DAY!

Comment

What do you guys use for under-eye concealer? That's one of the biggest hurdles for me in terms of makeup - I can't use the regular stuff because the drops (both eyes) and overflowing tears (my right) just make it look blotchy and streaky after a while... don't know what's worse... the natural dark circles under my eyes or streaky concealer... errr... prob. the streaky concealer, hence, I haven't been using it in ages....

I've never been able to find waterproof under-eye concealer... anyone have better luck?

Comment

i use Coveralend i order online.. it is the best i have found so far and not too $$$ .. a tube lasts forever. it seems to be the most moisturizing i have ever tried but it doesnt get cakey and i rarely retouch (maybe for pics..) otherwise it stays on pretty much all day.
                            Jenny

Comment

I've been using the eye cream by Mary Kay first, and then I use the physicians formual mineral makeup on my dark circles, for some reason it doesnt run like everything else I've tried especially the concealers I have the same problem you have it looks cakey and runs with the constant drops. I had never heard of coveralend, but I'm gonna see if I can find it on line.

Comment

Working...
                              X