X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffy eyes and/or dark circles?

Hi to everyone,

Does meibomian inflammation problems ever cause swollen under-eye "bags" and/or dark circles around the eyes?

I've had problems with this for years. Allergy shots didn't help much. And now, undereye concealors, makeup, etc. are a real pain to deal with along with compresses and eyedrops, not to mention the very real physical pain and blurred vision. I'm feeling really ugly.

What will ice packs do for MGD? Massage? Does heat make your eyes swell more? What about lid scrubs? What are the names of some; Ocu?___; I can't remember.

Also, as a first purchase, what would you all consider most beneficial? ThermalEyes, TranquilEyes or Panoptx (with lineless bifocal script) and where can I find a store where I can try on Panoptx for the proper style/fit?

Sorry, I'm new and very ignorant of these things and need help.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Carolyn

re eye bags and dark circles.

Since my des started i too have developed under eye bags and dark circles a bit of swelling too..I find that a ice compress under eyes first thing in morning and at night helps I can sympathise with you as i have lost a lot of canfidence due to the appearance of my eyes...I have found out recently that warm compresses should go on top of eyelid as i was putting a hot rice sock under eyes too covering whole area and it made dark circles a lot worse...

Comment

Originally posted by cherrybrandy
      i was putting a hot rice sock under eyes too covering whole area and it made dark circles a lot worse...
      I am wondering if excessive heat might be (part of) the problem here? Just a thought. I was speaking yesterday with a lady who had I think something similar. She had been advised to use EXTREMELY hot washcloths and started getting some skin darkening around the eyes that has not gone away. When she noticed what was happening she backed off on the heat. With any compress it's very important to make sure it's not too hot so as to avoid risk of burning. More is not necessarily better when it comes to heat treatment.

Originally posted by CarolynYvonne
      What will ice packs do for MGD? Massage? Does heat make your eyes swell more? What about lid scrubs? What are the names of some; Ocu?___; I can't remember.
      Ice probably won't do anything for MGD specifically but it's a good pain soother. Lid massage following heat treatment can help loosen up hardened secretions, but you should try to get medical advice and a demo of how to do this. Heat - assuming it's a reasonable amount! - should not cause swelling, its purpose is to loosen up the meibomian secretions. (Doxycycline and/or Omega 3 supplements are also treatments targeting this.)

Lid scrubs are for lid hygiene, to eliminate blepharitis which for some patients is a primary cause of MGD. One brand is Ocusoft. Another (that I heard about yesterday for the first time is Stygiene. There is also a foam cleanser out recently called Sterilid. You don't necessarily have to buy lidscrub gear/products to do lid hygiene. I use a Q-tip and unpreserved saline, personally.

Also, as a first purchase, what would you all consider most beneficial? ThermalEyes, TranquilEyes or Panoptx (with lineless bifocal script) and where can I find a store where I can try on Panoptx for the proper style/fit?
      Just fyi, ThermoEyes is not a standalone product - it's an accessory for Tranquileyes. Re Panoptx, the manufacturer has a dealer locator at this link.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Lots of good info..Thank you

Rebecca,
        Thank you so much for answering my post so quickly and in depth. I am thinking of trying the tranquileyes/thermoeyes combo I saw on the product site.

I checked the locator site and there are none listed for my city but I am going to check the Harley shop and the sunglass huts and ask my opthamologist about it.

I appreciate the support here very much. I am really struggling with the pain and blurred vision part as well as the feeling ugly/feeling better physically with nothing around my eyes, i.e. makeup, creams, etc.

I have the Unisol saline and q-tips; I will try that and also lessen the heat in my compresses. I have been getting them a little hot.

Thanks again,

CarolynYvonne

Comment

I have the same problem of dark circles underneath my eyes. Initially my condition was worse from years of hot compresses soaked in water -- until I switched to rice baggies. Back then the skin around my eyes would actually be red and sort of burned, even looking like it was nicked open in some spots. It's better now using a rice baggy -- but anyway, one trick that works for me is applying vaseline on the skin around the eyes at night. It seems to ameliorate the condition. When I told a dermatologist I was doing this, he told me it was the right thing to do and had no other suggestions.

Comment

It's been almost 1 month since I got my Tranquileyes goggles, and I can't believe how much different my eyes look. Before I used to have the dark, heavy bags under the eyes no matter how much sleep I got, but even today with only 3 hours of sleep (early for chruch after a late night), my eyes look way better than they did two months ago. I definitely suggest them for anyone who isn't using them. Also, because I have lagophthalmos (incomplete closure), my eyes feel much more moist when I wake up in the mornings after wearing the goggles. However, when I does off for even 5 minutes without the goggles, my eyes dry up.
            FOR WE WALK BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT (2 Corinthians 5:7).

Comment

I also started using vasoline because i wipe my eyes alot and hey get very red and sore.. the vasoline helps some. I also have bags/dark circles under my eyes.. nothing heps even sleep.. i am gonna try the goggles...

Comment

Thanks! and on goggles, vaseline, tips

Originally posted by ericdinn
                -- but anyway, one trick that works for me is applying vaseline on the skin around the eyes at night. It seems to ameliorate the condition. When I told a dermatologist I was doing this, he told me it was the right thing to do and had no other suggestions.
                Thank you Ericdinn! I was wondering about vaseline this morning and as I don't plan on being out a lot today, I just put some all around my eyes and it is very soothing.

Rebecca,
                I have cooled my compresses down. I think that was definately a factor. I was getting them very hot; I wanted to melt that gunk out all at once I guess! I used my TranquilEyes goggles last night along with TheraDrops (Thank you, Rebecca!) and they were VERY soothing. I used them before bed, in the middle of the night and again this morning. I don't want to take them off!

I wanted to respond to some other people's posts but I'm not savvy enough to know how to go back and put more than one quote in a post, so, I'll be back!

Hugs!
                CY

Comment

Thanks, Reggie

Originally posted by Reggie
                  It's been almost 1 month since I got my Tranquileyes goggles, and I can't believe how much different my eyes look. Before I used to have the dark, heavy bags under the eyes no matter how much sleep I got, but even today with only 3 hours of sleep (early for chruch after a late night), my eyes look way better than they did two months ago. I definitely suggest them for anyone who isn't using them. Also, because I have lagophthalmos (incomplete closure), my eyes feel much more moist when I wake up in the mornings after wearing the goggles. However, when I does off for even 5 minutes without the goggles, my eyes dry up.
                  Thank you, Reggie!
                  That is very encouraging! Last night was my first night with my TranquilEyes goggles and I love them! Thanks for responding.

CarolynYvonne

Comment

To Angela

Originally posted by angela641
                    I also started using vasoline because i wipe my eyes alot and hey get very red and sore.. the vasoline helps some. I also have bags/dark circles under my eyes.. nothing heps even sleep.. i am gonna try the goggles...
                    Thanks for posting! I really scrubbed my eyes too hard with a hot washcloth last night and have the vaseline on now. I just tried the TranquilEyes goggles last night, and I would recommend you get some ASAP! They feel so wonderful!

CarolynYvonne

Comment

Good stuff Carolyn, I know things'll get better.

Comment

Reggie: Sorry I did not answer your post earlier. I was unable to send a private message. Duh. So, I will answer you here. I am so happy that the tranquil eyes are helping you. The surgery to raise the lower eyelids, and close the outer corners helped tremendously. However. still a small amt. of lagothalmus. I would do it again.It looks good, neither procedure harmed my appearance. I haven't been posting much lately since I am also doing much better. What I found is that I started taking NAC (2 pills per day) I purchased at the health food store, and after about one month of doing so every day, my problem is so much better, and this would normally be the worst time of the year for me. So, for me NAC works wonders. I also take fish oil and flaxseed, but did not notice much change with those. Take care

Comment

Thanks Monamour,
                          I have also been contemplating taking NAC, but I want to know what type have improvement have you been experiencing (less discomfort, better appearance, increased tear production, etc)? Also, how long have you been on the flaxseed oil and fish oil supplements, and have you completely stopped now. I have been on the dryvites (combines both oils) for a month, and am not sure whether it's helping. I'm gonna be on it for a little longer before I grab a hold of NAC.

Take care,
                          Reg

Comment

Reggie: I am still taking one flaxseed oil capsule per day. Also the thera tears nutrition.I have been doing this for a long time like maybe a couple of years. However, no significant difference until I started on NAC. It did take approx. one month. My husband felt it helped him right away, but his problem is much milder than mine. The difference I feel is I do not get up with red irritated eyes, and they feel and look good thruout the day. I will on most days put a warm washcloth on my eyes upon awakening for 15 to 30 minutes, depending on how much time I have. It is very soothing, and stops any grittiness I may be feeling from sleeping with some degree of exposure to my eyes. Nothing is perfect, but I can function so much better thruout the day without thinking about my eyes 24/7. All in all, NAC made my eyes feel so much better. I don't know what is in it that works, but hey, I can handle that. Take care

Comment

Nac

What is NAC? Whats it stand for?

Comment

Working...
                              X